Wexford GAA 2008

One of the lads on here sent me a private mail with what his sources told him the team was but he didn’t want to post it in the public domain. I was a bit shocked with it and checked with my own sources and they confirmed it was the exact same as the team provided to me earlier by the anonymous indivual.

It was Pikeman!

I have no problem posting it but any Blaas reading should be advised that this could be a ruse also. The team is:

Fitzhenry;
Travers; O’Connor; Roche;
M Jacob; Stamp; Farrell;
Redmond; Quigley;
S Doyle; Doran; Lyng;
Lambert; Banville; R Jacob;

I think there’s a lot wrong with it to be honest. Tony Browne’s not as speedy as he was and he’d prefer a physical battle with Doran much, much more than Quigley’s pace and energy running at him. Colm Farrell’s a hardworking young hurler but it’s too soon for him and he has no intercounty experience playing wing back and will be up against a far more physical player in Shanahan - that was why I wanted Doran or even Lyng back there as both these lads are decent in the air. So we’ve got Farrell in, Quigley in a position where he can’t do his best work and a few other things too that don’t inspire confidence. Lambert’s back in training that little bit longer than Stephen Nolan, hence the latter’s only on the bench. I think Meyler’s tactically inept if he starts those personnel in that formation given who some of them will be directly opposing.

[quote=“Bandage”]One of the lads on here sent me a private mail with what his sources told him the team was but he didn’t want to post it in the public domain. I was a bit shocked with it and checked with my own sources and they confirmed it was the exact same as the team provided to me earlier by the anonymous indivual.

It was Pikeman!

I have no problem posting it but any Blaas reading should be advised that this could be a ruse also. The team is:

Fitzhenry;
M Jacob; Stamp; Farrell;
Redmond; Quigley;
S Doyle; Doran; Lyng;
Lambert; Banville; R Jacob;

I think there’s a lot wrong with it to be honest. Tony Browne’s not as speedy as he was and he’d prefer a physical battle with Doran much, much more than Quigley’s pace and energy running at him. Colm Farrell’s a hardworking young hurler but it’s too soon for him and he has no intercounty experience playing wing back and will be up against a far more physical player in Shanahan - that was why I wanted Doran or even Lyng back there as both these lads are decent in the air. So we’ve got Farrell in, Quigley in a position where he can’t do his best work and a few other things too that don’t inspire confidence. Lambert’s back in training that little bit longer than Stephen Nolan, hence the latter’s only on the bench. I think Meyler’s tactically inept if he starts those personnel in that formation given who some of them will be directly opposing.[/quote]

Personally i cant face watching Wexford again, still smarting from the two Leinster final hammerings.

Too see whats wrong with Wexford hurling at the moment all you have to do is look at the full back and full forward positions.

ladbrokes have wexford at 9/2 - too big a price for me to let pass by

What vibes are Wexicans getting from friends and family in terms of who’s bothering to go on Sunday? I sense an awful lot of disillusionment to be honest and my straw poll shows that: out of 7 of us who were at the game together last week, 4 are going on Sunday. That’s probably not a bad ratio comparatively. I’m not backing us at 9/2 based on the apparent team that’s been selected but if a different one emerges from the tunnel on Sunday, and it’s more to my liking, then I’ll get on the phone to dial a bet. I don’t fear Waterford at all but I don’t think we’ll beat them either as things stand now. We’ll also need to see how our players act to the high-pitched squealing and screeching from that little arsehole who’s now managing Waterford.

Having spent the last week in Wexford I can honestly say people are completed pissed off with the recent hammerings .Its hard to blame them.I’ll go on Sunday but don’t hold out much hope.I only hope for passion and a bit of pride in a jersey which frankly has been fooking humiliated these last couple of weeks.

Up Wexford to hell with the rest!

The latest news from Wexford is that Barry Lambert’s not going to be risked from the start so PJ Nolan will come back in at half foward with Stephen Doyle going into the corner. Updated alleged team:

Fitzhenry;
M Jacob; Stamp; Farrell
Quigley; Redmond;
PJ Nolan; Doran; Lyng;
S Doyle; Banville; R Jacob;

Waterford Team:

Hennessy; Pender; Mac; Murphy; Kennedy; Tony; Sullivan; Brick; Nagle; Kelly; Pender; Molumphy;Mullane; Dan; E Mac.

Half forward line will tower over wexford and this line is the winning of it for us. Also without Rossi wex will struggle to hold, Mullane & co inside…

Dise by 4.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]Waterford Team:

Hennessy; Pender; Mac; Murphy; Kennedy; Tony; Sullivan; Brick; Nagle; Dan; Hurney; Pender; Mull; Kelly; E Mac.

Half forward line will tower over wexford and this line is the winning of it for us. Also without Rossi wex will struggle to hold, Kelly & co inside…

Dise by 4.[/quote]

That’s why I was advocating more pysicality and aerial ability in our half back line earlier on this thread. I also think Eoin Quigley would trouble Tony Browne but he’s going to be playing midfield. As it stands, I agree with your call of a Waterford win by around that margin, or maybe a point or two more, but I think we’d have a strong chance if our team was set out better.

Where’s Aidan Kearney these days by the way?

Kearney burst his appendix the night after the Clare munster championship match, only back training a couple of weeks, but coming back into contention now…

You thoughts on Quigley are spot on Bandage… he scored 1-2 in the wexico leage win in feb while wearing #11, and his direct runnnig caused waterford problems all day.

One of our hurlers got injured last night in training and is on crutches. He is due to start in an area where we don’t have any depth and was spotted going into White’s Hotel this morning by a source close to TFK. He using that cyrotherapy chamber thingy down there to try get himself fit.

There were two underage county finals in Wexford Park last night and beforehand Jason Ryan had 7 Wexford footballers going through their paces. I believe these were 7 players who weren’t involved in midweek club games. Gavin Morris, the sub-keeper, was taking kick-outs and walking out to midfield, picking the ball up, heading back and then repeating the procedure again. The other 6 lads - Banville, Lyng, Hanrahan, D Murphy, Barry and Brilly - were involved in a handpassing exercise that seemed pretty pointless and then they finished up. Jason appeared on The Road To Croker in Sixmilebridge, which was televised last night. The programme’s filmed on Wednesdays though and there was a lot of Wexford club games he could have been at. It’s time to end all the media nights, Wexford racecourse appearances, Rosslare Arts Festival openings, TV and radion interviews that in retrospect sidetracked our Leinster Final preparations.

Funny incident related to the underage finals - the first final went to extra-time and the second game scheduled to begin at 7.45pm didn’t start until 8.30pm. And the second game was hurling and the light was fading fast. Anyway, 12 minutes into the second half the ref abandoned the game with Davidstown 10 points up on St James. Davidstown had lost to St James in the group stages and naturally went apeshit. Great organisation as always within Wexford GAA.

[quote=“padjo”]Personally i cant face watching Wexford again, still smarting from the two Leinster final hammerings.

Too see whats wrong with Wexford hurling at the moment all you have to do is look at the full back and full forward positions.[/quote]

Jesus Pa you’re a disgrace to depression. Boo Hoo Hoo as if Leinster Titles are anything to miss out on. FFS They’re more predictable than the Angelus.

And if you haven’t noticed; The blahs 1 - 4 are no prizewinners either

And I think yere gonna do them. Wexford are Waterfords banana skin.

Right bhoys and ghirls, team selection and injury issues aside, I’ve just come over all positive ahead of Sunday. In fairness, the day I start to fear Waterford is the day I drunkenly end up at a 4.35am house party in Ballbeg. There was a large media presence at Waterford training last night ahead of their team announcement and Davy had the players in the dressing room and was bating hurleys off the wall and firing cups and stuff around. The lad’s a loop the loop and I’m not sure how the Waterford lads are responding to him either. Wexford will have our cliched ‘kick’ after the Kilkenny hiding and we’ll definitely give them a game.

I see Meyler’s son is now a Sunderland player.

Was the team announced or is that happenening tonight?

Wexford just completed the first of two victories for the county in Thurles this weekend.

The reigning All Ireland champion camogie birds won a critical game against Tipperary by 3-8 to 2-8 to stay in the championship and all but seal their place in the last 4.

Gwan Wexford!

I hear stamp went over on his ankle friday night and is 50/50 same as doc.
Not good all these injuries.
Just home from the pub(had to leave cause my ma started singing wexford songs and embarrased the shite out of me, she’s woeful bad at the singing)
Some know-it-alls at the pub saying we’d win by 5 or 6, wishful fucking thinking. Would to anything to get a victory tomorrow, i mean anything.

Gwan Wexford!

Just a quick post on today before The Sunday Game.

Pretty galling to lose by a point given the margins were so small and it could have gone either way. I’m not going to go overboard in praising the lads for the committed performance either, as spirit and determination is the absolute minimum they should put into every game.

In fairness, it’s only been Kilkenny and Cork that we simply have been unable to match in recent years (and Clare too now that I think about it) but we’re well capable of competing with anyone else.

What was encouraging was the method in our play and use of the ball. The movement of the forwards was excellent, especially Stephen Doyle, and we hurled intelligently for the most part. Given the players we were missing through injury and unavailability there’s definitely the basis to improve next year. We need a fully organised set-up with total commitment though.

You can look back at sloppy wides in the first half, the fact it was a shitty decision to award a free for Kelly’s goal and the fact the ref only played 1-minute injury time despite a good few stoppages and substitutions but I suppose they’ll argue Doran’s goal was in the square.

Don’t get me started on the minor management after the shambolic ending today!

[quote=“Bandage”]Wexford just completed the first of two victories for the county in Thurles this weekend.

The reigning All Ireland champion camogie birds won a critical game against Tipperary by 3-8 to 2-8 to stay in the championship and all but seal their place in the last 4.

Gwan Wexford![/quote]

jeez ye gave tipp plenty of it alright, some poor goalkeeping on show. although fitzhenry wouldnt have saved that tipp lassies penalty

Watched a re-run of the match earlier after catching an earlier train back. We’ve the nucleus of a decent team but I think a change to the management and a few fresh faces would be good.

Gutted to lose to them blaa munchin, crest kissin, fist pumpin, hyped up, jumped up, dirty tinkers and their loopy leprechaun of a manager.

If only the penalty had been half a foot lower.

Still, its the first time we’ve exited the championship with pride since 1998 I think.

Kellys goal shouldnt have been a free but I’d be fairly sure our second goal was a square ball.

One other thing - we ended the match with:

Rory Jacob in Midfield
Keith Rossiter in Midfield
Barry Lambert at Full Forward

Am I the only one that thinks that is wrong?