Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Mac”]We never seem to be able to beat them Limerick wannabes. Would be interested to see who the full back line was. Gavin if your reading, were you at it? When was the last time we scored 21 points in a game?

[/quote]

Gavin, if you’re reading this, when was the last time wexford conceded 23 points in a football match ?

A strange comment to make considering I had the team exactly as it lined out yet again.

[quote=“Bandage”]A strange comment to make considering I had the team exactly as it lined out yet again.

[/quote]

and a fine team they are bandage.

you must be hoping for another crack at the dubs if you get over the qualifier (big if i know)

I’d forgotten about des mythen until i saw the thead on aFR about players who have fallen off the edge of the world, is he still injured or are oulart not letting him out to play anymore

I remember there was a lad on the wexford team that beat kilkenny in 04…pretty sure he played wing forward and was a sub goalie under age also…a smallish lad…

You thinking of Paul Carley there Puke?

thats the very man…

Carley was indeed wing forward in 2004 when we won Leinster. He was a very good 'keeper as a kid and would have played in goal for us at minor level around 1998. He was on the team again in 2005. I can’t recall if he played in 2006 but he wasn’t around this season or last year. I believe he simply had other things on his plate and wasn’t able to commit to the demands of inter-county hurling.

art, Mythen’s had chronic injury problems - I think it’s groin related but it might be hamstring too. I’m not sure how motivated he is to play county as he’s usually able to tog out for Oulart every October and November when we finally get around to playing some club championship games!

Looking forward to sunday now, gonna be very tough with a fired up davey fitz and waterford. My team would be:

1.Fitzy
2.Mal
3.DOC
4.Roche
5.M.Jacob
6.Stamp
7.C.Farrell(strangley enough)
8.D.Redmond
9.Quigley
10.PJ.Nolan
11.S.Nolan
12.Gizzy
13.Lambert
14.Banville
15.R.Jacob

When the going gets tough think S.Doyle goes into hiding too much. As regards to des mythen lads, he’s a pounce, i’ve never seen a lad stretch and rub the backs of his legs so much in a game. It’s all in his head these injuries. I remember i heard a story one year and he was training in oulart and got a little belt on the knee, when no one asked was he ok, he went over to the side of the pitch, hopped over the fence and went home, that for me, says enough.

I’d go for:
Fitzhenry;
Travers; O’Connor; Roche;
M Jacob; Stamp; Doran;
Redmond; Lyng;
PJ Nolan; Quigley; S Nolan;
S Doyle; Banville; R Jacob;

Willie Doran back into the half back line to add a bit of physicality as they’ll have Shanahan and Prendergast out there. PJ Nolan and Stephen Doyle retained in the forward line because Waterford looked loose last week and these lads can pick off points despite being windy enough at times. Banville to get his arse in the way and Doyle and Jacob to play off him. We’ve no strength in depth though and don’t really have anyone of note to bring on other than Lambert.

I’d be more in favour of Bandsages set up alright, Quigley needs to be back at centre forward. our best player in the league and making good runs from there, so come championship, lets play him midfield, and have both midfield and centre forward positions playing below average. doesnt make sense. Dont think we’ll be winning, but who knows against waterford. have a slight chance if things go our way, but not much.

Are ye as confident this week as ye were before the Leinster Football final ?

I was.

Not so much now having heard a rumour what the team is.

We have never lost in the championship to Waterford.

We have never lost a championship game in Thurles.

We can still do it.

Yeah bandage set up good too, i just wouldn’t start pj nolan, lovely hurler but he’s a bit like adrian flynn on football team, won’t get stuck in. Love if he’s to prove me wrong though.
Everyone here heading to the game i’m presuming?? Hopefully good support be there, it’s tough though, was just thinking on championship alone this year wexford supporters probably have spent easily over 350…
Feck the players getting paid, what about the supporters??!!

[quote=“Gavin”]Yeah bandage set up good too, i just wouldn’t start pj nolan, lovely hurler but he’s a bit like adrian flynn on football team, won’t get stuck in. Love if he’s to prove me wrong though.
Everyone here heading to the game i’m presuming?? Hopefully good support be there, it’s tough though, was just thinking on championship alone this year wexford supporters probably have spent easily over 350…
Feck the players getting paid, what about the supporters??!![/quote]

yeah wouldnt be sure of PJ alright, but he can take some nice scores.

not sure if I’ll head, as you say, money is being spent a lot at this stage and driving up with a load each time from Wexford doesnt help. Paying for partners/kids in too can be a stretch for people as well. Last week it cost me the guts of 200 for me and the woman between tickets, food there, food on way home, petrol. As well as leaving at 10am and not arriving home until 9pm its a long expensive day (made worse when you get absolutely hammered in the game then!). I suppose we should be grateful tho that we are able to see our teams playing tho. Many counties are already out for the season.

Yep, I’ll be heading along but I expect our support to be very, very small. Our hurling support was terrible for the Leinster Final and it seemed people had prioritised going to the football final instead and were enthralled by the prospect of a full house against Dublin. After a narrow and unlucky defeat last Sunday, I reckon frustration and disillusionment will have set in and we’ll bring far less than the other competing counties. I’m actually looking forward to a pint or two down there as the other 3 counties are from Munster and the natives down there talk funny.

Yeah to be honest i wouldn’t have it any other way, nothing better than going away on the weekends to watch Wexford play. Despite the hammerings i still wouldn’t change it for anything. Programme for sunday was 5, nearly choked on my ballygowan when the man said it. Getting more expensive by the game, never mind the year.

It’s on the box aswell isn’t it, going to make it even more smaller. We always seem to do well when little show up though! Happened with offaly vs limerick too!

yup, but it makes those games for those there all the better. Tipp last year, against Limerick in 01, KK in 04, those flash in the pan wins that we throw out now and then to remind people we are still here!

[quote=“Bandage”]I was.

Not so much now having heard a rumour what the team is.

We have never lost in the championship to Waterford.

We have never lost a championship game in Thurles.

We can still do it.[/quote]

Whats the rumour of a team that you heard? obviously differs from your suggestion which it seems has support of the TKF faithful?