Weekend Betting

A lot of people have been asking me when I’m going to give my next Superleague bet as I’m 5 from 5 (3 of those from Warrington).

Ignoring my beloved Wolves this week who travel to Bradford to play Bradford of all teams. They should win but I’m a small bit concerned that they’ve been grinding out wins more than expected usually and the 12 point requirement is on the steep side. I’d still fancy them to do it with their big names back (Briers and Morley in particular) but I’ll only have a small interest there.

On Sunday Hull FC travel to Huddersfield and they’re give a 6 point start by the bookies. Hull sit two places and four points above their opponents and travel to the game on the back of 4 wins in a row, one against the mighty St Helens. Other than the epic win against Saints they haven’t been spectacular over that period but four wins in a row isn’t bad form, no matter who the opposition.

Huddersfield have lost 4 of their last 5. It’s not as bad form as it seems because they’ve been beaten by Warrington, Saint Helens and Wigan twice in that period. They’ll fancy their chances of stopping the rot in this match but I’d have the two teams about even and can’t ignore a 6 point handicap for Hull FC as a headstart.

Elsewhere I’m expecting a big score between Leeds and Crusaders, two teams let down to varying degrees by defences that don’t quite match their attacking talents. Crusaders have conceded 170 in their last 4 games but have run in 20 points or more in 3 of those. Haven’t found an overs bet for it yet but will be taking a look for that.

Finally the Catalan Dragons are marginal favourites against Wakefield on Saturday evening (4 point margin). They’ve lost 9 in a row (home and away) and are playing against a team 5 places above them. Wakefield have only lost once to a team below them this season, this is a trip to Catalonia so it’s supposed to be intimidating and all that but the better team should win, the 4 point cushion is a bonus.

Summary
Hull and Wakefield to win with the handicap.

The run had to end sometime Rocko, cracking game between St Helens and my beloved Wigan yesterday, St Helens just holding on for a finish.

Was some pissed off with those bets. Wakefield and Hull were both leading with 10 minutes to go, both lost and then both lost the handicap too.

Yesterday’s game was an absolute cracker. Took Wigan ages to get scores on the board but that was some performance from St Helens and did very well to hold them out. Didn’t think they could win at Wigan without Eastmond but they didn’t miss him.

Wigan are not quite the finished article yet, they have been flakey enough in the 3 matches they have lost this season, giving up a 20 point lead at Bradford and an 18 point lead when losing at home to Harlequins. Sean O’Loughlin was obviously a big loss to Wigan yesterday.
They have some good young players like Darrell Goulding, Joel and Sam Tomkins, although no sign of Goulding yesterday.
Harrison Hanson, a long term injury, is also a major absentee for the Warriors.