We Win Again!

Liam Griffin, Brian Cowen, Roy Keane, Eric Elwood your towns took one hell of a beating! ULSTER 3 23 Counties 1

NEWCASTLE, CO Down, has been named Irelands Best Kept Town in an all-island competition.

The competition awards, which were presented in Dublin Castle yesterday, also honoured Ennis, Co Clare, as the Irelands Best Kept Large Urban Centre; Loughgall, Co Armagh, as Irelands Best Kept Village; and Glenties, Co Donegal, as Irelands Best Kept Small Town.

The cross-Border awards were set up in 1995, arising from the Best Kept competition in the North established 52 years ago, and the Republics Tidy Towns competition, which this year marks its 51st anniversary.

The aim of the Best Kept awards is to improve the standard of towns and villages across the island. This years judges praised the cleanliness, outward appearance of buildings and the natural amenities of Newcastle.

The town lies on the Co Down coast, where the mountains of Mourne famously sweep down to the sea, as immortalised by the musician Percy French in 1896. Its five-mile beach is overlooked by Northern Irelands highest peak, Slieve Donard, which rises to 850 metres (2,796ft).

The same beach is also a step from the Royal County Down Golf Course and its easier companion course, while sailing boats ply the harbour and there is salmon fishing in the Shimna river. The town is also famous for a promenade.

Newcastles combination of mountains, beach and town has often been compared to that in east Wicklow.

Facilities include the Tropicana, which has outdoor pools and an adventure playground while exhibitions and films are shown at the adjacent Newcastle Centre. The recreation grounds include a bowling green, childrens boating pool, tennis and miniature golf, while Donard Park offers walks by the Glen River.

Ennis, Co Clare, is known for its narrow streets while Loughgall, Co Armagh, with its country park, is known as a pleasant family holiday destination. Glenties, Co Donegal, was the first winner of the Republics Tidy Towns competition.

This years participants also included: Coolagown, Co Cork; Emy, Co Tipperary; Clonakilty, Co Cork; Richhill, Co Armagh; Castlebar, Co Mayo; Holywood, Co Down; Westport, Co Mayo; Drogheda, Co Louth, and Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh.

At the awards ceremony yesterday, Minister of State for the Environment Michael Finneran said the competition represented some of the best of the Tidy Towns and Best Kept competitions.

Stephen Peover, permanent secretary at the Northern Ireland Department of the Environment, said the awards sent an important environmental message to a range of audiences.

It is unique in its ability to unite all sections of a neighbourhood, from very young schoolchildren to those involved in the business community.

the coastline from down to the giants causeway is stunning - stayed in newcastle before & loved it

well done

[quote=“north county corncrake”]the coastline from down to the giants causeway is stunning - stayed in newcastle before & loved it

well done[/QUOTE]

Thanks NCC. As I said in another thread one of the positive things about the recession is more southerners are coming north to see its countryside. Pity some of them leave their manners down south however!

Congratulations, larry.

Cheers Bandage. To be honest with you its a bit like the All Ireland in GGA/GAA. It is a harder task for Ulster towns to beat each other than to beat the towns in the other 23 counties. Real battle takes place up north and then once thats conquered its a relatively simple task for the Newcastles of this world to be taking on the southerners!

I recently stayed in Creggagh in Loyalist East Belfast. Decent chippers.

Thanks. What you get in them SS?

Just a cheese burger and chip. Decent.

Was in Lisburn on sunday but didn’t eat anything.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]

Was in Lisburn on sunday but didn’t eat anything.[/QUOTE]

Was there myself on Saturday. Didn’t look great actually.

Saw my first bona fide Orange man there on sunday, resplendent in his LOL sash and the whole lot. There must be more churches per square foot up there than in any place in the world, besides perhaps bible belt America.

Have I missed something?
Did something happen to our counties?
Have Shell taken stolen a few of them?

Yeah nice to see diversity of Ulster all right. Couldn’t say you find it in the other provinces

23 + 9 = 1

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Have I missed something?
Have Shell taken stolen a few of them?[/QUOTE]

other 24?

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Have I missed something?
Have Shell taken stolen a few of them?[/QUOTE]

What you mean?
Ulster has 9 counties
Munster has 6 counties
Leinster has 12 counties
Connacht has 5 counties
By my reckoning 6+12+5=23

:thumbsup:

And there was I thinking Larry had a case of dyslexia 23=32…

[quote=“larryduff”]What you mean?
Ulster has 9 counties
Munster has 6 counties
Leinster has 12 counties
Connacht has 5 counties
By my reckoning 6+12+5=23[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Indeed