Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Menapian”]I was abroad for the Laois game and didn’t find a pub showing the game until the 2nd half. I know Parkinson was clear through and should have got a goal with about 10-15 mins left. Was Wallace bad for the first half?

Overall though, Wallace has had a good Championship.[/quote]

Wallace was shocking bad the whole game in that one.
Overall Wallace has done well enough since.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Wallace was shocking bad the whole game in that one.
Overall Wallace has done well enough since.[/quote]

yah, parkinson ran him into the ground, luckily he (parkinson) isn’t a team player or had some vision or we would have been in the shit

Or lucky that Parkinson had no help whatsoever.

there was at least 2 occasions where there wassomone inside who was better placed and free

That person was Paul Lawlor, do not confuse him with a footballer. that’d be like saying Wallace has pace .

I’m gagging for this game now. Any injury problems? I can’t wait for Ronan Fagan’s 128-page pull-out in The Echo next week and to read Tom Mooney’s articulate views on our prospects. I also hope Jimmy McDonald, Noel Holohan, Liam Spratt and Gerry Forde will provide us with their unique insights. Speaking of which, and I forgot to ask earlier, was it Noel Holohan legging it across the pitch with a huge Wexford flag after the Armagh game? I was laughing at whoever it was 'cos the stewards had prevented everyone from invading the pitch due to the imminent Galway-Kerry game and then yer man was legging it around with a big, giddy head on him. He was featured on telly too I believe. I think The People will probably go for their less is more policy due to the downright laziness and shoddy work ethic of Alan Aherne, Dixie Devereux and Brendan ‘Scoop’ Furlong. Either way, they’re Wexford heroes one and all. Up Wexford!

Will it be a seat in paradise next week or are you going to watch the Hun?

Poundage is wexferd emergence solely down to Jason ryan or is the previous manager Paul bealin due any credit? was he 3 years in charge or 2?..must surely have unearthed a few players in his time in charge…

pat roe deserves a good bit of credit , not so sure about bealin, I thought we went backwards a good bit under his stewardhip

JJ Barrett got things moving in the late 1990s but then decked Michael Curley and was forced to resign. Ger Halligan was one of his selectors and then came in but we couldn’t make the breakthrough at that stage for whatever reason even though we often did a Leitrim on it and ran good teams very close. Then we had a pretty hapless year with Dom Twomey in 2003. Despite getting promotion in the league we were kicked around Croke Park by Laois and then lost tamely to Derry in the qualifiers. The players used to call him ‘Dominator’ - cumspot, you probably know him from Dublin GAA circles.

Roe deserves credit for moving us onto the next level alright. When we beat Kildare in the championship in his first year, it was the first ‘name’ team we’d beaten in years in Leinster. He also took us to a league final but lost 2 provincial semi-finals. Overall, we went backwards with Bealin but it was funny enough in that his tenure saw 2 of the best performances from Wexford teams I can recall - hammering Meath in 2006 in the Leinster quarter and then beating Monaghan in Clones in the qualifiers. But we were relegated under him in his first year and regressed badly in the second year - capitulating in the second half against Laois in the Leinster semi and then losing to Fermanagh the week after. He was also some man for excuses and most of them were blatantly ridiculous.

It’s ironic enough in that Ryan only got the job because other more experienced managers turned it down. The perception out there was that Roe and Bealin had got the most out of what was available in Wexford and we weren’t going to get better. In fairness, we have some very good players and then a few weaker areas too but some of our better players are very good quality. That said Ryan has brought it all together and commanded the respect of the players straight away. He’s meant to be ultra-professional and detailed in terms of organisation, training programmes, tactics and pretty much everything to do with the team. The players would have seen some half-assed set ups so they’ve responded positively to him and have full faith and commitment in the management. I reckon we’re going to win the All Ireland.

mbb, I’ll be in Glasgow this weekend to welcome Shaun Maloney home but I’ll be in Dublin next weekend for the game. In between, I’ll be soaking up the pre-match atmosphere by spending the week in Wexford.

Looks like Noel to me anyway!

I don’t think he ever got over me beating him in the County U-12 doubles handball final in about 1993.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Looks like Noel to me anyway!

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/doylegate/noel.jpg[/quote]

That was class, I cant believe he didnt stick the flag in the centre of the field, he looked like he was going to, and then didnt. It woulda been a momentous occasion and one that would never be forgotten.

will d model county beat tyrone? delighted to see the dubs out pity it wasnt wexford who gave em dat hiding. bet they’d hand over the leinster title to be in wexfords position. i cant understand these RTE ‘experts’. wexford are in a all ireland semi final and they barely show any credit, if wexford win its always down to the other team playing crap.pissin me off. If ciaran lyng is on this ‘ciaran u owe me 5euro for that golf buggy a few weeks ago,get us a few goals against Tyrone and we’l be quits tho!’.

I thought that was Hooli alright who was on the pitch the last day. Said it to the boys there. He’s some lad to love his football, being from Rathnure and related to the legendary Jimmy Holohan. And his camogie reporting for south east radio!

looking forward to the warm up game sunday, before the main even the week after. Think Kerry will win, but they are stuttering a bit this year, and bar a great last 20 mins against Galway, havent really flowed as a unit like they did last year.

As for Wexford, think beating Tyrone is a possibility. They have the edge over nordie teams so far, but this will be a different one again. Tyrone were muck against Down, and against Mayo, so hopefully we’ll see that form rather than their form against Dublin.

I wouldnt be worried about what pundits say about us. Its performances and results that count, not what Joe Brolly or Colm O’Rourke or whoever say about us. Keep doing the job and I’ll be happy, let the media say what they like.

Just getting in the mood before this weekend’s game when we find out who we’ll be playing in the All-Ireland Final.

A simple message for the Tyrone boys…

That Ahern fella always struck me as a cunt of a journo. Never really knows what he’s writing about. Wouldn’t be fit to tie Tom Mooneys bootlaces if you ask me.

Am quietly confident about next Sunday. Dont want to get too carried away though to give farmer or NCC or dancingbaby anything to throw back in our face.

Bandage - coming back to your point about the players on the radio - its only a select few that do it and they only show up for an hour or so. They’re in Enniscorthy on Monday night and no players will be involved as Jason as taken them all back in. For the week of the semi final you won’t see that much of them so hopefully that’ll allow them to focus on the job in hand and not get caught up in all the hype. I’d say the atmosphere at home would be class at the moment.

You been crystal ball gazing mac? Hope your right!

Jaysus, hadnt noticed padjo - changed it now.

Well, that reassures me a bit. There’s obviously a difference between amateur and professional sport in that the latter are with each other as a squad every day and can be sheltered from external stuff. But I just thought we lost the run of ourselves before the Dublin game and the lads were fannying around making appearances at all sorts of crap. Like the Rosslare Art Festival for fook sake! Obviously GAA players live and work amongst the team’s supporters so they’re always going to get attention, especially given how well they’ve done, but they can enjoy all the attention from October onwards. It’s time to close ranks and focus solely on the game.