Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I said it to him a few years ago In passing that he was getting too big and he needed to be careful about it. He is very hard to knock off a ball but he has lost a lot of his mobility and speed now that he is gone so bulky

Some of the scores he took were excellent. His use of space was very good. He didnā€™t need a pile of room to make things happen.

:rollseyes:

Connors is one of those lads who was wildly overrated. Canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen him hurl a storm in years.
Every year lads would be blowing about him but heā€™d get regularly cleaned.
An abrasive marker but he lost his trump card of the yard of pace years ago.

2 Likes

ā€˜Hurl a stormā€™

:see_no_evil: :laughing:

Ballygunner are playing Ballysaggart in the intermediate final next Sunday. Probably the biggest and smallest clubs in the county in terms of catchment/pick.

Nearly all the development in Waterford City over last 20 years or so has been out the Dunmore Road side of town. Thereā€™s over 800 in the National School in Ballygunner now and over 200 in the Gaelscoil in Ballygunner. Iā€™m told that 25 years, there was the one primary school in Ballygunner with about 250 in it.

Is it not a bit early to make those decisions? They may well be done, but Iā€™d be interested to see who heā€™s brought in instead.

1 Like

I think it is to make a statement and start a culture. Sometimes cages need to be rattled and markers laid down early

1 Like

And I understand that, I do.

But how long has he had his selectors? Has he even met last yearā€™s panel yet? Maybe he knew he was getting the job for a long time and knows all suitable players inside out.

In his prime Connors was absolutely top quality, anyone who says he was wildly over-rated is an idiot. He wasnā€™t far off being the best corner back in the country for a few years.

As has been said he looked to have bulked up too much in recent years. Lost that yard of pace.

Big call from Cahill. Heā€™s not afraid of making the hard decisions, clearly.

1 Like

Connors hardly a troublemaker I wouldā€™ve thought?

Stephen Frampton and Stephen Molumphy are two selectors. Two very smart guys whoā€™d be well versed with the local scene in their home county. Iā€™d imagine Cahill would have been leaning heavily on the two Stephens in selecting this first panel. Both Connors and Maurice will be 30 by the time next year rolls around and both on a downward trajectory for a while now.

How long ago were they appointed though?

Obviously, I would expect that youā€™d use the knowledge of your locally-based selectors in choosing your first (presumably extended panel).

Correct. As good a corner back as Iā€™ve seen. His performance on Conor Whelan in the 2017 final being a prime example.

By God.

A put down + agreement in one post. Cheers.

Whelan has the same issue as Noelie

2 Likes

I would have thought Conors was more underrated than overrated. An out and out corner back and probably the best in the country for a few years.

1 Like

This decade hasnā€™t been a great one for outstanding full backline play compared to previous decades

Is there some question that ballygunner intermediates could go to senior? A fella from down that way told me it wasnā€™t dealt with in rule bookā€¦seems ridiculous to me