Wexford GAA 2008

€20 for an ice cream and a bus ride…fuck sake mac…there is a recession on like…

oh har de fucking har to both of yez - cunts

TFK - First For Breaking News

EXCLUSIVE

The All-Ireland Senior Camogie semi-finals scheduled to take place today in Nowlan Park have been postponed due to the inclement weather.

It’s believed there were concerns that the torrential rain would cause the ladies’ mascara to run into their eyes and affect their ability to strike the ball.

Some commentators were heard commenting that most of them can’t hit the ball anyway.

Check RTE.ie - again, we break the news first. And what a scoop it is. Women’s fooking passtimes.

Up Wexford!

Wexford v Tyrone it is

Tyrone looked very impressive today but i think we have a good chance of beating them. Come on the yella bellies!

They present quite a different challenge than Dublin and one that I think will better suit our style and the physique of our players. Tyrone defend in numbers but I don’t think they’re as powerful physically as Dublin. It was Dublin’s strength and power that won the middle third for them against us, and as a result, Forde and Lyng were starved of possession. I think we’ll be able to get a fair share of the ball against Tyrone and with forwards like ours then we have a chance. I suppose it’s easy to say Tyrone suit us better than Dublin after the Leinster Final though.

That was some performance by Tyrone. Lets hope thats they’re one good game of the summer out of the way now.

Paddy Power are offering 10/1 on a Wexford - Cork final. Licence to print money if you ask me.

Just been reading on the Wexford Supporters’ Site that South East Radio are broadcasting 2-hour specials from the 4 districts this week in front of live audiences and different players are appearing as guests depending on what area each show is being broadcast from. This concerns me as it’s pretty similar to the absolute shit the players got involved in before the Leinster Final.

[quote=“Mac”]That was some performance by Tyrone. Lets hope thats they’re one good game of the summer out of the way now.

Paddy Power are offering 10/1 on a Wexford - Cork final. Licence to print money if you ask me.[/quote]

keep that fiver in yer pocket Mac

So, how to beat Tyrone? I read some mong over on boards.ie complaining about their ‘puke football’ against Dublin when it was in fact more like ‘total football’. He tried to justify it by referencing a time when 4-men crowded around and dispossessed a Dublin attacker. There’s nothing wrong with defending in depth and then breaking forward as a team at serious pace and combining long foot passes, hand passes, support play and scoretaking from far out, close in and from all positions on the pitch. It was superb to watch and a quality advertisement for how to play football.

The sweeper system pretty much worked a treat against Armagh as they didn’t really have a scoring threat in their half forward line or in midfield. They relied almost exclusively on the long, diagonal into Clarke and McDonnell so a 3 vs 2 back there suited us. Tyrone are a different proposition in that they have scoring threats all over the field, with the likes of Dooher, McGinley, Harte and Cavanagh (if he roams away from full forward) all capable of scoring from distance. So there’s a risk that our sweeper tactic could be neutralised by them picking off scores from further outfield and we’ll need to be wary of that and ready to adjust to a more conventional line-up.

Our full backline got burned for pace in a couple of the earlier rounds but I think Tommy McGuigan and Colm McCullough are more tricky, skillful customers rather than out and out pace merchants and I think they’ll suit our corner backs. If we do play the extra man in defence then we’ll again be relying on a supreme effort from Banville, Barry and the half backline to get down and dirty in the middle third and get their share of possession against a team who are masters at snapping up the breaking ball. I think that David Murphy sometimes struggles against a direct running centre forward in the Declan O’Sullivan mould but I’ve seen him do excellent jobs on playmakers like Brian McGuigan. Colm Morris vs Brian Dooher - should be a great match-up too. They’ll sweep forward as a team so it’s imperative that our forwards track back with their defenders when they break forward - we saw Gormley and Harte getting scores the last day and Jordan piled forward on occasion too.

Bradley has the all-round football ability and athleticism to go toe-to-toe with McGinley and Bocky should be able for Collie Holmes so I don’t see them gaining a huge advantage in midfield. I’ll be interested to see who they assign to mark Forde and it’s not a given that he’ll be picked up by McMenamin. I noticed in their last few games against Dublin that Gormley marked Brogan and indeed last week he went into the corner at the start, with McMenamin pushing out to wing back and Harte moving inside to centre back. Once Brogan went off then Gormley immediately reverted to centre, Harte to the wing and McMenamin back into the corner. Gormley’s a fantastic player and a sticky, hard bastard. Sometimes they like to release McMenamin to bomb on and carry the ball forward rather than restrict him to man-marking duties so it’ll be interesting to see what happens here.

Their other corner back Gourley looked pretty loose at times but in fairness he came onto a game as the game developed. That said Mossy Quinn didn’t punish him for a number of errors in the first half, particularly that 2 on 1 chance that Dublin fooked up when it was 0-2 each. I think Lyng could get some joy here and I also expect our forwards to rotate a bit and vary between low balls into Forde and Lyng and then Colfer moving inside and Lyng dropping out a bit and trying some high deliveries in for Colfer to break down to Forde. But we’ll obviously need to play smart and there’s no point launching balls in to hugely outnumbered attackers. We showed good patience against Armagh and carried the ball forward from the back well, held it up and then got runners coming to break forward at pace. Then when the opportunity presented itself in the second half we went more direct and got the goal in this way.

So we have the variation and personnel to hurt any defence but we’ll need to break our balls around midfield to get enough ball to feed them. We should also be ready to bring Matty out to centre forward if he’s not getting enough possession inside. We’ll need to have an alternative plan if they’re outmanoeuvring us tactically and our spare man is obsolete. We might have to put faith in our full backline coping man vs man and get another body further outfield. We’ll need to defend as a unit and track their runners from deep and we’ll need to combine our running, short-passing, support game with some long, direct deliveries into our full-forward line. We’ll also need to use our bench wisely, like we did against Armagh, and we’ll have to be decisive in making changes if they’re required, unlike Dublin last week. Basically, we just need to stand up and be counted and give it an incredible fooking lash. I’ll be praying for a win when I’m over in Glasgow.

Prick

I’d worry for the wexford midfielder who looks like the Undertaker (don’t know his name)…while he’s a good footballer he struggles to get around the pitch and i think tyrone midfield will run the wexford midfield into the ground like shane ryan did…wexford have to play a sweeper as wallace will be taken to the cleaners if cavanagh stays in…

Wallace did well enough on Clarke the last day anyway. These big lads suit Wallace more anyway and I think he should do an alright job on Cavanagh (if he plays there)

Yep, I don’t want to tempt fate but I was saying earlier that Tyrone’s full forward line doesn’t possess out and out pace. Wallace generally does well against bigger and physical players so I’m not dreading the Cavanagh match-up.

they don’t need lightning pace poundage…the quality of the ball they got against dublin means all they need is a yard…a defender still has to cover the goal so thats the yard…wexford have to play a lad in front of full back line…especially when tyrone half forward line plays so deep.

Yep, suppose you’re right there cumspot.

Collie Byrne will be back there keepin an eye on things. Wallace needs all the help he can get. Still on paper that Tyrone full forward line aint near as good as Armagh’s.

Wasn’t disagreeing with the sweeper system at all. Think we should use it alright. Just stating that Wallace ain’t that big a weak link going into this game

In defence of Philip Wallace, most Wexford fans have been more worried about him being exposed by the opposition forwards than any of the rest of our backs this year. Yet it hasn’t really happened in any of our games so far in the Championship. Touch wood, it’ll be the same for the Tyrone game.

He didn’t exactly have a stormer in the thrashing by Dublin, but there were other backs around him who were worse. Wallace has gotten more experience over the years and has learned to counteract his obvious limitations in speed by anticipating the play better and ensuring that he’s not as exposed as he used to be to one-on-one situations. The other Wexford backs (Brian Malone, etc.) have learned to cover for him better too and sweep behind him when necessary.

The Philip Wallace I’ve seen in 2008 is significantly a better full-back than the one that had Paddy Bradley run rings around him in 2004, and ultimately getting him sent off.

Here’s hoping he doesn’t make me eat my words on Aug 31 by letting San Cavanagh score 2-6 off him!

[quote=“Menapian”]In defence of Philip Wallace, most Wexford fans have been more worried about him being exposed by the opposition forwards than any of the rest of our backs this year. Yet it hasn’t really happened in any of our games so far in the Championship. Touch wood, it’ll be the same for the Tyrone game.

He didn’t exactly have a stormer in the thrashing by Dublin, but there were other backs around him who were worse. Wallace has gotten more experience over the years and has learned to counteract his obvious limitations in speed by anticipating the play better and ensuring that he’s not as exposed as he used to be to one-on-one situations. The other Wexford backs (Brian Malone, etc.) have learned to cover for him better too and sweep behind him when necessary.

The Philip Wallace I’ve seen in 2008 is significantly a better full-back than the one that had Paddy Bradley run rings around him in 2004, and ultimately getting him sent off.

Here’s hoping he doesn’t make me eat my words on Aug 31 by letting San Cavanagh score 2-6 off him![/quote]
He was destroyed against Laois.

I was abroad for the Laois game and didn’t find a pub showing the game until the 2nd half. I know Parkinson was clear through and should have got a goal with about 10-15 mins left. Was Wallace bad for the first half?

Overall though, Wallace has had a good Championship.