Wexford GAA 2008

I agree totally padjo - the more the merrier indeed. I was just saying that I’d prefer to give a spare ticket to a bird that’s been to a few of our football games than a bloke who hasn’t. That’s a big admission for me as I would usually be totally against women being involved in Gaelic Football as they obviously don’t have a clue about it. But as long as we get good support overall then I’ll be satisfied.

I was discussing Sunday’s game offline with Appendage earlier.

We came to a consensus on a few matters:

David Murphy should definitely hold the centre for us and play a zonal game 20 yards in front of Wallace in order to give the necessary protection to our full back line.

If that means Sherlock gets on the ball a bit then so be it as we both agreed he doesn’t have the game to hurt us with raking foot passes and long distance points.

What we need to prevent is the Dublin midfield and half backs storming forward and receiving popped handpasses from him and the rest of the half forward line and running right through us.

With that in mind, we agreed that we should replicate our formation against Laois when we had a triumvirate of players stationed around the midfield in Howlin, Doyle and Bradley and they can drop back and defend as and when required.

We’ll also need our half forwards to work hard in both halves of the pitch.

Bryan Cullen plays a similar kind of role for Dublin as the one we’re advocating David Murphy should play on Sunday. As a result, we should look to get Red Barry roaming all over the park and see how Cullen reacts.

Barry is our main player in terms of linking defence and attack, is our best passer of the ball, and can also take a score. We saw Declan O’Sulivan trouble Cullen last year playing a running game and Cullen didn’t know whether to track him all over the park or hold his central position. We should try to capitalise on similar uncertainty.

I would also be tempted to bring Forde out into that area for 10 minutes at some stage to see if he can get more space there. He’s equally adept at threading balls through for others and he can score from long distance too obviously.

If Wallace does struggle then Brian Malone is well capable of moving into full back.

If they do play a small full back line to combat the trio of Forde, Lyng and Banville then at some stage we could change tactics and send a big man into the full forward line like Paddy Colfer.

I forgot what else I was going to say.

if ex hoop Jayo gets too much of the ball he has the intelligence to punish you

He’ll need to rely on intelligence as he’s not rapid anymore.

what I posted over on ws.com. The extra support is welcome, even if it is a bandwagon. The footballers get fook all credit for what they have achieved in the last few years and get fook all support, even tho they are glad enough to get what they do. They’ve given me far more enjoyment and fulfilment than the hurlers have in the same time period.

Really looking forward to this game. Doesnt seem to be much hype around at home really about it, which is a good thing. Football really goes under the radar in Wexford, and it seems to keep the players feet on the ground. I dont expect the occassion to get to them like some people expect them to. They have played Dublin in a capacity Croke Par before and know what to expect from the hill (other than firecrackers thrown at them) so I expect Ryan to have them mentally prepared for the game.

Are we prepared to match them on the field tho? I certainly think so. I thought we played pretty poorly against Laois. Wasted a lot of chances, altho it was a blustery day, but yet we still beat them comfortably. We really havent played well for a full 70 minutes yet, actually, no, the league final was fairly much consistent all the way through. But generally this year, we have started poorly, or else just lulled out of games (ie Down, Meath, Leitrim etc) If we are to beat Dublin, we really need to hit the grond running and not stop until the game is over. They wont afford us the luxuries that Meath did.

Midfield is the key area IMO. If we can break even here, and pickup the loose ball like the last day, then we are on the right track. If Dublin dominate tho like the first half Meath performance, then we will be in big trouble, as that will expose the other liable area, in full back. Wallace is a super player, and has been one of our best for the last 10 years, but pace doesnt suit him, and if Dublin drag him out of in front of the goal and into open space, it will be a problem. If they do like Meath and lump in big balls on top of him, he’ll clean up and there’ll be no issues. Should there be a need for change, I’d imagine Malone will slot into full back.

Our forwards are good, and do not get the recognition they deserve. Matty is the ‘superstar’ of the team, and gets all the limelight. Maybe its a good thing in a way, as the other players just get on with their games and do as solid or better jobs at times. Red is one of the most underrated footballers around. Let Dublin worry about Matty, and leave the other lads cause the problems.

Really getting in gear for this one, and I just hope we dont do like the last few semi finals and lose a game where we knew if we played to potential it was there for the taking. We can do this one lads, and after some of the performances form this team in the last few years, we know a full effort will be put in.

A TFK mole in the Wexford football camp told me we’re going to be unchanged for Sunday. It’s becoming a clich but it’s a 20-man game now! Seriously though, the likes of Rory Stafford, Shane Roche, David Walsh and Paddy Colfer could and probably will have a very important role to play from the bench.

Collie Moran’s DRA hearing is tonight. I wonder if he’ll get off? I reckon he has a chance to be honest.

Theres a good article for Wexicans in The Irish Post about the game this weekend.

Moran is in the clear.

I expected Moran to be cleared as I thought there was a reasonable amount of uncertainty associated with the incident. Moran had already committed to the shoulder before the lad was shunted from behind by McConnell, ended up falling forward and then Moran pretty much milled him. I thought the initial yellow card was sufficient at the time.

We’ve named an unchanged line-up and the Dublin team announced last night was nearly a replica of the one predicted by NCC on here. The only difference is Kevin Bonner in at half forward instead of Flynn. The young lad Nolan was named at wing back but Moran could be back in there.

Fucking Bonner, an utter disgrace of a human.

Bonner is probably best club footballer in dublin…wudn’t say there’s much going on upstairs though…I fully expect dublin to beat wexford by 7+ points…

I think we can safely say, there is na’er a fecking tap going on upstairs.

MBB…do u expect laois to beat longford? i saw one bookies goin 4/5…great price if Laois are in the mood …they shud win it…at least they seem to have picked a team of lads who want to be there instead of lads with miles on the clock who had to be coaxed back…

As do most dubs and hopefully their players. That’s what will make victory even sweeter.

Yea, the papers got this one badly wrong. Joe Higgins wasnt dropped, he pulled the hammy last Sunday training. Clancy is suspended, Meaney tore the hammy last Thursday against Cavan. Quigley is a huge doubt with an ankle injury, so we have John O Loughlin for midfield with one other. Hopefully Quigley recovers, if not we’re going with a rookie in there with him, and that could be dangerous.

Dont put the house on Laois, we should do it, even more so considering Longford are possibly in a worse state than us (they couldnt even get a team to play a challenge 2 weeks ago, only had 12 players to play the Rossies) but our lack of a midfield scares me.

Watch our for the name Donal Kingston this weekend though, that lad is going to set the world alight.

its not meant to be derogatory…its just taking into account things like experience,proven ability in leinster finals etc…surely the fact the dubs are going for 4th leinster title in a row does carry some weight…sometimes teams that are on the brink of creating history like wexford are get caught up in the occasion as opposed to the actual match…

True Scumpot-and I didn’t take it as derogatory.
Dublin are coming up against a team, for the first time in the last 4 finals, that are totally full of confidence, can match them for fitness, have players on the line that can do a job and are unbeaten in major competitions.
Wexford should have beaten Dublin in Croker a couple of years ago but fitness killed us in the last 10 minutes. That was before a full house in croker so the crowd won’t daunt them (thrown fireworks might alright).
The fact, as you say, they are on the brink of history and playing in the final might catch them is true-but hopefully it won’t.

[quote=“Pikeman”]
Dublin are coming up against a team, for the first time in the last 4 finals, that are totally full of confidence[/quote]

Ah we gave them a contest in 2005, Offlay were poor in 2006 granted, we put it up to them for 35 mins last year, but those fucking goals before half time killed us. Not too many unbeaten sides in GAA anymore, so fair play to Wexford for that, but it was Div 3, and needs to be put into that context irregardless of how well Div 3 teams have donet his year so far.

Not meaning to piss on your cornetto or anything.

Leinster Senior Football Championship 2005
Game Date Venue Winner Score Runner-Up Score
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 7 Pirc Tailteann, Navan Offaly 1-15 Louth 1-6
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 15 Croke Park, Dublin Kildare 1-17 Wicklow 2-12
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 15 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 2-23 Longford 0-10
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final May 29 Croke Park, Dublin Kildare 0-14 Westmeath 0-11
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final May 29 Croke Park, Dublin Laois 1-10 Offaly 1-8
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final June 5 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 1-12 Meath 1-10
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final June 5 Croke Park, Dublin Wexford 3-12 Carlow 2-13
Leinster SFC
Semi-Final June 19 Croke Park, Dublin Laois 0-21 Kildare 0-9
Leinster SFC
Semi-Final June 19 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 1-17 Wexford 2-10
Leinster SFC
Final July 17 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 0-14 Laois 0-13

[quote=“myboyblue”]Ah we gave them a contest in 2005, Offlay were poor in 2006 granted, we put it up to them for 35 mins last year, but those fucking goals before half time killed us. Not too many unbeaten sides in GAA anymore, so fair play to Wexford for that, but it was Div 3, and needs to be put into that context irregardless of how well Div 3 teams have donet his year so far.

Not meaning to piss on your cornetto or anything.

Leinster Senior Football Championship 2005
Game Date Venue Winner Score Runner-Up Score
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 7 Pirc Tailteann, Navan Offaly 1-15 Louth 1-6
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 15 Croke Park, Dublin Kildare 1-17 Wicklow 2-12
Leinster SFC
1st Round May 15 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 2-23 Longford 0-10
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final May 29 Croke Park, Dublin Kildare 0-14 Westmeath 0-11
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final May 29 Croke Park, Dublin Laois 1-10 Offaly 1-8
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final June 5 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 1-12 Meath 1-10
Leinster SFC
Quarter-Final June 5 Croke Park, Dublin Wexford 3-12 Carlow 2-13
Leinster SFC
Semi-Final June 19 Croke Park, Dublin Laois 0-21 Kildare 0-9
Leinster SFC
Semi-Final June 19 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 1-17 Wexford 2-10
Leinster SFC
Final July 17 Croke Park, Dublin Dublin 0-14 Laois 0-13[/quote]

You only took a segment of my quote there MBB.
Laois were full of confidence of course and probably the fitness in 2005 but they didn’t have the players on the line or the unbeaten record as the total package.
You laugh off that it was Div 3 and then disregard how well teams from that group have done. Why disregard that fact?
Plus we’ve beaten Meath (only team capable of putting it up to the Dubs apparently) and your own county.
Not meaning to piss on your mars ice cream or anything :wink: