Wexford GAA 2008

Decent side on paper but they’re certainly not unbeatable despite their good record against us. After the Meath game, Monkey Allen pointed out our main weakness - leaving defenders isolated in 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 situations inside our own 45 and giving up loads of goal chances as a result. It’s great seeing our corner backs flying up the park and wing backs bombing on too but we can’t afford to be reckless and gung ho in how we go about it. We have the forward unit to hurt any team ourselves but we can’t be expected to register in excess of 2-14 to win games. Colm Morris versus Ross Munnelly should be a great battle.

John Meyler has recalled MJ Furlong to the Model County team for the Leinster SHC semi-final replay with Dublin in Croke Park on Sunday next.

Furlong was named in the team to face Dublin last weekend but withdrew before throw in due to an injury, with Brendan OLeary deputising in midfield. He has recovered sufficiently for the Wexford selectors to name him in the side for Sundays replay, although he will still need to undergo a late fitness test.

It was expected that there might be a number of changes to the side which managed only three scores in the first half of the drawn game, especially as young Stephen Doyle had impressed when introduced as a substitute, hitting two fine second half scores. However, that has not materilaised and Doyle has been kept in reserve.

Wexford (SHC v Dublin) - Damien Fitzhenry, Malachy Travers, Keith Rossiter, Paul Roche, Michael Jacob, David OConnor, Darren Stamp, M.J. Furlong, Colm Farrell, P.J. Nolan, Eoin Quigley, Diarmuid Lyng, David Redmond, Stephen Banville, Rory Jacob.

… Cant believe we’ve gone back to the team that failed to muster even a single point from play in the first half the last day. The hope is that maybe it’s ‘mind games’ and the likes of Doyle will start and Redmond will play further out the field, but at this stage who knows??

as for the footballers…

Jason Ryan has made three changes to his Wexford team for the Leinster football semi-final clash with Laois on Sunday next.

Adrian Morrissey and Thomas Howlin retain their place at half-back and midfield respectively following their good showing when introduced during the course of the dramatic win over Meath.

Captain Colm Morris moves to half-back in a switch with Niall Murphy while Brendan Doyle comes into the full-forward position at the expense of Paddy Colfer.

Ciarn Deely makes a welcome return to the squad and is included among the substitutes as Wexford endeavour to reach their first Leinster Senior Football final since 1956.

Wexford (SFC v Laois) - Anthony Masterson, Niall Murphy, Philip Wallace, Brian Malone, Adrian Morrissey, David Murphy, Colm Morris, Thomas Howlin, Eric Bradley, PJ Banville, Redmond Barry, Adrian Flynn, Ciarn Lyng, Brendan Doyle, Matty Forde.

…Ryan being proactive as usual, decent changes and i’d really love to see these lads make a leinster final. They deserve that at least IMO.

Hurlers has to be a dummy team.

Footballers - Any one of a number of possibilities but I like any of them! Good to have Colfer on the line to bring in and also David Walsh to keep things tight at the back. Also Shane Roche and Ben Brosnan on the bench as well as Rory Stafford. Christ, we actually have a panel this year, this could be dangerous.

Great Post

[quote=“stevie G”]John Meyler has recalled MJ Furlong to the Model County team for the Leinster SHC semi-final replay with Dublin in Croke Park on Sunday next.

Furlong was named in the team to face Dublin last weekend but withdrew before throw in due to an injury, with Brendan OLeary deputising in midfield. He has recovered sufficiently for the Wexford selectors to name him in the side for Sundays replay, although he will still need to undergo a late fitness test.

It was expected that there might be a number of changes to the side which managed only three scores in the first half of the drawn game, especially as young Stephen Doyle had impressed when introduced as a substitute, hitting two fine second half scores. However, that has not materilaised and Doyle has been kept in reserve.

Wexford (SHC v Dublin) - Damien Fitzhenry, Malachy Travers, Keith Rossiter, Paul Roche, Michael Jacob, David OConnor, Darren Stamp, M.J. Furlong, Colm Farrell, P.J. Nolan, Eoin Quigley, Diarmuid Lyng, David Redmond, Stephen Banville, Rory Jacob.

… Cant believe we’ve gone back to the team that failed to muster even a single point from play in the first half the last day. The hope is that maybe it’s ‘mind games’ and the likes of Doyle will start and Redmond will play further out the field, but at this stage who knows??

as for the footballers…

Jason Ryan has made three changes to his Wexford team for the Leinster football semi-final clash with Laois on Sunday next.

Adrian Morrissey and Thomas Howlin retain their place at half-back and midfield respectively following their good showing when introduced during the course of the dramatic win over Meath.

Captain Colm Morris moves to half-back in a switch with Niall Murphy while Brendan Doyle comes into the full-forward position at the expense of Paddy Colfer.

Ciarn Deely makes a welcome return to the squad and is included among the substitutes as Wexford endeavour to reach their first Leinster Senior Football final since 1956.

Wexford (SFC v Laois) - Anthony Masterson, Niall Murphy, Philip Wallace, Brian Malone, Adrian Morrissey, David Murphy, Colm Morris, Thomas Howlin, Eric Bradley, PJ Banville, Redmond Barry, Adrian Flynn, Ciarn Lyng, Brendan Doyle, Matty Forde.

…Ryan being proactive as usual, decent changes and i’d really love to see these lads make a leinster final. They deserve that at least IMO.[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Ye need this one against Laois. Should be a cracker and would make for a great LFF.
Writing is already on the wall v Dublin. No Offense.

Don’t want to contemplate that starting Wexford team unless it’s a dummy one. Surely they can’t start with that midfield and leave Redmond in the corner. Stephen Doyle to surely start and maybe one or 2 others. Must be mind games-if not I’d start turning to Bandage’s shout of “Meyler Out.”

As for the footballers, it could be a great call to have Boccy as a 3rd midfielder and to roam into full forward at times. Hope it works to a tee.

3rd midifelder? Could be interesting leaving Mattie in a lot of space. Could also drag Joe out the field as he would be best to go wandering on that FB line for Laois. Looking forward to Sunday now.

I’m writing off the hurling team as a dummy team. If it isn’t, then I fear for our chances.

I’m very happy with the football line-up and I think it hints that we won’t get played through so easily, a point I was making here yesterday. I expect Howlin and Doyle to play in midfield with Bradley given licence to go anywhere and everywhere. He’s got great energy and is a goalscoring threat from deep but can also drop back to soak up pressure. Forde and Lyng will have plenty of room inside where they can be found by Barry and there’s real pace on the bench with Roche and Brosnan.

From wxsite: Apparently the hurling team named is indeed incorrect, issued due to requirement for players listing for game program.

Mj Furlong is on cruches with a suspected broken bone in his leg.

More than likely Pj Nolan will partner David Redmond in Midfield.

Willie Doran is likely to get a start at centre Forward with Redmond’s corner forward spot going to Barry Lambert.

Colm Farrell and Brendan O’Leary to be demoted to bench.

[quote=“Pikeman”]From wxsite: Apparently the hurling team named is indeed incorrect, issued due to requirement for players listing for game program.

Mj Furlong is on cruches with a suspected broken bone in his leg.

More than likely Pj Nolan will partner David Redmond in Midfield.

Willie Doran is likely to get a start at centre Forward with Redmond’s corner forward spot going to Barry Lambert.

Colm Farrell and Brendan O’Leary to be demoted to bench.[/quote]

Hey Pikeman
Bring along yer boots.

Just in case

The team named for the hurling has to be a dummy team. Either that or Meyler and his selectors weren’t at the game last Saturday. In fairness, when a team has a replay a week after the original game they don’t know where they stand with injuries until late in the week so just send the same team to the press.

I’d expect Redmond to start at midfield but think that Stephen Doyle might be kept in reserve as he is not long back training.

The selection of Bocky Doyle at full forward for the footballers is an interesting one. A lot of people are under the impression that he will move out to midfield but I think he may stay in near the goal. If it isn’t working then there is the option to move him out as a third midfielder. Doyle is Donaghy-like in his fielding ability but unfortunately isn’t Donaghy-like in his kicking or distribution so it’s hard to know if the tactic will work.

If it doesn’t we have plenty of options as this is probably the strongest bench Wexford have ever had for a championship game. Last year we were forced to bring on 4 Intermediate players for championship debuts while this year we have the likes of Roche, Stafford, Walsh, Byrne, Colfer, Deely, Brosnan etc to change a game. The benefits of a strong bench were never more in evident than the Meath game and is the reason why I think we will overcome our semi-final hoodoo. Wexford by two points.

no offence Wexicans, I will be rooting for ye sunday in the football but evs wexford 11/10 Laois? I know ye beat Meath an all but I wouldnt have made you favs.

Westmeath 9/2 v the 1/6 dubs is a decent small bet

Thought we were obvious enough favourites Dan. On form, only unbeaten team in Ireland, Div.3 Champions, beat Meath. Think we are favourites alright.

Yea but Meath are shite pikeman, and even at that they were spanking ye in the first half. Fair play on the turnaround, but which is the real Wexford team? Should be a good game Sunday, no shite with this defensive football, this will be a game for the purists thank god.

Ah mbb, you can say that now that he game is over. AI Semi finalist from last year all the same, and apparently the only team to challenge the Dubs in Leinster this year.
Twill be a purists joy alright-looking forward to it.

From The Indo:
Hurling boss John Meyler is confident that corner-forward Barry Lambert will be available for Sunday’s Leinster senior hurling championship semi-final replay with Dublin.

The St Martin’s clubman, who had looked likely to miss out on the season, returned to training two weeks back, and Meyler is now hopeful that Lambert will be available to make the starting 15.

“Barry came through a full club game on Sunday morning. He said he was pleased and had no after affects,” he said.

A prolific free-taker, Lambert will be welcomed back into the side as it was his last gasp pointed free that ousted Dublin last year.

However, Stephen Nolan (dislocated thumb) and MJ Furlong (calf muscle) are out of the replay.

“They’re still struggling with injuries and it’s unlikely they will make the match,” Meyler added

[quote=“Pikeman”]Ah mbb, you can say that now that he game is over. AI Semi finalist from last year all the same, and apparently the only team to challenge the Dubs in Leinster this year.
Twill be a purists joy alright-looking forward to it.[/quote]

Yea but last year was always in doubt for me, never more so than now you see how bad Tyrone really were, and how bad Cork are since proving to be. This Meath “resurgence” is a bit of a bugbear to me.

am I right in saying Paul Lambert of Nemo fame was a Wexford man? Did he play inter county with Wx whilst playing with nemo. he was a duper player as well. Anyrelation to Barry Lambert

Are you thinking of Peter lambert who played with Nemo and tipperary footballers? left footed corner forward?

Never heard of him Dan. I know Darragh Breen, current Nemo Corner back is a Wexford man-played for the yellowbellies up to a couple of years ago.

I am indeed, to say I got my wires crossed is an understatement