Wexford GAA 2008

im with the panel on the sunday game on this one - yellow card for the sublime walsh - no more

I also recall getting a drunken commitment from Stevie G in the pub last night to go on a Wednesday evening road trip down to Wexford Park for the minor football semi-final against Offaly. Come on da minors.

Scored 1-4 in 1992. SGE!

[quote=“Gavin”]Use to like tommy walsh too until last year when he was acting the maggot in the leinster final with stephen nolan. Dirty bollox should’ve been fucked out the field yesterday, thought stamp was going to burst him at one stage, pity he missed. As for shefflin, don’t get me started.

Anyway, to the game, great first half, was so happy with them and the effort they were putting in, but in the second half kilkenny just showed how good they are. 2-4 in seven minutes is unreal. Showed what we can do in the first half.

For the quater finals… I fear no one, bar cork.

Wexford are the reason kilkenny will be beaten this year. If the likes of Cork were to apply that game plan it would work with them because they have better players to execute it.[/quote]

Kilkenny 5-21 Wexford 0-17

I know the scoreline pal, i was there.

Some more random thoughts, facts and completely made up stuff:

• Comerford kicked Travers when he was on the ground after he’d initially tackled him around the neck.
  • If one of our wing backs, say Darren Stamp, had committed the fouls Tommy Walsh did then he’d have been sent off.
  • I was interviewing one of the Wexford players for TFK there and he reckons fitness was also an issue.
  • Wexford didn’t do as much stamina work last winter as in previous years and it showed up in the second half.
  • It also emphasises how far off the pace Dublin are given we finished stronger than them in the drawn semi final.
  • It still doesn’t explain the stray passes and general sloppiness in possession we displayed after half time.
  • Of course we’d be a match for any team if we reproduced our first half performance for a full game.
  • But Wexford don’t do consistency. We used to struggle to put in two good performances in succession but could match anyone over seventy minutes on a given day.
  • Now it appears we can only play for half a game.
  • That said I don’t think we gave up yesterday. We just lost our collective shape and discipline and took a pummelling in the second half.
  • The options they have are vast. Comerford and Brennan weren’t doing much in the half forward line in the first half but ran us ragged when they were switched inside. As for the fookers they’re able to bring on - enough said.
  • We forced them to launch long and high balls into their forwards in the first half but when our half back line and midfield got dragged too far up the pitch in the second half it left loads of space inside for them to hit good, pinpoint balls into Power and Brennan.
  • Richie Power’s parents are first cousins.
  • Kilkenny’s backs are vulnerable and they’re by no means shoe-ins to win 3 on the trot.
  • Wexford don’t have the panel depth to cope without the likes of Rossiter, Stephen Nolan and Barry Lambert, albeit the latter made an appearance off the bench.
  • I’m still pissed.

Hands up, who is it?

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001933f15e.jpg

He’s a good lad. Was well up for it yesterday and when the 4th goal went in he adopted that pose and started banging his shoes together and shouting encouragement to Wexford. Fair enough he was either pissed, stoned or both but then a cop came down and lifted him out of there, which I thought was harsh. His bird looked mortified walking out behind him. One positive was that I missed the 5th goal because of the kerfuffle. Stevie G or Jugs reminded me I could catch a replay on the big screen but I didn’t bother. Someone shouted ‘End police brutality now’ as he was being dragged out.

Any streakers yesterday?

Quality stuff, old school jersey too so respect for that. The bird doesnt look bad mind you…

Shoddy enough too that Rossiter, one of our lynchpin players, missed out yesterday due to a recurrence of a groin injury he’s been carrying since last Christmas. You look at the main contenders and you expect that if one of their key players was similarly injured they’d either have been operated on earlier or given whatever treatment necessary to get them through games. It’s pretty disappointing to have him pull out with a sore groin.

Have you ever seen his girlfriend? I’d say he’s well used to sore groins.

[quote=“Bandage”]- Richie Power’s parents are first cousins.
[/quote]

i believe he is known locally as butter…because he is inbred…

As I said to Jugs yesterday, the lad’s unmarkable. He was holding Malachy Travers off with two of his arms and knocking points over with his third one.

I was going to go on a rant about the mental frailties of the lads on the pitch yesterday but having given it more thought i reckon it’s a problem with Wexford people in general and myself, Bandage and Stevie G proved it in Coppers last night. Early on in the night we were full of endeavour, getting stuck in all over the dancefloor. Tall, small, thin, fat, enormous, we took them all on with no fear. It was a workmanlike performance characterised by the Northern style of swarming around the opposition and suffocating any attempts to play themselves out of trouble. As the night wore on, although we never ever gave up, there came a point where (after missing out on a few easy scores) we just lacked the belief that we could emerge with a victory. Tactics went out the window, our co-ordination in the last third went a bit awry. We threw in a few hopeful punts rather than sticking to the gameplan and ultimately the night just petered out which was disappointing given the near capacity crowd. Nevertheless we’ll pick our ourselves up, try and learn from our mistakes and prepare for the next outing where we’ll have to maintain our discipline a bit better and keep going for the full 4 hours.

Winners never quit Quitters never win

Thats the spirt Jugs.

Winners never quit Quitters never win

Thats the spirit Jugs.
However try and avoid the Nordy style game plan : Its not pretty and results tend to be short term as in flash in the pan stuff
e.g. Francie Bellew bulldozing or Maurice Fitzgerald finishing?
Just thought I’d mention it.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Hands up, who is it?

http://dynimg.rte.ie/0001933f15e.jpg[/quote]

Top bloke that man!

The only bit of entertainment we had in the 2nd half in the Hogan Stand on Sunday.

Unless he did something else naughty, it seems that you can be ejected for supporting your team too boisterously these days.

And 35 a ticket for a cloister-like, contemplative atmosphere, with plenty of leg-room and space to roam, too.

Well worth it!!

That better befucking true cos its brilliant!

tis true alright…a friend of mine is studying in UL with a couple of lads from around carrickshocks and that is what they told me…