Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]So this is what Wexford hurling has come to?

Confident of beating Antrim because they have a few injury problems.

Good to see that you know your limits.[/quote]

No Farmer, I’m happy to clarify my original post though it was fairly clear to be honest and you’ve jumped to conclusions. I was setting the scene ahead of the game and from their perspective the news is that they have injury problems and lost to Dublin. I think we’ll beat them as I would any time we play them.

I won’t be concentrating on the hurling side of things just now. :slight_smile:

A cracking result for 14-man Wexford away to Sligo today pipping the home side by 0-14 to 0-13 despite George Sunderland’s first half sending off.

Forde is right back on form and the overall workrate and teamwork was highly impressive too.

The League isn’t of paramount importance but when you’ve got a new management team then it’s encouraging to see early signs of progess.

Well done to the lads - Down at home in 2 weeks is our next fixture.

Wexford-Limerick:

1996 All Ireland Hurling Final

On TG4 now.

Glorious. Absolutely fooking glorious.

Our football management team seem to be working from a huge pool of players. That’s essentially a Wexford B side that played over the weekend. Good to see so many players being given a chance early in the season.

From The Irish Examiner:

Cork 2-6 Wexford 0-8

CORK returned to the playing field after months of controversy yesterday with a senior football challenge against Wexford at Lembrien yesterday.

Already four points down in the league, new Cork manager Conor Counihan was anxious to see his men in action. Though both sides were in somewhat experimental mood, it was Cork who had the better of the opening-half exchanges.

With half-backs Noel O’Leary, Ger Spillane and Anthony Lynch prominent and Graham Canty outstanding at full-back, they restricted the Model County to one first-half point, from Ciaran Lyng.

It was evident from the opening exchanges that the Cork attack was somewhat rusty, although a fine John Miskella goal midway through the half set them on the way. Cork added points through Donncha O’Connor (two) and Kevin O’Sullivan to lead 1-3 to 0-1 at the interval.

Both managers used their entire squads, making it difficult for either side to play a flowing game, though the quality improved after the break.

Cork looked quite assured through the second-half, and Kevin O’Sullivan’s 50th-minute goal from close range set them up for victory.

Wexford introduced Mattie Forde late on, and he responded with two points, but it was Cork who capped their return with a four-point victory.

Both managers stressed it was a case of utilising all the players they had available as they step up preparations for their games next weekend.

CORK: A Quirke; D Duggan, G Canty, K O’Connor; N O’Leary, G Spillane, A Lynch; N Murphy, A O’Connor; J Miskella (1-0), K McMahon, P Kelly (0-1); J Hayes, D O’Connor (0-3, 0-1 free), K O’Sullivan (1-2).
Subs: K O’Halloran for Quirke; M Prout for K O’Connor; E Sexton for O’Leary; S O’Donoghoe for Lynch; R O’Sullivan for Spillane; C McCarthy for McMahon; D Hurley for Murphy; A O’Sullivan for Miskella.

WEXFORD: A Cullen; T Wall, M Hanrahan,D Walsh; G. Sunderland, D Murphy, N O’Sullivan; P Colfer (0-2), B. Doyle; G Brilly, P Curtis, J Mernagh (0-1); C Lyng (0-2), C Byrne, P Byrne.
Subs: M Forde (0-2, 0-1 free) for Byrne; C Morris (0-1) for Wall; A Morrissey for Curtis; A Flynn for Brilly; E Bradley for Colfer; A Masterson for Cullen; A Doyle for O’Sullivan; P Wallace for Hanrahan.

Ar dheis D go raibh a anam - RIP to a Wexford legend. Bandage Senior says he was an outstanding hurler. From today’s Independent:

GAA mourns Jim English death

Tuesday February 26 2008

Wexford and Carlow GAA are in deep mourning after the sudden death of Jim English (76).

A member of the Rathnure club, with whom the three Rackard brothers also played, right half-back English was a prominent member of the great Wexford hurling team of the 1950s and early 1960s.

He won three of the five All-Ireland finals in which he played; the back-to-back wins of 1955 and 1956 and the shock victory over Tipperary in 1960.

English was captain in '56 when Wexford denied legendary Corkman Christy Ring a ninth Celtic Cross and he also won National League medals in '56 and '58, the latter particularly memorable as Wexford fought back after trailing by 15 points at half-time to beat Tipperary on the “day of the big wind”.

GAA president Nickey Brennan led the sympathisers yesterday, saying he was particularly saddened, having been talking to English at a function last Friday night and describing him as “an icon of the game in Wexford and a great friend and inspiration to Carlow”.

English, who served as Carlow chairman for over a decade, won a county medal with Bagenalstown in 1970, and three of his sons, Thomas, James Jr and Patrick, all played for Carlow.

He is also survived by son Colm, daughters Mary and Noeleen and wife Maggie. His remains will be removed today at 5.30pm to St Andrew’s, Bagenalstown.

I think most of the new influx of Wexicans are Dublin-based but does anybody have any team news for Down at home on Sunday. They won the McKenna Cup and their first two league games against Sligo and Louth and so are in good form and it’ll be our stiffest test yet. We seem to be trying out an awful lot of players under the new manager which is encouraging and most of the players have made themselves available. Does anyone know what Rory Stafford’s story is? He was annoyed at Bealin’s departure and doesn’t seem to have come back training yet. I know David Fogarty has definitely opted out.

Due to suspensions the team is likely to be (courtesy of www.wexfordsupporters.com):
Masterson
Morris Wallace Walsh
O’Sulivan Malone Curtis
Bradley Doyle
Brosnan Red Byrne
Roche Flynn Forde

Tough game against Down though. Was impressed by the young Ben Brosnan against Longford when I saw him. Played well against Sligo too apparently. Also the fact that we have the excellent Ciaran Lyng to come back in to the fray (our best player last year), things are looking good for the year ahead.

Also, don’t forget our own Darragh “Foxy” Breen, lining out for Nemo Rangers in the All Ireland Club final in 2 weeks time.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Due to suspensions the team is likely to be (courtesy of www.wexfordsupporters.com):
Masterson
Morris Wallace Walsh
O’Sulivan Malone Curtis
Bradley Doyle
Brosnan Red Byrne
Roche Flynn Forde

Tough game against Down though. Was impressed by the young Ben Brosnan against Longford when I saw him. Played well against Sligo too apparently. Also the fact that we have the excellent Ciaran Lyng to come back in to the fray (our best player last year), things are looking good for the year ahead.

Also, don’t forget our own Darragh “Foxy” Breen, lining out for Nemo Rangers in the All Ireland Club final in 2 weeks time.[/quote]

Any of you bhoys involved in the Wexford site or just regular posters over there? I tried to join twice ages ago and never received my activation email or whatever and gave up on it then. I’ll give it another go if I’m let join but I can’t access it in work!

The team doesn’t appear all that strong from 1-9 but it’s a very decent set of forwards. I presume Adrian Flynn will roam and leave 2 inside forwards. I would worry about our ability to win enough midfield ball too. Is Toms Howlin more or less fooked because of his knee?

As an aside, Foxy is a clown - a big clown and always will be.

Know the lad involved as moderator alright. Should be easy enough to join it.
Foxy was some yoke alright. Got us to a League Final though!

I post over there regularily bandage, dont know who actually runs the site (think it might be weisford) but scalder is a mod so he might be able to sort something out for you. Dont think there has been a problem for people signing up lately tho.

Masterson will be the keeper for the foreseeable future, and he is fairly good in fairness to him. Commands the backline well too. Half back line looks a bit raw to me alright, and 2 clongeen lads in it too! Still cant believe Boccy Doyle is getting his game midfield. he’d miss an open goal from the small square if given a free shot. Big man, can catch and break a ball, but dont let him have it in open space or try use his skills. Tommy Howlin is fecked alright. He is still playing with Horeswood, but his knee is shot, and his hamstrings are bet too as a result of surgery, so the intercounty scene would be too much.

[quote=“Bandage”]Ar dheis D go raibh a anam - RIP to a Wexford legend. Bandage Senior says he was an outstanding hurler. From today’s Independent:

GAA mourns Jim English death

Tuesday February 26 2008

Wexford and Carlow GAA are in deep mourning after the sudden death of Jim English (76).

A member of the Rathnure club, with whom the three Rackard brothers also played, right half-back English was a prominent member of the great Wexford hurling team of the 1950s and early 1960s.

He won three of the five All-Ireland finals in which he played; the back-to-back wins of 1955 and 1956 and the shock victory over Tipperary in 1960.

English was captain in '56 when Wexford denied legendary Corkman Christy Ring a ninth Celtic Cross and he also won National League medals in '56 and '58, the latter particularly memorable as Wexford fought back after trailing by 15 points at half-time to beat Tipperary on the “day of the big wind”.

GAA president Nickey Brennan led the sympathisers yesterday, saying he was particularly saddened, having been talking to English at a function last Friday night and describing him as “an icon of the game in Wexford and a great friend and inspiration to Carlow”.

English, who served as Carlow chairman for over a decade, won a county medal with Bagenalstown in 1970, and three of his sons, Thomas, James Jr and Patrick, all played for Carlow.

He is also survived by son Colm, daughters Mary and Noeleen and wife Maggie. His remains will be removed today at 5.30pm to St Andrew’s, Bagenalstown.[/quote]

Only heard this now, actually saw him a few weeks back at a funeral in Carlow. My dad went up to him and had a chat with him as he idolised the Wexford teams of 55 and 56, very nice man.

and in further developments on wexfords midfield, Tommy Howlin is rumoured to be back in the fold! didnt think he’d go back, dont know how he’ll do, but hope he can steer clear of injuries.

Another very good win for the new football set-up. We came from 4 points behind to defeat Down by 5 in fortress Wexford Park.

The camogie beasts also beat Cork away in their first league game. Good to show them early on in the season who’s boss.

A very healthy looking league table for a Wexford perspective. Limerick away next will be quite a test even if they’re not the force that took Kerry to a Munster Final replay a few years back. After that it’s a guaranteed 2 points at home to Leitrim so things are looking distinctly up.

Allianz National Football League Division 3
Team P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Wexford 3 3 0 0 5-30 1-31 11 6
2 Down 3 2 0 1 2-35 6-23 0 4
3 Louth 3 1 0 2 4-36 4-32 4 2
4 Limerick 2 1 0 1 2-20 0-23 3 2
5 Fermanagh 1 1 0 0 2-10 1-10 3 2
6 Longford 3 1 0 2 4-29 5-24 2 2
7 Sligo 3 1 0 2 2-32 2-36 -4 2
8 Leitrim 2 0 0 2 2-14 4-27 -19 0

Great to see the management having the balls to take decisive first half action when 0-06 to 0-01 behind - two substitutions after 26 minutes and another one at half time. I hope they continue to prove my initial scepticism wrong. From the Indo:

Forde works magic for Wexford
Wexford 2-8 Down 0-9

Monday March 03 2008

THIS could be the start of something special for Wexford as they clicked in the second half on their way to an impressive five-point victory over Down in this top-of-the-table game at Wexford Park yesterday.

When the two group leaders went at it toe-to-toe in the opening35 minutes it was

With the home side struggling for possession it was Down who led 0-2 to 0-0 after 10 minutes through points from Declan Rooney and John Clarke. The Model County side had to wait until the 13th minute for their opener – an Eric Bradley30-metre point from play.

Early on, Down hit a real purple patch. Centre-back Liam Doyle stormed forward to join in an attack at the end of which he pointed, and there were further points to follow from John Fegan, Jack Lynch, Doyle (free) to lead 0-6 to 0-1 after twenty-seven minutes.

Wexford finished the half with points from Matty Forde, Shane Roche and Colm Morris, while Cathal Magee managed one in between for the visitors who led 0-7 to 0-4 at the interval.

Wexford sprang to life in the second half and in a gripping four-minute spell grabbed two goals which changed the whole course of the game.

After 37 minutes, Forde sent over a great centre that was flicked to the net by Adrian Flynn, while four minutes later Wexford ace Matty Forde took the ball forward, dummied 'keeper Brendan McVeigh before slotting the ball into an empty net, leaving them with a 2-4 to 0-8 lead.

With this boost, Wexford went on to make it 2-8 to 0-9 .

SCORERS – Wexford: M Forde 1-2 (1f), A Flynn 1-1, S Roche 0-3, C Morris, E Bradley 0-1 each. Down: L Doyle (1f), J Clarke 0-2 each; D Rooney, J Lynch, J Fegan, D Hughes, C Magee 0-1 each.

Wexford – A Masterson; C Morris, P Wallace, D Walsh; N O’Sullivan, B Malone, P Curtis; E Bradley, B Doyle; B Brosnan, R Barry, A Flynn; C Byrne, S Roche, M Forde. Subs: P Colfer for Curtis 26; C Lyng for Brosnan 26; D Murphy for Byrne 35; A Morrissey for Bradley 67; J Hudson for O’Sullivan 69.

Down – B McVeigh; C McGovern, G McArdle, M Cole; R Murtagh, L Doyle, D Rooney; A Rogers, J Lynch; J Fegan, K McKernan, D Hughes; J Clarke, C Magee, R Sexton. Subs: L Howard for Lynch 45; B Coulter for Clarke 50; P McCumiskey for Fegan 50; C Murney for Magee 69; P Downey for McArdle 69.

REF – P Russell (Tipperary).

It was a good result yesterday and a great second half performance. Defenders really upped their game and played very well. Midfield won most of the posession and with Flynn and Red doing lots of work, the forwards were getting decent supply.

As an aside Bandage if you hadnt heard, Seamus Keevans was taken away during the game with what looked like a heart attack.

[quote=“Gman”]It was a good result yesterday and a great second half performance. Defenders really upped their game and played very well. Midfield won most of the posession and with Flynn and Red doing lots of work, the forwards were getting decent supply.

As an aside Bandage if you hadnt heard, Seamus Keevans was taken away during the game with what looked like a heart attack.[/quote]

I heard about that Gman but I also heard he’s stable and going to be fine. If so, it’s a great weekend for Wexford sport what with the footballers making it 3 out of 3, the camogie side battling to a tough win in Cork and the soccer team debuting their new pink away jersey in the 1-1 draw with Shamrock Rovers.

Just throwing this up as posted on wxsupporters.com

Masterson - I played against this fella in the Jim Byrne Cup back in 2000 in a match up in Boolabawn. His kick outs against the wind (and up the hill) from the small square were clearing half way. He did the same yesterday. He has the confidence of the defence in front of him as was shown when he went up and caught 2 balls cleanly in the second half. His kicking will be vital to our success this year.

Morris - Usual display from the captain. Was always on hand in the second half going forward after a shaky first half.

Wallace - Decided to stop trying to catch the ball in the second half and just keep punching and disrupting it which worked to our advantage. Still think he’s a couple of matches short of full fitness though. I criticised him after the Longford game but this was like the Wallace of old and theres still no better crowd lifting sight than seeing him bursting through the middle with the ball. Is a lot more comfortable with Murphy in front of him than Malone.

Walsh - a nice ankle tap in the second half! Muttley has his work cut out to get back in the team with this fella. Doesnt do anything spectacular but have been quietly impressed with him so far. The most solid of the debutants from this year and seems to be growing in confidence with every match.

O’Sullivan - Sold enough display from the Clongeen man. Nothing over spectacular but cant remember him doing anything that would warrant anyone else being brought in ahead of him.

Malone - I think he’ll do well to hold the no.6 shirt. Has a tendency to try and move forward and I think he’s more suited on the wing or in the corner. All Downs attacks in the first half came down the middle. As soon as Murphy came on this stopped. He should still start, just not at CB.

Curtis - Sacrificed after 25 mins. Didnt see a whole lot of him in that time.

Doyle - Keeps getting better with every game. Just keeps things simple. The other midfielders and half forwards need to learn how to take the breaking ball from him. Some of his catches were spectacular. Will never make surging runs from midfield but does the simple things well. Couple of sloppy passes though that I’d be wary of.

Bradley - Some engine he has. 3 times in the second half he galloped back over 40 or 50 yards to block or harass his marker and 3 times he denied them a clear shooting chance. Hope he keeps fit for the championship as he’s starting to show the form from a few years ago now when everyone was talking about him.

Byrne - Solid and unspectacular like some of his Clongeen club mates. Couple of loose passes at times. I’d say he’ll do well to hold onto a starting slot if everyone else is fit.

Red - Covered every blade of grass as always and played a peach of a through ball for Matties goal (I think). Always plays intelligent balls and glad to see he’s not having to drop too deep. I’d keep him in the HF line.

Flynn - Summed it up for me when with 5 minutes left this fella was back in his own full back line and came away with the ball. Another fella with a huge engine but would like to see him get some more scores. Great leap for the goal he got too.

Roche - Was delighted with his performance and his point in the second half summed it up. Hard working and no nonsense with some great scores. Can see him making the same impact this year that Lyng had last year. Where is his best position though?

Brosnan - Didnt really get going and was sacrificed after 25 mins. Was delighted to see Ryan talking to him for a few mins just as he was taken off and I doubt this will be the last we’ll see of him. Like was said earlier, he’s not a target man but a fairly lively player!

Forde - Mattie, Mattie, Mattie. A pointed free reminiscant of the famous sideline against Offaly. One of the best finishes for a goal I have seen on a football pitch when it looked like he had run up a blind alley! A peach of a score from an impossible angle in the first half. A great peformance to mark his 100th game for Wexford. BUT (Gorey district lads, calm down for a second) - he had absolutely no need to get involved with the Down corner back after he pointed a free in the second half. It was right in front of me. The Down player was jeering Mattie as he tried to take the free. When Mattie put it over he ran 10 yards towards to basically tell him what he thought of him and only for Colm Morris he could have got himself into more trouble. He needs to cut this out of his game. He’s the most talented footballer we’re ever likely to produce and I just think that this stupid stuff could cause him problems on the bigger stage with more eyes watching.

Subs:

Lyng - He’s wintered well anyway Laughing Needs a couple of games to get his match sharpness up. Was a very useful outlet when needed to run the clock down in the second half. Left his shooting boots at home though! A couple of more games and he should be back firing.

Colfer - One of the changes that made the game. Won a huge amount of ball in the full forward line and calmed everything down to bring us back into the game. I’m still not his biggest fan but cant argue with the fact that he’s vitally important to the way that Ryan wants the team to play.

Murphy - I thought his introduction was more pivotal than Colfers. Down ran everything through the middle in the first half. As soon as Murphy came on he just sat there and dictated everything. Down had to then play over his head or down the wings. Shored up everything and I doubt he ever crossed the half way line. Is the fulcrum for a huge amount of Wexford attacks and I think he has to start at 6 for the remainder of the season.

Morrissey and Hudson only had a few mins and didnt really do anything apart from Hudson missing a point on the turn from 6 yards out!

Ryan - Credit where credits due. Wasnt afraid to make the changes when they were needed. You can see from his actions on the sideline he’s a huge man manager and I think he’s growing into the role and has the trust of the players. Spoke to his selectors almost every 5 minutes. As the indo says - this could be the start of something special.

Cheers for that Mac - smashing report. That should prove to be a real confidence booster for everyone involved - the players for turning it around but also the management for making the game affecting changes. It’s very good to see the depth to the panel and the options we have too. Equally though I suppose it’s important not to get carried away with ourselves.

Kilkenny at home on Sunday. I must say I fear that the new electronic scoreboard in Wexford Park will get a thorough working over but not in a good way if you know what I mean.