Wexford GAA 2008

I know Doc was doing ads for Nivea and stuff last year and there was pictures of him in the paper for it so maybe he’s afraid he’ll get hit and lose his model looks?

Answering the question Rocko posed to Gavin, I think we’ll defeat Dublin in a close enough game before losing the Leinster Final to Kilkenny by something like 2-25 to 1-9.

Then we’ll get the shit beaten out of us by Galway or someone in the quarter finals by 15+ points too.

I would deem that a successful campaign.

[quote=“Bandage”]I know Doc was doing ads for Nivea and stuff last year and there was pictures of him in the paper for it so maybe he’s afraid he’ll get hit and lose his model looks?

Answering the question Rocko posed to Gavin, I think we’ll defeat Dublin in a close enough game before losing the Leinster Final to Kilkenny by something like 2-25 to 1-9.

Then we’ll get the shit beaten out of us by Galway or someone in the quarter finals by 15+ points too.

I would deem that a successful campaign.[/quote]

Similar to that I still think we’ll beat Dublin (not sure why but I think we will). KK will hammer us in the Leinster final.

I think we’ll go out in the quarter finals. If its Clare or Cork I can see us being hammered out the gate but if its Waterford, Tipp, Galway or Limerick I’d see us sticking in there for a while before they pull away.

I too think ye’ll beat Dublin. For all the praise heaped on them Dublin have serious issues about closing out games. Every year we hear about how successful they are at underage levels and how the young guys have winning habits but it’s yet to be translated into a winning mentality at senior level.

So I fancy Wexford to overhaul a Dublin lead and beat them. Then a hammering from Kilkenny in the final and an inauspicious exit in the repercharge.

[quote=“Mac”]Similar to that I still think we’ll beat Dublin (not sure why but I think we will). KK will hammer us in the Leinster final.

I think we’ll go out in the quarter finals. If its Clare or Cork I can see us being hammered out the gate .[/quote]

finally my constant talking up of clare hurling is starting to rub off on people round here…mark my words clare will play cork in the munster final…

I hope they do cos then there’s less chance of us playing them. Its not that I think either county is great, its that we have a mental block against beating them in the Championship.

therock67…
I think Wexford will beat Dublin, and i think Wexford could be in for a longer summer than most are expecting. I just have this gut feeling. People in here say stuff that they don’t know a whole lot about, they dont go to Cork, Limerick or even The Duffry to watch practice games, that’s why i wouldn’t value many of there opinions if i were an outsider or indeed insider. They play Galway next, prob wont go to that either but they’ll still mouth there heads off about Meyler & Co.

[quote=“Gavin”]therock67…
I think Wexford will beat Dublin, and i think Wexford could be in for a longer summer than most are expecting. I just have this gut feeling. People in here say stuff that they don’t know a whole lot about, they dont go to Cork, Limerick or even The Duffry to watch practice games, that’s why i wouldn’t value many of there opinions if i were an outsider or indeed insider. They play Galway next, prob wont go to that either but they’ll still mouth there heads off about Meyler & Co.[/quote]

Fair enough but you do realise this message board would be a very boring place if the lads weren’t allowed to give their opinions without producing ticket stubs to back it up. Obviously you’re entitled to your opinion and you’re even entitled to think your opinion is more worthy than other people’s but I think you’re wrong on the second point. Time will tell on the first one I suppose.

Anyway keep telling us what’s going on at these challenge games - it’s good to know how teams are getting on in the low profile games.

I think what Gavin is saying is that Bandage is fuckwit.

I’d have to agree with him.

[quote=“Gavin”]therock67…
I think Wexford will beat Dublin, and i think Wexford could be in for a longer summer than most are expecting. I just have this gut feeling. People in here say stuff that they don’t know a whole lot about, they dont go to Cork, Limerick or even The Duffry to watch practice games, that’s why i wouldn’t value many of there opinions if i were an outsider or indeed insider. They play Galway next, prob wont go to that either but they’ll still mouth there heads off about Meyler & Co.[/quote]

Will ya goway Gavin with yer gut feeling. Gut feeling went out of Wexford hurling circa 2003.

Someone may aswell wish and hope.

Equally, watching them getting hidings and coming back with glowing reports is ridiculous in the extreme.

We beat Laois recently though so all’s well.

Move along, nothing to see here - only dare speak about Wexford hurling if you have something irrationally positive to say.

In essence, we’re an average side with a shit management team and my right to express that opinion will never, ever be denied!

Bandage do you even know anything about the current management team, bar john meyler?

No offence to the lad Byrne from Askamore but nobody from a club like that should have dealings with a senior inter-county team. The other lad Sunderland was guaranteed county titles most years with Oulart and even though he had 6, 7 or even 8 county men on that team he wasn’t able to create any impression in the Leinster club with a team packed full of Wexford players. Then Meyler lets his son play for Cork instead of Wexford - his priorities can’t be with us.

I find it hilarious that you have something against meyler becuse his son plays for Cork soccer, that’s just clutching at straws now to have a reason. Ah i dunno, too many experts round these days.

Gavin you dont have to be an expert to know Wexford are fairly brutal this year. Its a very poor team and all the rose tinted glasses in the world wont change that. personally i wouldnt blame Myler, its not his fault there aren’t enough quality hurlers in the county.

Gavin, I cant fault your enthusiasm but your logic escapes me. I’ve been hoping for a wexford win due to a gut feeling for a good 5 or 6 years now but I can never find a lad close to croker to take a bet off me. I was even out in the city tonight and the taxi driver laughed at me when I said I was from Wexford. Yes he was black and Yes he was a tool but Yes he was right by his logic.

Match report from The Echo:

Rebel hell for hurlers heightens concerns

CORK 5-27 WEXFORD 1-15

CONCERNS HAVE heightened for the fate of the Wexford senior hurlers in the forthcoming championship after they succumbed to a 24 -point drubbing at the hands of Cork in last Sun day afternoons challenge in Carrigtwohill. The result is all the more worrying when noting how Wexford had pushed the Rebels so clo se only seven weeks ago, when the purple-andgold were actually extremely unfortunate to los e out by two points to them at Pairc Ui Chaoim h in the closing round of National League grou p action.

Add in the fact that Cork fielded only nine re gulars on Sunday, whereas Wexford were at ful l-strength with the notable exceptions of injure d duo Keith Rossiter and Barry Lambert, toget her with Richie Kehoe (who has departed the s quad) and it is clear that the Slaneysiders have quite some ground to make up if they are to figure among the movers and shakers in the Cham pionship 2008.

In fact, manager John Meyler is more concerned about more pressing matters, stressing to SportEcho that we only have four week s now to get everything sorted out before the D ublin match, although the Sky Blues must first take care of newly-crowned Division 2 League champions Westmeath next Sunday in order to secure a rematch of last years semi-final with Wexford.

There were things we did well today. But, Meyler laments, we are not doing them consistently enough, only producing strong play in fits and starts, whereas Cork continually perform to an extremely high standard the contrast between what we did and didnt do so well is just too extreme.

At times we were at sixes and sevens, and w e simply must learn from this game, as well as t he Limerick match (on the May Bank Holiday Monday, which last years beaten All-Ireland finalists won by 1-25 to 3-15).

In addition, Wexford had suffered a crushing 2-19 to 0-16 loss to Offaly in another challenge on April 20th at Bunclody, while they ha d demonstrated some good form on Saturday week last, albeit against mediocre opposition, when scoring a facile 5-20 to 0-18 win ov er Laois at the grounds of the Duffry Rovers cl ub.

Training had been going well since the Lim erick match, and we were looking forward to th e lads producing a good display against Cork, the boss explains. But we just have to learn fr om this game, and hopefully the missing bits a nd pieces will slot into place over the coming weeks.

They will certainly need to be in place by the time Ger Loughnanes Galway come a knocking on the June Bank Holiday Monday, June 2n d for a challenge game at 3p.m., in the well app ointed grounds of Craanford.

Wexford were playing second-fiddle to Cork from the very start, and the Munster men (who play Tipperary in the Munster semi-final on Ju ne 8th) had eased clear by 2-4 to 0-2 before the purple-and-gold were boosted somewhat, whe n Eoin Quigley gathered possession around mi dfield, charged through, and noticing he was w ithout any support, the ever hardworking St. M artins man finished a five-star solo goal.

Regardless, Gerald McCarthys Cork were w ell out of sight by half-time, having generated a fourteen-point advantage (3-14 to 1-6) at t he turn, by which stage they were also enjoying a numerical advantage, after Diarmuid Giz zy Lyng was dismissed on 20 minutes for a se cond yellow-card offence.

The likes of Eoin Quigley together with MJ Furlong, Michael Jacob and substitute Willie D oran all tried especially hard throughout for We xford. However, while Rory Jacob chipped in with four neat second-half points, the Slaneysi ders never raised a gallop during the closing pe riod, as Cork continued to expose a hugely wor rying gap in standards.

Wexford Damien Fitzhenry, Malachy Travers, John OConnor, Paul Roche, Michael Jacob, D avid OConnor, Ciaran Kenny, Colm Farrell (0-2), Darren Stamp (0-1), MJ Furlong (0-1), Ste phen Nolan (0-2), Diarmuid Lyng, Rory Jacob (0-4), Stephen Banville (0-1), Eoin Quigley (1-2).

Subs: John Roche for Malachy Travers; PJ Nola n (0-1) for Stephen Nolan; Willie Doran (0-1) for Col m Farrell; Tommy Dwyer for Darren Stamp; Michael Doyle for MJ Furlong; Brendan OLeary for Paul R oche; Brendan Travers for John OConnor.

Leinster Hurling has really gone to shite. Watching Offaly hammer Laois here at the moment. We play Dublin now after they beat Westmeath today. Footballers play Meath next Sunday in Carlow. Powers have priced them at 12/5 with Meath 2/5 favourites. I’d fancy our lads at that price especially seeing as Fermanagh beat Monaghan today too.

It’s shaping up to be similar to the 2006 match with Meath (hopefully) where they had a fairly easy game in the first round - think it was against Louth - and then were made strong favourites to beat us solely because they are Meath. I had €50 on us at 4/1 to win that day and 'twas a decent earner. We have an excellent record against them in recent years and it seems to be one of those cases where our team just happens to match up well against them all over the park. We’ve beaten them in that championship game and twice in the league in the last few years too so we shouldn’t have anything to fear. As you say Mac, the Fermanagh/Monaghan game possibly shows there isn’t all that much between the top of Divisions 2 and 3 and given our record against them also they don’t justify being such strong favourites.

was going to say I was surprised Meath are such strong favorites, but then again, bookies usually do go against Wexford footballers without looking at the stats (eg Wexford to lose the league final to unbeaten Fermanagh, never mind that we were also unbeaten) Our recent record against Meath is excellent, beating them comfortably in the last 3 games in league and championship. They turned around their season last year and had a good run through the qualifiers, but there is no reason to fear them. Friend of mine from Meath hates playing us, as he says Meath still have this complex where they see themselves and Dublin as being the only 2 teams in Leinster and the likes of Wexford are shite, whereas results and form lately doesnt paint the same picture.