Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Gavin”]I think Masterson will get a nomination for an all star…Who else has stood out bar Cluxton(he hasn’t even in my view, but its a cert hel’ll be there, hasn’t really been tested as such)sound like cyril farrell there…?? Fair enough Masterson has conceded a few but he’s made some fine saves and always comes into general play when needed and uses the ball well.

Anyone else think this???[/quote]

Didnt Masterson make a few decent saves against Meath that kept us in the game? Or am I thinking of another game?

No - don’t agree with that. Would Wexford have beaten Galway? I don’t think so. But I suppose it’s about opinions. Whatever way you look at it Wexford are in the semis and have to be taken seriously.

Brolly is some utter wankstain. He spent the entire time after the Wexford game talking about Armagh when the day was about Wexford. I actually don’t like giving him any sort of mention because this is the sort of stuff the likes of him, O’Rourke and Spillane revel in - being controversial. What absolute cunts the lot of them.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]No - don’t agree with that. Would Wexford have beaten Galway? I don’t think so. But I suppose it’s about opinions. Whatever way you look at it Wexford are in the semis and have to be taken seriously.

Brolly is some utter wankstain. He spent the entire time after the Wexford game talking about Armagh when the day was about Wexford. I actually don’t like giving him any sort of mention because this is the sort of stuff the likes of him, O’Rourke and Spillane revel in - being controversial. What absolute cunts the lot of them.[/quote]

farmer - we might finally agree on something. did ye see the look on brollys face at the end of the game when lyster said he wouldnt bet against wexford getting to the final or winning it. lyster was obviously making up for the mess he made of himself last week but brolly was like a little sly fook and just talked about how it was the end of armagh and how they threw the game away.

he’s an annoying cunt and himself and colm o’rourke are actually 2 of the worst analysts rte have at the moment. moan and groan this and we’re bitter bastards that. if it had been derry or meath who beat armagh on saturday we’d never hear the end of it.

the lads on the sunday game last night were worse. kevin “i always give wexford credit even though i never do really” mcstay, coman “i’m clueless and a cunt” goggins and bernard “i’m even more bitter than o’rourke” flynn. top this off with the tool presenting it and you probably have the greatest collection of cunts that ever graced the tv screen.

Tohill is by far and away the best analyst they have. He seems to be actually interested in analysing the game without trying to look smart and controversial and generally talks a lot of sense. You often see him with a puzzled look when Spillane throws an outlandish statement at him like ‘I’d really like to tell this guy how much of a cunt he is but I can’t because I’m on telly’.

I don’t mind Lyster as a presenter either but words can’t actually express how much I hate the rest of them.

Farmer, we’ll disagree on Armagh/Galway as it’s a matter of personal opinion. But despite this, I don’t think any sane individual would disagree that Wexford (coming from Division 4 less than a decade ago) beating Armagh (7 Ulster titles in 10 years) is worthy of praise. Yet they begrudged Wexford their victory. Meanwhile, they have a collective wankfest over Kerry (more All Ireland wins than I’ve had late night kebabs) beating Galway, which was thoroughly expected. Now I know the manner of Kerry’s victory was excellent and they thoroughly deserved the plaudits but Wexford powering home and outscoring Armagh 1-5 to 0-1 in the last 10 minutes and doing so with conviction and wonderful scores is surely worthy of congratulations too. I’m just pointing out their inconsistency and, in O’Rourke’s case, bitterness. I don’t think Colm has accepted his own county losing 5 games in succession to us. I have a message for him: Get It Right Fooking Up You (GIRFUY for short). But still it’s more funny than annoying.

Super win for Wexford, I had a feeling they might do it. People were tipping Armagh purely on reputation.

It was a difficult first half for Wexford but they managed to see it out with little damage done on the scoreboard. Overall Armagh were getting much more possession but they didnt do anything with it and that was where they lost the game. Hearty’s kickouts were generally resulting in Armagh picking up the breaking ball through ORourke. Wexford were also giving away a lot of cheap ball.

Armagh should have been about five points up at half time. McDonnell was quite profligate all through and Clarke was the only one who was doing the business for them. Couldnt believe Colm ORourkes comment at half-time when he said that Armagh were putting Wexford away when they so clearly werent.

Wexford lived on scraps in the first half and their forwards made little headway. Only Banville of the full forward line was having any joy and I thought Barry was finding it very difficult. But they rode the storm. Collie Byrne though picked up a mountain of ball and was always available. I thought he had a superb game. Anthony Masterson was Wexfords first line of attack. He picked out Wexford men beautifully with his kickouts and Armagh never got to grips with this.

I thought Wexford would win it at half time if they got their forward line firing to any extent in the second half They did that and then some. Forde obviously roasted Francie Bellew in the last 10 minutes, while the midfield really stepped up and started to win the breaking ball. Along with the continued success of Mastersons kickouts, it meant they had the clear edge in possession. The support play throughout the team was excellent. They may have had an edge in fitness also.

I dont want to rain on the parade but Id be worried for Wexford going into the semi-final , and they may find their find their true level that day. Against Armagh they got it spot on tactically but theyll need a different set of tactics the next day if its against Dublin. Employing a sweeper is fine when youre playing against a team with such a limited threat up front but against a team like Dublin or Kerry who have scoring threats from all over the pitch it is totally different. Wexford have a lot of good players but they also have some limited footballers and it wont be enough. But still, its been a fine year for them whatever happens.

I’m finding myself agreeing with most of sidney’s posts on football, which is frustrating for me given I’m an argumentative fook. We’ve played the same way twice in succession now and Dublin will know what to expect. But I think Meath and Dublin proved that our full back line needs protection so we have to adopt some method whereby they’ll get it. Funny to post this after conceding 3-23 to Dublin, but I think that was more to do with getting steamrollered and losing 8 individual battles from numbers 5-12 than the sheer quality of their forwards. We need to change the match-ups - for example, Boccy simply doesn’t have the legs to match Shane Ryan’s energy so Eric Bradley should mark him. But I’ll think more about it once we see who we’re playing!

As an aside, did anyone buy the Irish Independent today? I read their match report online but it doesn’t say who wrote it. I’d love to know who gave Eric Bradley a match rating of 6 given he was one of our best 2 or 3 players. Some of these clowns are hilarious.

[quote=“Bandage”]
As an aside, did anyone buy the Irish Independent today? I read their match report online but it doesn’t say who wrote it. I’d love to know who gave Eric Bradley a match rating of 6 given he was one of our best 2 or 3 players. Some of these clowns are hilarious.[/quote]

Think it was some lad called Donnchadh Boyle or something like that. Saw it in a shop earlier today.

he gave Bradley a 6? And he was by far the most dominant of the midfielders on the day, and arguably our best player? How do some of these clowns get jobs in the papers? Do they all have daddys with connections or what? I remember some gobshite a couple of years back talking about football stronholds in Wexford, mentioning Gusserane and Rosslare. The tool must have looked at a recent match program, and saw they both had 3 players on the panel so obviously they are the big footballing clubs. Idiots out there!

anyone like to comment on mattie forde’s behaviour to bellew after he got his scores?..just for consistency of course considering a few the Dubs were hammered for doing similar last year against laois…or do we now fully accept its one rule for one…

didnt realise nudging someone in the back was the same as taunting them and pointing at the scoreboard

come on it ws a bit more than that…nudging him, smiling into his face…i wud call that taunting…

That sullied the whole day for me unfortunately. How dare he smile and give someone a shoulder after taking hardship and punishment off the ball throughout the game. Do you want to comment on the quality of the scores or do you want to highlight Forde’s shocking behaviour a bit more? Funnily enough, most people I’ve spoken to about the game were talking about his point scoring and finish for the goal. They should get their priorities in order.

What Forde done on Saturday doesnt even come close to what the Dubs done last year. Trust me.

Ridiculous shit there poundage…thats not the topic i’m discussing so why would i go on about the points he kicked when its nothing to do with the point i’m raising?..he was subjected no more abuse than a few of the dublin lads but there hasn’t been the same media frenzy about his responses…thats my point…I’m not even arguing if its right or wrong to do what he was doing …its more that there’s no consistency…

Ah, that’s fair enough. As I said before cumspot, I disregard all bar a few GAA journalists so I don’t really give a shit if any of them lambast Forde for alleged goading or whatever. That said, you’d (plural use of the word ‘you’) have to be a pretty sad cunt if that’s the main thing you (plural use of the word ‘you’) took out of the game on Saturday.

Theres no consistency because it wasnt the same thing.

nobody did…thats my whole point…it was just something i myself noticed…i never said it was the main thing anyone took out of the game…its ridiculous of you to even suggest it…any follower of football would marvel at forde’s points kicking (as i have previously…I even remember asking you,probably on this thread, who did he give the exhibtion of points kicking against a few years back)…i was more highlighting how there’s a different reaction to a player’s actions depending on who he is and where he’s from…

his reactions dont deserve to be talked about. He nudged into bellews back and Bellew didnt react as he had been nudging and hitting Forde all game. Forde wasnt in his face smiling, he was smiling away from Bellew. It was a nothing incident. He didnt say anything to Bellew either when he nudged him.

And to say Forde gets a different reaction because of where he is from? That is shite. 3 years later and he is still answering questions from the media over the stamping incident in the Offaly game. He was hounded that year, and has been targeted since. Armagh people and all the last day calling him a dirty stamping bollix. His profile is the biggest on the wexford team and he is targeted by players and fans alike. And he nudged into the back of the player at him all game and you compare it to the goading of the Dublin players last year?

taunting is taunting…end of. either you class it as gamesmanship/sledging and let it go on or else ban it…but to come out publicly and slate one team for doing it is unfair…the great stevie from killeavy was also at it against fermanagh a few weeks back…