Wexford GAA 2008

Unfortunately, Semus Keevans passed away this morning. Sad news as I was told he was improving after his collapse at the game on Sunday. He played for Wexford and a few other counties and was to be seen at every Wexford football game home and away.

yeah I had heard form Jim Ferguson that he was due out of hospital today or tomorrow as he was getting better. Must have took another bad turn. A big loss, he was a gas man in fairness. And would always remember you. He used to ref our u.10 matches with Gusserane, when he was still Seargent in Ballycullane. He’d scare the shite out of the young lads with his ways! But he was a decent man, and always called a spade a spade. I’d have known him very well, wasnt sitting too near him on Sunday, but said hello to him at the longofr game. He’s some man for the one liners to referees! If you didnt see him at a match, you’d definately hear him, and I suppose it was appropriate that his last days on this world were at a Wexford football game in the Park.

RIP Seamus.

[quote=“Gman”]Must have took another bad turn.

[/quote]

Dya reckon ??

Team for Sunday:
Damien Fitzhenry;
Malachy Travers; Keith Rossiter; Paul Roche;
Richie Kehoe; Willie Doran; Gizzy Lyng;
Michael Jacob; John O’Connor;
Michael Doyle; Eoin Quigley; Stephen Nolan;
Barry Lambert; David Redmond; Rory Jacob.

Fitzhenry returns between the posts after his knee injury. 2 changes in the forwards also with Doyle and Lambert coming in for Breen and O’Connor.

that full forward line has potential. what ya reckon fellow wexicans? unfortunately, like bandage, i have my fears about sunday but not that often that we get to hurl our near neighbours in wexford park so hopefully there’ll a good showing.

also RIP Seamus.

potential in that line alright, and wonder is that the lsat of the DOC experiment there. In fairness, he aint a forward, he’ll break down ball and stop the full back from clearing up, but he has a turn on him that needs reversing lights and a beeper like a truck. Midfield isnt great either I dont think.

Theres another change with David Redmond in for MJ Furlong as well. I’d prefer to see Redmond further out the field and prefer to see Mick Jacob sitting in the stands. A small nippy full forward line. Is this a return to low quick balls into the full forward line? If it is, then what was the point of trying out a tall full forward for the last 13 months?

I predict one of 2 things:

1. A KK romp
  2. Wexford get within 2 or 3 points or somehow manage a victory or get a moral victory which gives us all the false hope that things are on the up. Little do we realise that this is Kilkennys fourth match of the season and in truth we should read nothing into the result.

I’m consistently dumbfounded by our inability to put back-to-back performances together and it remains a problem given our first two league games. I don’t question the effort the (majority of) players are putting in but I’m not all that confident they’re capable of bridging the gap to Kilkenny. That said I’m of the opinion that as long as their attitude is right and they’re playing for the jersey then they deserve our support (not that I travelled up to North Antrim or anything myself!)

How’s Willie Doran been doing at centre back?

Hurled pretty well down in Waterford but didn’t impress up in Antrim. Deserves a full league campaign to try nail down the position with Skippy Ruth still undecided over his return.

Very sad news about Seamus Keevans. He was a bit eccentric but he would have done anything for Wexford football. Chances are if you ever lined out for your clubs football team at any age group, he knew of you. I remember playing an under 16 match against Laois a number of years ago. On the way to the game Seamus astounded us by naming the likely Laois team and their strengths and weaknesses.

Also remember seeing some videos of minor and junior matches that he was commentating on and they were hilarious, he made no attempt to dilute his passion just because he had a microphone.

RIP

An absolute annihilation against Kilkenny today. It’s pretty disheartening that we’re so far behind them given that we’re putting the effort into training and genuinely working hard. It was 0-17 to 0-5 at half time and, following on the pattern of recent games against them, the game was already over at that stage. We’re simply not good enough to compete with Kilkenny and Cork and aren’t showing any signs of bridging the gap.

Wexford can’t compete at this level. How many more annihilations at the hands of Kilkenny can they take?

It’s actually a real concern for the game in general. We beat the likes of Galway and Tipperary in knock-out games last year and reached the last 4 of each competition but then to see Kilkenny and Cork (and Waterford to an extent) so far ahead of everyone else and dish out regular hammerings to the other teams shows there’s a wide gap opening up between these sides and the rest. I don’t know if our dual status is reason for our failure to dominate in one or other of the codes but we might have to take a leaf out of the likes of Leitrim’s book and take a decision to concentrate on one game at the expense of the other in order to become a truly dominant force like the Westerners.

Were you down for it Bandage? One of the worst Wexford games I’ve ever seen. Not a single positive to take from it.

Was meant to head down home for it this morning but was rendered incapable after an impromptu night on the piss up in Dublin. Initially I was annoyed with myself as I didn’t want to miss a Kilkenny game but what can you say about that? I was talking to Bandage Senior earlier and he thought it was a new low. I don’t know if tactics, motivation or whatever come into it too but it simply seems they’re on a different level to us ability wise. Maybe our players know this before going out to play them?

On a more positive note, superb win for the U-21 footballers yesterday.

[quote=“Bandage”]Was meant to head down home for it this morning but was rendered incapable after an impromptu night on the piss up in Dublin. Initially I was annoyed with myself as I didn’t want to miss a Kilkenny game but what can you say about that? I was talking to Bandage Senior earlier and he thought it was a new low. I don’t know if tactics, motivation or whatever come into it too but it simply seems they’re on a different level to us ability wise. Maybe our players know this before going out to play them?

On a more positive note, superb win for the U-21 footballers yesterday.[/quote]

U21’s won today as far as I know. Was announced in the park during the game. Definitely a new low. KK people were leaving at full time and were almost apologising to us for it!

That’s a smashing win for the footballers given the lack of any victories at this level for the last few years. Shane Roche seems to have had an excellent start to the season and hopefully he can have a similar impact to what Ciarn Lyng had last season. Meanwhile I hope Ciarn Lyng gets some cop on and doesn’t waste his season after the promise he showed last year.

From the Indo:

Roche to Wexford’s rescue

Wexford 1-10
Westmeath 1-9

A last-GASP point from the splendid Shane Roche clinched victory for Wexford over hosts Westmeath in yesterdayat Cusack Park, Mullingar.

Aidan O’Brien’s men went for the jugular early on, when Roche fisted home a high ball on 13, leaving Westmeath chasing the game for the remainder of a first half not helped by some inconsistent refereeing.

But the Lakesiders kept in touch, and aided by a handful of frees from John Connellan, as well as points from Andrew Whitney and Niall Kilcoyne, they trailed only 1-4 to 0-6 at the break.

In the second half Brendan Kelly smashed to the net from close range on 43 and it looked like a Westmeath win was on the cards.

But the home side fell asleep, and a series of points from Wexford’s Sean Carmody, Peter Hughes (2) and Thomas Hayden levelled matters, before Roche’s late effort left Westmeath scrambling for an equaliser.

In stoppage time, it almost came from the boot of James Durkan, but his kick cannoned off the upright and Wexford held on for the win.

SCORERS – Wexford: S Roche 1-3; P Hughes 0-2; B Traynor, B Hearne (f), B Brosnan, S Carmody and T Hayden 0-1 each. Westmeath: B Kelly 1-1; J Connellan 0-5 (4f); N Kilcoyne 0-2; A Whitney 0-1.

WEXFORD – P Kavanagh; T Hayden, M O’Loughlin, A Murphy; P Whitely, C Murphy, J Kehoe; D Waters, D Farrell; S O’Neill, P Hughes, B Brosnan; S Roche, B Traynor, B Hearne. Subs: S Carmody for Hearne (36), M Molloy for O’Loughlin (40), P Murphy for Kehoe (46), E Doyle for O’Neill (54).

WESTMEATH – P Shaw; W Murtagh, K Gavin, S Moorehead; A Whitney, F O’Reilly, T Warburton; A Browne, N Kilcoyne; C Reilly, J Durkan, K Scally; K Lynam, B Kelly, J Connellan. Subs: C Curley for Lynam (51), J Dolan for Scally (54).

REF – G McKenny (Louth).

I was going to throw up a report from the Indo or the Times about the Wexford Kilkenny match but instead I’ll throw up my own report of the game.

Wexford 1-05 Kilkenny 23

At a cold day in Wexford park, Wexford were shite.

by Pikeman

I was reading there that Meyler kept the team locked in the dressing room for ages after the game and the waiting national media men got fed up waiting and left without getting any quotes from him. Can you imagine what was said in the dressing room?

Meyler: ‘Well lads? What the fook was that all about?’
Silence
Meyler: ‘Anybody care to explain what the fook ye were doing for 70 minutes out there?’
Silence
Meyler: ‘That was fooking disgraceful lads.’
Silence
Meyler: ‘And ye’re all as gutless in here as ye were outside on the pitch. Anyone willing to explain that shit?’
Silence
Meyler: ‘We’re all fooking wasting our time if that’s all ye can offer in 70 minutes of hurling. I can’t fooking believe it. What the fook were ye at?’
Silence
Meyler: ‘Fook it. Who gives a shit? Anyone see Home and Away lately? Did they find out who the hospital stalker was yet?’
O’Connor, D: ‘Was it that guy Lewis that was banging Rachel?’
Lyng: ‘Haven’t seen it in a few weeks but I don’t think it was him anyway.’
Jacob, R: ‘I was thinking it was that Jonah lad that’s doing a job on Martha lately.’
Fitzhenry, D: 'Not a chance - he doesn’t attack women any more since he forced it in ‘Tasha that time.’
Nolan, S: ‘I wouldn’t be too sure. There’s something evil about the fook.’
Jacob, M: ‘I’ll tell you who’ll know lads - Skippy and Rory Mc. They’re not back training yet and have probably seen all the episodes.’
Phones Skippy
Jacob, M: ‘Jesus Christ! You taking the piss Skippy? Lads, it was Reverend Hall all along!’
Quigley, E: ‘No way. I can’t fooking believe it.’
Meyler: ‘Training Monday night at 6.30pm lads.’
Rest of the group: ‘Fook that shit. We’re watching Home and Away instead.’

They’d probably be better off in fairness.