Wexford GAA 2008

Bollix to that then. We will probably end playing in Clones or somewhere like that

Howlin had a bit of a hamstring problem, and otherwise was ineffective anyway. Altho the ref punished him a couple of times for very soft frees and he was limited going into ariel battles then. He hasnt had a full year of leauge and training behind him, and was out of county action for a number of years, so hopefully next year he’ll be flying, because we need a big midfielder who can play. we are lacking them in the ocunty in general, and what we have is what is there available, and we wont go far on performances like yesterday. Red is sometimes curtailed by being on the wing, so having Eric in the middle isnt a bad thing. As Mac said, should have crowded out the middle. Put banville on the wing and let Red roam free.

Hopefully the lads can redeem themselves anyway.

The ref done us yesterday too.

[quote=“Gman”]

The ref done us yesterday too.[/quote]

Not that it made a difference in the end but he gave some awful soft frees to the dubs. You couldn’t look sideways at a player and he’d blow the whistle.

We were robbed

How about a team something like this for the next day?

Masterson
Muttley, Walsh, Malone
Morrisey, Murphy, Morris

Howlin, Colfer

Roche, Bradley, Banville
Red, Matty, Lyng

Red to play as an extra midfielder leaving a two man inside forward line. Not sure if Walsh is up to playing fullback but at least he wouldn’t be a slow as Wallace. Alternatively Bradley could go to midfield and colfer into the corner with red reverting to the centre. Either way i think Jason needs to shake things up a bit

Well what can i say, what can we say. Was so hard to stomach. Feel like shite in work here today. God, why do i love Wexford gaa so much? I’m trying to tell myself that it was just the pressure of being in a finaal after so long that got us, but my mind is saying shut up gavin, we’re just no good, but i’m not defeating myself to say that. but i will say that i fear for wexford football, and maybe wexford gaa in general. Kids going to support wexford must be as sick as we are at this stage of being beaten in both codes. I just hope we come out the next day with a bit of fight and show that were really not that bad.

Anyway to the match. Was a disaster. Jason Ryan has done fantastic work but have to say he bottled it yesterday. How on earth he looked at wallace, flynn and banville for son long i’ll never know. Wallaces time is up, has been since meath game and he’s still there. Flynn, couldn’t stand the sight of him yesterday, pulling out of tackles all day long, has made no impact all season despite his early promise last year. Banville too, just didn’t look like he wanted to play. I’m not one for criticizing managers as i do believe they have a really tough job but really, he should have made changes and made them fast. What was the point in bringing on shane roche, who unlike flynn has made an impact in games he’s played, with ten minutes to go? I would’ve thought the obvious thing to do was to bring him on for boccy early on, move bradley out and then red centre forward, or even just a straight swap for flynn. Everything just went badly wrong yesterday, lads couldn’y even hold the ball in the second half.

What would the team be next day? Serious changes needed.

Call me crazy but I’d retain Wallace the next day. I dont know why but its just one of these “feelings” us Wexford people get. I’d go with:

Masterson

Walsh, Wallace, Malone
Morrissey, Murphy, Morris

Howlin, Bradley

Deeley, Red, Roche
Lyng, Banville, Forde

Your crazy

1.Masterson
2.C.Morris
3.D.Murphy
4.B.Malone
5.G.Sunderland
6.A.Morrisey
7.N.Murphy
8.E.Bradley
9.R.Barry
10.C.Deely
11.P.Colfer
12.S.Roche
13.C.Lyng
14.PJ.Banville
15.M.Forde

Was looking at Deely in warm up, fair enough no pressure bla bla bla but by god can he still kick fine points, big sky scrapers, love them!

[quote=“Gavin”]1.Masterson
2.C.Morris
3.D.Murphy
4.B.Malone
5.G.Sunderland
6.A.Morrisey
7.N.Murphy
8.E.Bradley
9.R.Barry
10.C.Deely
11.P.Colfer
12.S.Roche
13.C.Lyng
14.PJ.Banville
15.M.Forde

Was looking at Deely in warm up, fair enough no pressure bla bla bla but by god can he still kick fine points, big sky scrapers, love them![/quote]

If Deeley is fit he is defiantly an option gavin. I still think we need a big man around the middle of the park ala Howlin/Boccy, maybe red played as third midfielder acting as linkman and hovering up the breaks? Not sure about Sunderland either, just a bit loose for this level. Either way the teams needs to be shaken up a bit

[quote=“Gavin”]

Was looking at Deely in warm up, fair enough no pressure bla bla bla but by god can he still kick fine points, big sky scrapers, love them![/quote]

I wouldnt pick him for his scoring ability, I’d pick him for his work rate. I’ll never forget that rainy miserable day in Clones when we beat Monaghan when he tore into them and never stopped running for the full 70 mins. Covered every blade of grass on the pitch and turned over so much possession.

Rumour is now that the hurling is a double header in Thurles next Sunday.

lads, we’ve lost the first game of the year. Gavin, calling for 10 changes to the team that started yesterday is completely unrealistic. You were having a go at Bandage when he was taking the pi$$ about sacking myler, yet you are here giving out about Ryan and calling for wholsale changes to the team? Morrisey isnt a centre back. Murphy is definately not a full back. Sunderland has been out of form for a long while now. Did you not see hwat happened against Meath when Bradley and Stafford were midfield. How would Red instead of Stafford make our fielding ability better? Its big lads we need, not small. Red for a roaming role alright, but not starting midfield. Would be interested to see Deeley get a run. but he hasnt started in over a year, can hardly expect him to start now.

granted, yesterday was bad, but no need to be going mental and thinking its the end of the world. I fear for Wexford football? fooksake, when I was growing up we’d be lucky if Longford, Carlow or Wicklow didnt beat us, year after year of losing to shite teams. We won the league this year beating Fermanagh and got to a leinster final for the first time in donkeys years.

and the ref done us yesterday too.

hopefully as i cant see there being more than 35000 in croker while i would asy there would be 45000 easily at thurles…i would wonder about the number of wexford supporters what with big numbers of them heading to croker yesterday…

[quote=“Gavin”]1.Masterson
2.C.Morris
3.D.Murphy
4.B.Malone
5.G.Sunderland
6.A.Morrisey
7.N.Murphy
8.E.Bradley
9.R.Barry
10.C.Deely
11.P.Colfer
12.S.Roche
13.C.Lyng
14.PJ.Banville
15.M.Forde
[/quote]
Sunderland? Sunderland?
Have you seen any of his previous games?
Not good enough. Unless he’s your brother?
You couldn’t put Murphy in Full back.
I’d give the lads another go at redeeming themselves.
At least we’re not playing the Dubs next so the Ref can’t rob us

Is that intended as a cracking joke? Fucking kudos if it was.

Got this from AFR:

12.15pm minor quarter final: Galway v Wexford.
2pm senior quarter final: Waterford v Wexford.
4pm senior quarter final Clare v Cork.
this is the fixtures list for Sunday. Thurles is the venue

it makes the most sense in fairness…how long of a hike would it be from wexford roughly lads…grand and handy for clare cork and waterford anyway…

2 and a bit hours from Enniscorthy along the worst road in Ireland. I’ll probably be travelling from Dublin so might jump on a train or something. Would prefer to see it in Croker but I’d be biased since I’m living up here!

Gutted yesterday really.

We were bad, terribly bad, and they ruthlessly ripped us apart.

I dont think any of our players played up to standard although I thought Morris, Barry and Forde were decent at times.

They raised the tempo after half time and we couldn’t live with it and they dominated the exchanges between the two '45s and snaffled up all the breaks, if they hadn’t already won possession cleanly in the air.

When our midfield was so obviously struggling it placed even more pressure on a defence that was at breaking point and they were coming at us in waves and the movement of their forwards was very good. That said our backs were still too loose and we were standing yards off them at times.

We panicked then when they pushed out to 7 or 8 points up and our gameplan and composure went out the window. The option taking was piss poor and we were trying to force the pass or taking to much out of the ball and generally just fooking up. And they invariably punished us when they turned over the ball.

We should have made more changes and made them earlier but it would obviously have been beyond us no matter what we did. We needed extra bodies in the middle third instead of a 3-man full forward line and I would have dropped Red Barry back and pulled Forde out to centre forward as he was starved of ball inside. Shane Roche could have been used earlier too.

I expect a defeat like that to be shattering for the players and I wouldn’t hold out much hope for us in the qualifiers. It’ll be a tough task for Ryan to raise morale but at least we have a 2-week period to lift ourselves. Despite our league success and good wins against Meath and Laois, our season will ultimately be judged on that capitulation yesterday. In that respect, it’d be super to show some character and come back and beat some fooks in the qualifier.

PS: I can’t believe Farmer came on this thread last night to gloat and ended up sulking and getting offended again. Tall tool!

PPS: No insults can make us Wexicans feel worse than we already do I imagine. Fire away anyway though!