Wexford GAA 2008

BREAKING NEWS from Wexford. John Meyler is no longer the Wexford senior hurling manager. Just got this update from a source in the local Wexford media.

Meyler Ousted In Cash Struggle

New Wexford Senior hurling manager Taffy Cash has announced his team for the All-Ireland quarter-final despite Wexford not yet knowing who their opposition will be.

Cash deposed John Meyler in a faction fight in the car park of Craanford GAA grounds after training on Wednesday last. Garda later recovered a samurai sword, eleven knuckle-dusters and a severed right hand from the scene.

Speaking exclusively last night, Cash revealed his decision to stage a sensational coup was inspired by the selection of Jim Berry on the panel for the recent Leinster final.

‘All of the boys travelled up to the game when we heard Jim was on the panel. When they didn’t bring him on we said we may do something about it. We’ve plenty of lads who won’t spare the ash the next day.’

Mr. Philip O’Leary of Ardcavan Coach Tours spoke of his disappointment after losing the contract to bring the Wexford team to Croke Park. ‘We have a long-standing association with the G.A.A., but I have to agree that the Hiace is a durable, roadworthy vehicle, and three of them will do the job just as well.’

The team features 14 debutants to Senior championship hurling and is as follows:

Larry Connors (Bunclody); Rich Connors (St. Anne’s), Joe Connors (St. Anne’s), Jimmy ‘Stick’ Goggins (GOH); Mikey Berry (Harriers), David Connors (St. Anne’s), John John Connors (Shamrocks); Tom Berry (Harriers), Ollie Connors (Rapps); Mylie ‘Daddles’ Connors (Bunclody), Jim Berry (Harriers), Jimmy ‘Chap’ Goggins (GOH); Mickey Connors (Bunclody), Mylie Cash (Shamrocks, capt.), Tiddly Tom Connors (Bunclody).

Supporters wishing to travel may contact Tony Furlong to secure a place on the supporters’ bus. It will be leaving Ferndale at 9 a.m. and will stop at Taghmon (9.15 a.m.), the Bosheen in New Ross (9.30 a.m.), Templeshannon (10 a.m.) and the Halting Site in Shankill for members of the Dublin Supporters’ Club at 12 noon on the day of the game.

Just heading off to watch our camogie team against Kilkenny in the senior championship. Fooking hell, I miss Celtic matches on a Sunday. Gwan Wexford!

FT: Wexford 3-14 Kilkenny 2-4.

'Twas actually good to beat them in something. All 7 senior camogie teams play each other, with the top 4 progressing to the semi-finals and Wexford really needed to win today having lost their first two games against Cork and Galway.

If you look on the RTE site, you’ll see the Kilkenny manager mouthing off about how they were going to win the game. Ha! I was impressed with Wexford’s intensity and they were strong and decisive in winning the ball and they hurled well too. For women.

All the defence were good and Michelle O’Leary was class in midfield. Ursula Jacob got 2 goals and Caroline Murphy was pretty good too. Spotted at the game were Martin Storey, David O’Connor, Damien Fitzhenry, Matty Forde, Colm Morris, Redmond Barry and David Murphy.

Thats a fair hammering alright considering Kilkenny thought theyd the game in the bag. Anne Downey sickened no less.
Maybe Wexford’s All Ireland hangover is cured and they can go on to retein the title.

Mac i see you were wondering if there was a challenge game on the wexsupporters site for the football…
They played Kildare and lost 3-15 to 15 points. Wouldn’t read much into this though as we always seem to do bad in challenge games.

[quote=“Gavin”]Mac i see you were wondering if there was a challenge game on the wexsupporters site for the football…
They played Kildare and lost 3-15 to 15 points. Wouldn’t read much into this though as we always seem to do bad in challenge games.[/quote]

We’ve pretty much lost every single challenge game we’ve played, even to no-hoper teams like Leitrim, so it’s quite ironic that we’re the only undefeated team in the country this season in competitive league and championship football.

Yeah its a bit weird alright, competitive stuff is what matters though i suppose so we won’t give out about it. Looking forward to Sunday now. Going to be an eventful day i’d imagine. Not looking forward to listening to the dubs though. Any repeats of 05 with fireworks they shouldn’t be giving the hill anymore. I don’t think they should anyway but that’s not for me to say.

After having to put up with the Dubs in last years Leinster Final I dont envy you lot on Sunday. A Leinster Final is a wonderful occasions, but last year soured me beyond belief.

I never would have had much problem with them before, but ever since the bile I was subjected to that day, I will cheer for any side playing them.

It’s a weird one with the Dublin championship support. I’ve no problem at all with the Dublin team and I don’t think they’re dirty or annoying. If anything they were a bit soft before and the management have tried to make them a bit meaner in the last couple of seasons but lads like the Brogans, Sherlock, Keaney etc are clean footballers, as are most of their backs in fairness. The only players I don’t have much time for are Whelan and Casey but I reserve the right to change my mind on any of them after Sunday!

As for their support, again, I don’t have any issues with their core support but their following increases considerably with the bandwagon summer element. Every county has their fairweather championship crew but given the size of Dublin it gets magnified hugely for them. In fairness, I know lads involved with their clubs around Dublin who get pretty embarrassed by the scheidt they see some of the clowns supporting Dublin in Croke Park doing.

In the 2005 semi-final, there were plenty of idiots in the Dublin support but, by and large, I supported Wexford voiciferously and ignored and crap from them. I plan on doing the same on Sunday even if there are birds looking for shoving matches, lads looking to fist pump in your face when Dublin score and idiots throwing firecrackers onto the park at our players.

Although fook it, I’m liable to say anything in the heat of the battle - there was a few minutes in Carlow in 2002 when lads were looking to give me a few digs after we were coming back strongly against them in the second half and I shouted something about getting stuck into them like Meath do and how the gutless pricks would bottle it as usual.

Happy Anniversary Menapians!

today is the 12th anniversary of the 1996 Leinster Senior Hurling Final. What a day! and how things have changed since…

[quote=“Bandage”]It’s a weird one with the Dublin championship support. I’ve no problem at all with the Dublin team and I don’t think they’re dirty or annoying. If anything they were a bit soft before and the management have tried to make them a bit meaner in the last couple of seasons but lads like the Brogans, Sherlock, Keaney etc are clean footballers, as are most of their backs in fairness. The only players I don’t have much time for are Whelan and Casey but I reserve the right to change my mind on any of them after Sunday!

As for their support, again, I don’t have any issues with their core support but their following increases considerably with the bandwagon summer element. Every county has their fairweather championship crew but given the size of Dublin it gets magnified hugely for them. In fairness, I know lads involved with their clubs around Dublin who get pretty embarrassed by the scheidt they see some of the clowns supporting Dublin in Croke Park doing.

In the 2005 semi-final, there were plenty of idiots in the Dublin support but, by and large, I supported Wexford voiciferously and ignored and crap from them. I plan on doing the same on Sunday even if there are birds looking for shoving matches, lads looking to fist pump in your face when Dublin score and idiots throwing firecrackers onto the park at our players.

Although fook it, I’m liable to say anything in the heat of the battle - there was a few minutes in Carlow in 2002 when lads were looking to give me a few digs after we were coming back strongly against them in the second half and I shouted something about getting stuck into them like Meath do and how the gutless pricks would bottle it as usual.[/quote]

was that game in Carlow the day ireland played in the world cup & the GAA had the throw in at 7.00 instead of 3.00 meaning everyone was hammered & messy??

to defend the dublin support crowd wise- they sell out parnell park during the league so they do have a very decent core support

[quote=“north county corncrake”]was that game in Carlow the day ireland played in the world cup & the GAA had the throw in at 7.00 instead of 3.00 meaning everyone was hammered & messy??

to defend the dublin support crowd wise- they sell out parnell park during the league so they do have a very decent core support[/quote]

It was a Saturday evening game alright. Can’t remember the score but we lost narrowly and then lost to Tyrone by 1-9 to 0-10 the following week in a qualifier in Wexford Park.

Here’s one for ye lads

http://www.squareball.com/shop/images/D/leinster-vir-1500.jpg

You can always rely on the Alley for a bit of violence.

From rte.ie:

Violent scenes mar Wexford clash

Wexford GAA has been rocked by a melee that forced the abandonment of a County Under-21 hurling championship match on Monday evening.

St Martin’s and Buffers Alley were drawn together for a mouth-watering opening round clash in Piercestown, but supporters got more than they bargained for as referee Justin Heffernan was left with no option but to abandon the game ten minutes from the end.

Minutes later, the referee had to flee to the safety of his car as Buffers Alley players gave chase across the field to complain of his early end to the game.

The latter stages of a bad-tempered second half saw St Martin’s midfielder James Boggan dismissed following a foul stroke.

Then Buffers Alley player James Foley met with four shoulder charges from separate individual players as he soloed down the sideline.

Foley’s father had been acting as linesman and went to intervene, but this led to an escalation of hostility as supporters and substitutes joined the players in a violent free for all. Fists, hurls and boots were used during the course of the incident.

Referee Heffernan made a hasty retreat to his car as Alley players
gave chase, complaining of the early end to a game which they were leading by 2-16 to 1-8 at the time of the abandonment.

A number of mentors attempted to diffuse the volatile situation, but peace was only restored on the arrival of local Garda.

Anybody got any Wexford team news for Sunday?

Dublin have delayed naming their team as Collie Moran’s DRA hearing has still to take place.

Finally, I’ve got confirmation from my ticketing source that all the tickets I ordered have come through. I was worried for a while as he’d left me hanging like a convicted Saudi Arabian child molester since Monday.

I know women and their sports are very stupid people and things but the Wexford and Dublin All-Ireland Camogie Championship clash is going ahead this Sunday afternoon down in Wexford despite the two counties meeting in the Leinster Senior Football Final up in Croke Park at the same time and with Wexford chasing their first title in 63 years. Joke.

My tickets for Sunday are in blocks of 2, 3 and 4 and in different sections of the ground so I’ve delegated seat planning to Appendage, who has vast experience of this from his recent nuptials. After hiding the birds away in Premium Level in the end the last day, some poor unfortunate will be left with them on Sunday and it ain’t gonna be me.

Gwan Wexford!

why the fook are you brining birds in the first place bandage when tickets will be so scarce…bad form

I’ll probably go down even more in people’s estimation…but I’d prefer to give a ticket to a bird who’s been to a few games than a bandwagon fook who’s never supported the footballers in his life. Apparently, we’re going to sell 15,000+ tickets at home. Where the fook have these cooonts been in the past when Redmond ‘Millhouse’ Barry or Matty ‘Betty’ Forde or Ciarn ‘Twenty Cent’ Lyng needed some support? Sickening.

I dont know where they’ve been bandage but they are certainly coming out in force. relations of mine went for tickets today and were met with a wall of people stretching back down to corish park. He said it was confirmed on the radio that Wexford Park alone had sold over 12,000 tickets already.

Feic that Bandage the more the merrier. Its been a lonely old slog supporting the footballers over the last few years, its about time they got the support they deserve. Bandwagoners ye are more than welcome! The more yella bellies in croker on sunday shouting and screaming the better. Fierce interest back home by all accounts. My Ma is evening going. We are after getting 18 tickets and i’ve a few more promised through work. I cant feicin wait now. Pints before hand in mcgraths shouting on Fermanagh in the Ulster final, then watching Wexford turn on the style and Colm Morris lifting the cup and finishing off falling asleep into my pint at 3 in the morning. I’ve Monday booked off in anticipation.