Wexford GAA 2008

Racist

As for the hurling, Dublin won comfortably in the end yesterday but they were shocking in the first half according to a TFK scout I spoke to. Despite what the media say, especially poor old Sen O’Ceallachin predicting they’ll win an All Ireland in the next 2 years, they’re not any better than last year when we were miles better than them but somehow conspired to only beat them by a point. If we have anything about us, anything at all, we should defeat them but the results on the challenge match circuit of late don’t inspire confidence as to how we’re shaping up ourselves.

Can anyone confirm or deny that Dublin had 3 “outsiders” playing yesterday?

Being Corcoran, Burke and Qualter?

If that is the case then what the fook are they at? Does it not defeat the purpose of all the hard work they’ve been doing at under age level in recent times?

It would be (Fin)galling to be a young Dub sitting on the side lines watch foreigners playing instead of you.

From wxsupporter.com

maguire (24) - Boden : Good keeper but seems to be developing bad habits, his messin can cost us the odd point.

corocran (?) - Crokes : Galwayman : Captain of the undedogs I believe, just moved to Crokes. Never seen him play.

hiney (24) - Boden : More comfortable at HB but our best current option at 3

brady (u21) - Na Fianna : Member of the 05 leinster winning minor team and last years u21s, Much better player in the HB line as well but injuries to both the corners from the league and Brady’s move to the corner was inevitable, can look shaky in the corner in my opinion.

carton (24) - O’Tooles : A good HB playing HB

fallon (24) - Vincents : The pillar of our defence, great under a dropping ball but missed the league due to Vinnie’s run in the football.

boland (u21) - NaFianna : member of the 05 leinster winning minor team and last years u21s, has come on loads in the last 18 months. Better at midfield.

lambert (u21) - Boden : Goalkeeper on the Dublin colleges 06 all Ireland winning team, is just breaking into the Boden senior A team, first year for Dublin and has improved with each match.

mc caffrey (u21) : Lucan : Captain of the 05 minor and 07 U21 Leinster winning sides. Quality player who hasn’t had the best of years to date but was finding his form by the end of the league.

flynn (31) : O’Tooles : The veteran of this Dublin side Flynner experience will be vital.

qualter (28?) : Vincents : Another Galwayman inexplicably playing for Dublin. not sure he’s county material.

burke (22?) : Crokes : Not all that familiar with Burke, think he’s had one outing with Dublin to date. not sure he’s county material.

carton (22) : O’Tooles : scored that goal in the Leinster u21 final last year, pacey corner forward.

kelly (23?) : Marks : big stong lad, not sure he’s county material.

o callaghan (24) : Marks : Back from the footballers and thank god for that.

See, that’s the thing Mac - that team shouldn’t put any fear whatsoever into Wexford players’ minds. They’ve a few good prospects who are unproven at senior level, an excellent centre back in Fallon and then their best forwards are Flynn and O’Callaghan and no disrespect to either of these two but our defence should be able to cope with them. I’d like to see Paul Roche on O’Callaghan as he took Travers for a few points in Wexford Park in the league. Overall, as Appendage pointed out, they’ve still 3 outsiders who I’m not sure can cut it. If we don’t beat them I’d put it more down to our own decline that any vast Dublin improvement.

Do we have new jerseys this season for the championship by the way? Also, why is GAA casual supporter gear like t-shirts, hoodies etc so poor?

WEXFORD TEAM NAMED TO PLAY MEATH

1. Anthony Masterson,

2. Colm Morris (capt),

3. Philip Wallace,

4. Brian Malone,

5. Nicky O’Sullivan,

6. David Murphy,

7. Niall Murphy,

8. Rory Stafford,

9. Eric Bradley,

10. PJ Banville,

11. Redmond Barry,

12. Adrian Flynn,

13. Ciarn Lyng,

14. Paddy Colfer,

15. Matty Forde.

No offence to the lad but there’s a glaring inclusion in the defence that I can only put down to club loyalty and I fear it’ll end up fooking us over big style because he hasn’t looked nearly good enough to play senior inter-county championship any time I’ve seen him play. I’ve no qualms about the rest of the selection though as Boccy’s Doyle your typical big, immobile midfielder who’s useful in early season conditions but Rory Stafford’s certainly the better option there. Also, I’ve said on here before Shane Roche doesn’t involve himself enough in general play at times and Paddy Colfer’s had success against them in the past.

yeah, would pretty much agree with all that bandage. The half back line when it was Malone, Murphy and Mutley was unstoppable against Fermanagh, and with David Walsh at corner back, thats how I would have expected it. Howlin I’d imagine would be the first to come in at midfield, and at least we have the option of putting PJ in full forward to create mobility if the physical presence of Colfer isnt working.

Would’ve thougth Banville would start, still though nice sub to have to come in when in need of couple of scores. Be a weekend of supporting Wexford, on monday hurlers play Galway. Don’t think a challenge game has ever meant so much, really hope there’s a good performance there, guessing we’ll know the championship team after it anyway…

My reckoning is

Fitz
Mal
Rossi
Roche
M.Jacob/Willie Doran
DOC
C.Kenny
Farrell
Stamp
Gizzy
Nolan
Pj.Nolan
Quigley
S.Doyle
R.Jacob

I would love to see brendan travers get a game at no.5 on monday, big strong young lad with plenty of ability.

I like the look of that Wexford team and the bench is the strongest we have had in years. There is a bit of hype building about this meath team, lets hope their bubble bursts on sunday.

[quote=“Gavin”]S.Doyle
[/quote]

Stephen Doyle??? You are jokin me! He’s not up to it at all.

Cracking game of fuzzball today in Carlow.

The proverbial game of 2 halves - although there was no wind of note.

I think Wexford deserved to squeeze through, although Meath could easily have been 15 or 16 points up given their dominance and our ineptitude in the first half.

Forde took the game by the scruff if the neck in the last 20 mins, but was poorish till then despite having Fay moved off him after 20 mins.

Barry carried the game to Meath at all times, even when those around him were missing.

Howlin was the key change at half time, giving Wexford some height at mid field where Meath’s farmer lookalikes were towering over Bradley and Stafford.

Mark Ward’s sending off was incredibly stupid from his point of view. A rugby tackle when on a yellow was just unbelievable. Don’t think it was the key turning point though coz Meath were on the back foot at that stage.

Wexford were lucky that Sheridan’s 2nd half goal was disallowed. A bad decision by Deegan as there was no foul committed in my view but I look forward to the action replay later. That would’ve been a bridge too far.

Should be capable of beating Laois but would be concerned about how many goal chances Meath had. They could have had 5 goals today.

And Meath seemed to switch off with about 20 mins left - Coyle didn’t help by taking off Ward’s midfield partner (Can’t remember his name)who got a standing ovation from some of the Meath crowd. Seemed like he was thinking the game was over and had one eye on Laois.

There was one clown in front of me who marched out in disgust at half time that Wexford were so bad. Was quite funny.

A really fantastic day for Wexford football today - the second half performance was nothing short of immense after the complete disaster of the first period. Congratulations to everyone involved in what must be one of the greatest comebacks in Wexford football or hurling history. Turning around ten-point deficits are more common place in hurling with the speed the sliothar zips around the field but to claw back that margin and win against a strong Meath football side is fooking tremendous.

A defeat looked the only outcome at half time and I was wondering why the fook I’d bothered spending €150 getting a taxi from Carlingford to Dublin prior to heading to Carlow after a 20-hour Saturday drinking session and 1 hour sleep between 8am-9am. I was literally standing there with the shakes, dehydrated as fook, having some sick mixture of the cold sweats while also getting sunburned, thinking I was on the verge of collapse and watching us get the shit kicked out of us. I was absolutely sick in more ways than one but then things changed, changed utterly (copyright: W.B. Yeats) and it was magnificent.

Everything that went wrong in the first half was repaired and, after getting thoroughly cleaned out in midfield, the arrival of Tommy Howlin saw us get a grip there. We also moved the ball out of defence far quicker rather than soloing and passing the ball laterally and at a slow tempo and the forwards worked much harder to give the man in possession a passing target and the movement and workrate was excellent. As well as Howlin, the other subs all made big contributions, especially Adrian Morrissey at wing back.

Meath responded to our initial burst of points after half time and we were still ten points behind after 50 minutes (2-12 to 0-8) so the latter part of the game was scintillating. Some of the points from Forde, Lyng, Morrissey and Roche were superb at this stage. I particularly loved the one where Forde feigned to shoot but took a solo (in the process practically sending the diving Meath defender onto the terrace) before knocking the ball over with the outside of his right foot. Pure fooking class.

We took the goals well too and I think Colm Morris was involved in the move to the second one - the man was everyewhere on the field - and we obviously finished the game incredibly strongly and closed it out impressively. I’ve seen instances before where teams play without fear or pressure because they’re so far behind but when they actually realise an amazingly unlikely victory is in grasp they tense up again and don’t get over the finish line.

That’s what I thought was class about us today. Once we sensed we could do it we went relentlessly for the win and simply did not let up. As the pressure intensified we got better and better and that’s a brilliant team characteristic to have. Sure we need to sort out this problem of awful starts but it’s some quality to be such strong finishers to games. When we got level it was us and us only who were going to go on and win it and I was delighted for Matty when he curled over the winner after the shit he’s been through over the past few years.

They were noticeably fooked frrom the 60-minute mark on and the amount of ‘tactical injuries’ and lads lying down for breathers was laughable. In fairness to the ref he copped it and made them play on and we buried them towards the end. The Meath supporters behind the goal who were chanting ‘Matty Forde is a wanker’ were comprehensively shut up at the end and the scenes on the pitch at the end were superb.

Gwan Wexford!

Colm Coyle made a fooking show of himself on The Sunday Game there. Blaming the referee for the result when they were ten points up with twenty minutes to go was laughable. As Anthony Tohill (by far the best RTE analyst) stated, he might be better advised to look closer to home in this instance, especially with his decision to take off Brian Meade after 50 minutes when he’d been having a big game in midfield. Appendage said it earlier too but he was already looking ahead to Laois and was taking an opportunity to rest some players and give game time to others like Moyles and Farrell who are returning from injury.

He also made an accusation about the referee’s impartiality and alleged his preferred result was a Wexford win. This was also a little snipe at Wexford as if to say the ref, as a Laois man, was biased in our favour today as he reckons Meath are a better side than us and would have posed more problems for Laois. Colm, I think you’ll find that was either our 4th or 5th successive victory against Meath you cock. He was also whingeing about their players not being allowed to receive attention. I mentioned earlier that they started going down in ridiculously large numbers as soon as we started eating into their lead so you can fook off on that one too Colm.

Finally, Tohill clearly stated what the ruling is on tackling (it must be a flicking motion with an open hand) so Joe Sheridan’s goal was correctly disallowed given he wrestled the ball out of our 'keeper’s hands. It’s not rugby or American Football or two kids at fat camp fighting over the last hamburger and that has always been a foul despite what Kevin (I’m an incredibly whiny bastard) McStay was prattling on about.

Gwan Wexford!

Great win Bandage in fairness congrats, i has a nice treble clare/derry and wexford so I was rooting fro you big time. Played some great football in the second half and got some great scores. Coyle is a cock of the highest order and always has been , he took a similar stance after the dublin debacle just kind of laughing the whole thing off. I would not have been happy if I was a ref today as earlier on Colm O Rourke said the ref was too small to ref a big mans game, harsh Colm!! That tackle at the end on one of your players was a disgrace, not sure if there is citing in the gaa but if there is your man should get a hefty ban for it…

Ye have some good players, that Howlin looked good from the highlights and the no 13 got some great scores too and of course Forde can turn it on when he wants…I would say you have a right chance against Laois then Leinster Final ya? An unexpected chink of light for the Wexicans!!

Live (but delayed) update from Wexford game. Wexford 3-06 Galway 0-10. Goals from David Redmond, Gizzy Lyng and Rory Jacob. Rossi off with elbow injury and they’ve got some points since then from frees. Last four of half actually. Were nine up.

Went up to the picturesque surrounds of Craanford today to watch Wexford hurlers defeat Galway by 3-13 to 0-18 in a challenge. We were quite good at times but had a few sloppy patches of play too. But overall I think it’s time we got behind these lads ahead of the championship. I’m sick of reading the negativity on here from Gavin especially and he needs to realise we’ve got good hurling men like John Meyler and Willie Sunderland over the squad and he’s wrong to keep criticising them incessantly.

We lined up like this:

Dermot Flynn;
Malachy Travers; Keith Rossiter; Paul Roche;
Michael Jacob; David O’Connor; Darren Stamp;
MJ Furlong (0-1); Colm Farrell;
PJ Nolan (0-3); Eoin Quigley (0-1); Diarmuid Lyng (1-2);
David Redmond (1-2); Stephen Banville; Rory Jacob (1-4, 0-3F).

Subs:
Brendan O’Leary for Rossiter
Tommy Dwyer for Farrell
Michael Doyle for Banville
John Roche for Paul Roche
James O’Loughlin for Redmond
James Tonks for Travers

We got 3 first half goals as Rocko mentioned and it’s not the first time the Galway full back line has been found wanting. I think all of them came from Stephen Banville breaking the ball down for his fellow forwards or getting his arsehole in the way and Rory Jacob and Gizzy finished well off their left hand sides from the inside left position for the 2nd and 3rd goals after soloing through. Redmond took the first well - he turned sharply on the 14-yard line after getting the ball in his hand and drilled it home from the inside right position off his left hand side after a bit of a scramble.

We were 3-6 to 0-6 up and Rossiter was cleaning up at full back. Their full forward hit him a sly belt on the elbow just where we were as Rossiter cleared another ball and he was taken off at this stage - hopefully as a precaution. We conceded some needless frees then in the lead up to half time and it was 3-6 to 0-10 in our favour after playing against the breeze.

We got good points in the second half and PJ Nolan was very prevalent in both taking scores and setting them up for his team-mates. Darren Stamp had an excellent game on Alan Kerins and Doc was very good at centre back on Iarla Tannian. We were under pressure a little bit at midfield but Farrell and Furlong held their own overall and they never got closer than 4 points from us by the end though Flynn (or one of the defenders) saved a penalty and Flynn knocked another 21-yard free attempt at goal out for a 65 late on. His handling was good in goal and he looked secure throughout.

There was one stage in the second half where we reverted to shooting from tight angles and launching big, booming wides from way out the field with the breeze behind us but we regained our composure and finished it out well enough.

Ollie Canning came on for the second half and David Redmond found the going tougher after scoring 1-2 in the first half. Gizzy Lyng took a couple of quality points but had some bad wides too and Eoin Quigley ran himself into the ground as usual. Rory Jacob played decently and looked dangerous and he sprayed the ball around instead of shooting greedily all the time which was encouraging. His brother had quite a good game at wing back too and cleared a good bit of ball despite Niall Healy getting a few points from play.

I was disappointed with Galway as I thought they’d be more up for it as they need all the games they can get with the way the championship structure is. Jack Flash from here told me there was half a round of club championship games on there on Saturday and Sunday and a chunk of their players were involved and that might explain their flat performance. Joe Canning didn’t feature and Damien Hayes got injured for Portumna yesterday and didn’t play either. Kerrill Wade got 0-8, all from frees, Niall Healy got 0-4, 0-3 from play and Richie Murray knocked over a couple of good points from midfield but the rest of their attack was poor. The full back line was awful until Canning’s arrival and Tony g Regan had a good game at wing back but there weren’t too many other positives for them.

All in all, it was a decent performance from Wexford and it was good that they’ve put the hammering down in Cork behind before the Dublin game on Saturday week.

game in Carlow was absloutely unreal, one of the best Wexford games I was ever at. Some craic looking at the dickheads from Meath around me who were absolute prats during the game roaring abuse. Matty got his usual abuse from the crowd too, but didnt react to it for a change.

Some result tho, and some adrenalin rush after it all!

Great weekend for Wexford GAA and I have the sunburn and hangover to show for it.

Hurling first, Galway looked disinterested for a good portion of what I saw (2nd half). Some nice scores and a half forward line of PJ, Quigley and Gizzy has potential. Still though, our first touch was shocking and anytime Galway tried, they got some easy scores. Didnt see much of a gameplan but a win is a win and I fully expect us to beat Dublin now. Was great to see some of the lads hurling with confidence and while I’m always criticising him I think Mick Jacob had a good game at wing back. Looks like thats where he’ll stay for the summer.

There’s not much I can say about the game yesterday that hasn’t already been said. This football team have kept me going at times over the past 5 years when we’ve had nothing GAA wise to cheer about. I see the same faces after the football games and I’m glad for all the lads who have followed this team all around the country in the past number of years. This team will never give up and would make you proud to be wearing the purple and gold. Colm Coyle is possibly the sourest fook I have ever heard.

Anyway, looking forward to the double header in Croker on 22nd June as well as the game in Kilkenny on Saturday week.

Agreed with all that Mac. I wasn’t just delighted for the players, management and everyone inside the camp yesterday. I was so pleased for the supporters who follow the footballers everywhere - it’s a small group of supporters but fook they make themselves heard and never give up on the team. I saw auld lads crying with happiness and emotion at the end and the players got a great ovation on the pitch after the final whistle and as they finally made their way into the dressing room. It was the type of comeback that made you incredibly proud of the team and proud to support them.

I was listening to South East Radio on the way down to Wexford after the game and they were replaying Liam Spratt’s commentary from the crucial stages of the second half and it was superb. Jason Ryan also spoke really well about the next game and how we’ll be focused on that and won’t get carried away by yesterday. Though Laois have a bit of a hex over us in recent times - similar to what we have against Meath - we’ve got that panel depth this season that we lacked in previous campaigns. I can’t wait for it now.