Wexford GAA 2008

I can’t wait for these games on Sunday. It’s weird in that we’ve had similar days in the last couple of years where the footballers and hurlers have played together in Croker and we’ve left feeling pretty gutted but this time I’m far more confident. That’s primarily because we’re playing a hurling semi-final of course and not a final against Kilkenny but the footballers have much more strength in depth and belief this year too.

My main focus is on the footballers and I’m gagging for these lads to make a breakthrough and win a Leinster Final after the massive effort they’ve put in over the past few years. I don’t just want to get to a Leinster Final - the likes of Offaly have been in finals recently and went backwards down through the Divisions - I want to win a fooking final!

But, as the old saying goes, we need to take it one game at a time and take care of Laois first. I recall us beating them in the league in 2005 in Wexford Park when we got to the Division 1 final but they’ve had the upper hand against us in most of our recent encounters, including championship wins last year and in 2003. But we’re a better side this year and I’m not sure if they’re playing as well as they have in other years.* Sunday represents a superb opportunity for us to show that we’re a good team. We better fooking do it!

Gwan Wexford!

• I recognise that beating them in January in the O’Byrne Cup means shit.

Opposition to Nickey Rackard Statue

DURING a week when Wexford hurling remained at a low-ebb, plans to erect a statue to the county’s greatest hurler, Nickey Rackard, in the new Trimmers Lane Square have been objected to by a group of business people from the Selskar area who feel it would be wholly inappropriate’.
It has also emerged that Rathnure G.A.A. Club are not happy with the plans to place a statue of their local hero in Wexford town, but Mayor George Lawlor is defending the plan approved by Wexford Borough Council last week and hit out at the Selskar business people, saying it’s a bit rich for people with lately come connections to be lecturing the Mayor of Wexford on Selskar’.
The group of business people who have objected to the proposal are as follows:
Declan Moloney (Lost Weekend), Johnny Gordon (The Bike Shop), Roberto Pons (La Dolca Vita), Donal Morris (Greenacres), Michael O’Sullivan (S&K Computers), Tony Robinson (Spectrum), Eddie O’Leary (The Barber Shop), Michael Byrne (Taste Restaurant) and Nigel Hamilton (The Phone Doctor).
Their objections are set out in a letter to the Borough Council.
I don’t see where they are coming from as for many years they were content to have it as an unsightly car park and there was no mention of the history of Selskar,’ said Mayor Lawlor.
I just don’t see how it could be a negative thing and I don’t like being lectured about the history of Wexford by people who have a limited connection with the town. In fact it’s a bit rich for people with lately come connections to be lecturing the Mayor of Wexford on Selskar,’ said Mayor Lawlor.
I think it’s an ideal location as it’s a public square and we are making it more accessible to people,’ said Mayor Lawlor.
He said the feedback to the plan has been tremendous’. Let’s do it now and be proud of it. I’m a believer in doing things, not sitting around talking about them,’ said Mayor Lawlor.
One of the people objecting suggested a fountain that would be filled with litter every weekend and another business objecting has no problem putting hideous signs outside their shop that take away from the area,’ he said.
Chairman of Rathnure G.A.A. Club Mark Morrissey confirmed that a meeting was due to be held last (Tuesday) night so the club could draft a letter expressing their views on the matter to be sent to Wexford County Council.
Mark said that the club feel the statue should be in Rathnure, at their grounds named after Nickey Rackard.

Establishments in bold are to be boycotted.

Liam Griffin’s response to the controversy

Former Wexford hurling manager Liam Griffin said that he respects the point-of-view of local traders, but feels that it would be appropriate to have a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar.They are doing a wonderful job on that area and a tastefully done statue will bring trade to that end of town and make it more vibrant,’ said Liam.

Former Wexford hurling manager Liam Griffin said that he respects the point-of-view of local traders, but feels that it would be appropriate to have a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar.

They are doing a wonderful job on that area and a tastefully done statue will bring trade to that end of town and make it more vibrant,’ said Liam.

He said there’s an understanding among people and not just G.A.A. people of what Wexford was in the 1950s and 60s and that as Nickey Rackard was the iconic figure of that era his statue will attract plenty of visitors.

This is more to do with what we are, who we area and a sense of pride about ourselves in Wexford,’ said Liam.

Our history, who we are and what we are is important and it’s getting lost these days. We can have Tesco, Lidl and Aldi in Wexford, but not a statue of Nickey Rackard?’

People especially young people will see that statue and ask about it. And it’s right that they do and learn about our recent past,’ said Liam. He fought against all the demons of human frailty and is an example to us all.’

The 1950s and 60s was a great period for Wexford, people felt good about themselves and their county and it was all on the back of the hurling team,’ said Liam.

Liam said that it is appropriate to honour him in the capital town of the county. He feels that by putting the statue in Wexford Park it would be unfairly limiting it to just G.A.A. people, while he said that to have the statue in Rathnure would seriously limit the amount of people who would see it.

Tom Williams, author of Cuchulainn’s Son, makes the point that Selskar is well known for a number of things apart from its abbey and points out that it was the home of the football team that won Wexford’s first All-Ireland in 1894 the Selskar Young Irelands.

Of course Nickey Rackard was a dual player and played senior championship football for Wexford before he played senior championship hurling,’ said Tom.

Tom said he would like to see a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar. It’s there for people to see, if you go to Cork and Limerick, you’ll see Christy Ring and Mick Mackey there,’ he said.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Former Wexford hurling manager Liam Griffin said that he respects the point-of-view of local traders, but feels that it would be appropriate to have a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar.They are doing a wonderful job on that area and a tastefully done statue will bring trade to that end of town and make it more vibrant,’ said Liam.

Former Wexford hurling manager Liam Griffin said that he respects the point-of-view of local traders, but feels that it would be appropriate to have a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar.

They are doing a wonderful job on that area and a tastefully done statue will bring trade to that end of town and make it more vibrant,’ said Liam.

He said there’s an understanding among people and not just G.A.A. people of what Wexford was in the 1950s and 60s and that as Nickey Rackard was the iconic figure of that era his statue will attract plenty of visitors.

This is more to do with what we are, who we area and a sense of pride about ourselves in Wexford,’ said Liam.

Our history, who we are and what we are is important and it’s getting lost these days. We can have Tesco, Lidl and Aldi in Wexford, but not a statue of Nickey Rackard?’

People especially young people will see that statue and ask about it. And it’s right that they do and learn about our recent past,’ said Liam. He fought against all the demons of human frailty and is an example to us all.’

The 1950s and 60s was a great period for Wexford, people felt good about themselves and their county and it was all on the back of the hurling team,’ said Liam.

Liam said that it is appropriate to honour him in the capital town of the county. He feels that by putting the statue in Wexford Park it would be unfairly limiting it to just G.A.A. people, while he said that to have the statue in Rathnure would seriously limit the amount of people who would see it.

Tom Williams, author of Cuchulainn’s Son, makes the point that Selskar is well known for a number of things apart from its abbey and points out that it was the home of the football team that won Wexford’s first All-Ireland in 1894 the Selskar Young Irelands.

Of course Nickey Rackard was a dual player and played senior championship football for Wexford before he played senior championship hurling,’ said Tom.

Tom said he would like to see a statue of Nickey Rackard in Selskar. It’s there for people to see, if you go to Cork and Limerick, you’ll see Christy Ring and Mick Mackey there,’ he said.[/quote]

In fairness I think the only statue of Ringy is in Cloyne, unless DanC or MaireGG wants to correct me on that.

Still some dose of shite that 8 business dont want the statue there. Never mind the fuckers, put it up there anyway.

Gwan Wexford!

[quote=“Mac”]In fairness I think the only statue of Ringy is in Cloyne, unless DanC or MaireGG wants to correct me on that.

Still some dose of shite that 8 business dont want the statue there. Never mind the fuckers, put it up there anyway.[/quote]

Dont know of any others myself anyways

Was just reading through GAA Boards and came across the following post which had never struck me before

Since Johnny Dooley mugged Wexford with a last minute goal 10 years ago, I don’t recall Wexford ever being beaten in a tight championship finish.
Since then they have ground out some great wins and draws in tight battles.

In 2001 Damian Fitzhenry beat Limerick with a last minute free. They drew with Tipp with 3 second half goals in the next match.
In the 2003 championship they narrowly edged out both Waterford and Offaly and drew with Cork.
In 2004 they beat Kilkenny with a last minute goal.
In 2006, they beat Offaly by a late point.
Last year they beat Dublin and Tipp by one and two points respectively

Granted when they have lost, they have been fairly whupped, but if they are ever within touching distance, they always manage to hang on and survive.

That’s why Dublin’s lead of only 4 points at half time was always going to be perilous. Dublin also needed to rattle the net to make Wexford heads drop when they were on top.

I think Dublin still need to break the psychological barrier of beating Wexford, Offaly or Kilkenny in Leinster. Beating Offaly in 1991 is their last scalp. While there is talk of Dublin being the second best team in Leinster, they still need to actually beat the third and fourth best team in Leinster to make this a reality.

They wont get a better chance than today, but I think the advantage is back with Wexford after how the game panned out today.

Never realised we’d won or drawn so many games that we stayed playing for 70 mins in. Granted the Leinster Final in 2001 or 2002 KK beat us by 2 points and then in 2005 I think they beat us by 3 or 4 but leaving those games aside we do have a great record in close matches in the championship.

Good auld win for Wexford there. Despite me giving out about Liam Hayes slagging off Laois I thought they were utter shite today.

Thought Barry and Banville (horrendous hairstyle) were particularly excellent for the Yellowbellies

what a team, what a team. Ps i’m posting this from flannerys! C’mon the yella bellies! Bring on those scumbag dubs

Wexford were class today alright. Laois didn’t turn up but I think Hayes’ point was that Laois had bottled loads of Leinster titles. The reality is they haven’t been the best team in Leinster in any year since they won it.

Only concern for Wexford would be Morris seemed to struggle a bit when Parkinson ran at him. Fair play to Ryan though, has them really well organised and very motivated.

Parkinson was the only player that Laois had. Took the game to Wexford and seem to fairly destroy Wallace (no?)…

[quote=“therock67”]Wexford were class today alright. Laois didn’t turn up but I think Hayes’ point was that Laois had bottled loads of Leinster titles. The reality is they haven’t been the best team in Leinster in any year since they won it.

Only concern for Wexford would be Morris seemed to struggle a bit when Parkinson ran at him. Fair play to Ryan though, has them really well organised and very motivated.[/quote]

Great win today. I’m just back from a very long day in Croker via the pub. Three games and no loses and most importantly the footballers won! and thats with Matty off form (despite 6 points).

I think you mean Wallace rather Morris (who had a very good game) as he was marking Parkinson today. Wallace looked very slow at times but the rest of the defenders covered ably.

First leinster final since 1956, can’t feicin wait!

Sorry yeah Wallace it was. Looked a bit exposed sometimes but that was the only threat at all.

parkinson scored 4 points from play. Major problem. Matty hit 8 wides on his own. We hammered those landlocked bastards. Bring on those dubs. Flannerys is savage when your hammered! And to think, we had to share a league with leitrim. Talk about bringing the lads down a level

Did wexford really score 16 points from play or is the metro completely wrong

They did alright I think.

[quote=“Mac”]In fairness I think the only statue of Ringy is in Cloyne, unless DanC or MaireGG wants to correct me on that.

Still some dose of shite that 8 business dont want the statue there. Never mind the fuckers, put it up there anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, unless Glen Rovers have something too. Not a club I frequent so I wouldn’t know; but I imagine theres something in Blackpool.

Regards City Council property: the Christy Ring Bridge is a substantial investment in his name. There’s also the old Flower Lodge in his name.

I wonder what the turnover of these 8 businesses in Selskar is, hardly anchor tenent stuff . the Council should lash up the statue and put up their rates; yer man can unblock phones somewhere else.

Wexford should have won the football by way more. Matty wasn’t on song at all but we still hammered Laois. Phillip Wallace was cleaned out at full back and should have been taken off.
As for the hurlers-mother a jaysus-only reason we ewon was because Dublin were way worse than we were. Kilkenny laughing now.
Minors were poor enough but did well to get the draw.
Good craic in Coppers last night. Mac didn’t get in cos he was too drunk.(Bad if ya can’t get into coppers!!!) Can’t bring the lad anywhere.

This is going to be one of the longest days of the year. Am still pretty much hammered after last night. Not often we get 2 victories in HQ in the one day but the hangover (when it comes) will be worth it.

C’mon the yella bellies!

Posting from Flannery’s is really tremendous work Mac. I didn’t think we played that well but the consensus from neutrals who watched it seems to be that we did. I’m not one to make sweeping statements but I can therefore only conclude that we’re going to win the All-Ireland. I thought Adrian Morrissey had an outstanding game at half back. Tommy Howlin was a beast in midfield and Redmond Barry is such a superb footballer. PJ Banville worked his nuts off and I couldn’t believe Matty had 6 wides before his first point from play. But like against Meath, he stepped up when the pressure was on and kicked some crackers in the second half. Oh, it’s great to be from Wexford.