Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Bandage”]Larry? O’Gorman? 'Twas Senie Flood and Tom Dempsey who did the singing in 1997 after the Leinster Final.

There’s definitely some irony in the bold part given Cork’s display last weekend![/quote]

How you like your irony served is your business; here’s how I like mine; we’re still there. Perhaps I’ll appreciate you more when Wexford beat Kerry.

BTW Larry O’Gorman treated Des and Iano’s listeners to his version of …whatever something to do with singing on Monday morning back in … I forget the year, wasn’t in this decade anyway,

Anyone see Meyler in today’s Times ?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0827/1219680033069.html

Announces he is going to go after the potential dual players on the football panel to hurl next year. Of all the weeks to come out and say that publicly. What a tool.

And tell you what, I’ll appreciate Cork if they manage not to poo themselves any time they play Kerry in Croke Park. Deal?

the best thing for both of us to do now is not talk about poo.

There’ll be enough poo done between now and next Sunday;
(see my remarks on your “usual” Sunday timetable thread)

However I sincerely hope there’s isn’t as much as the Leinster Football Final. The Northside Drainage works has seen enough damage from the weather as it is.

[quote=“Paul Codd”]http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0827/1219680033069.html[/url]

Announces he is going to go after the potential dual players on the football panel to hurl next year. Of all the weeks to come out and say that publicly. What a tool.[/quote]

In fairness I don’t think he said he was going to “go after” them. Just said he thought he might have had them for the panel at the start of the year and how he would love if they would be involved in the future. But bad timing with the article alright.
I suspect the journalist just took that piece of the interview and decided to make a bigger deal about it.

[SIZE=“4”]Ryan a Model of composure [/SIZE]

Brendan OBrien -Irish Examiner

LEAVE aside the obvious distraction that is Sundays All-Ireland football semi-final, and this is still a busy week for Wexford manager Jason Ryan.

A PE teacher in Dungarvan, the former Waterford footballer will be just one link in the chain of thousands making their way back to the classrooms of Ireland after the long, but far from sultry, summer vacation.

Hardly the best of weeks to be returning to the nine to five and yet, in another sense, where better to dodge the hype ahead of the Tyrone game than in his own county, where they are equally engulfed in thoughts of their own All-Ireland glory?

Thats not a bad way of looking at it, Ryan admits but the reality is that duties he dealt with at his leisure last week have been shoe-horned into finite time slots in recent days.

The wonder for most of us is not that he is able to perform such a juggling act but that he is having to do so at all at so late a juncture in the season.

Ryan himself accepts the point.

Getting to an All-Ireland semi-final is tough to do, whichever route you take to get there but most people would accept that it is harder for provincial runners-up. Losing a final like that is such a hard blow to take.

For a county like Wexford, who people would say have no chance of winning an All-Ireland final, the feeling is that it is even harder to bounce back, because there wont be a belief there that they can win the All-Ireland.

There are so many traditional counties out of the competition and we are still there. All we have done is to stick to our jobs and see what comes of it.

Win or lose on Sunday, Wexford have already proven themselves to be worthy heirs of Houdini. Ten points down against Meath, with 18 minutes left, they produced a sensational recovery to reach the Leinster semi-final.

Little did we know at the time that they would produce a turnaround far more epic in scope, by following a 23-point defeat to Dublin in the provincial decider, with a renaissance that has taken them to within 70 minutes of the All-Ireland final itself.

The quarter-final defeat of Armagh was the result which made everyone take notice but it was the qualifier against Down that was the cog on which their fortunes spun so dramatically.

It was a big plus that we had played them already in the league. That stood to us, we knew what we were coming up against. Another big plus was the fact that we had played twice in Croke Park already this summer. Down didnt have that same experience of playing there.

THE main key in unlocking the door to the foothills of September was their ability to move on psychologically from the Dublin trauma and Ryan puts that down to the fact that the panel were playing club matches three days after the Leinster decider.

Vital as the mental side to the game is, Ryan stresses that it wasnt the losing of the Leinster final or the winning of the two games since. No, the key difference has been Wexfords increasing ability to perform the basics.

Their downfall against the Dubs was primarily down to an inability to maintain possession and a deterioration in work ethic, both of which have been remedied.

We havent given away as much possession, which was something we had focused on after the Leinster final. We could still do better in that area. Tyrone gave away virtually no possession against Dublin and we will have to match them there in the semi-final.

No small ask, that. Dublin provide a convenient central point from which to view these two protagonists and the bottom line isnt a comforting one for Wexford who are 35 points worse off in their mutual dealings with the Leinster champions.

Such comparisons will be useless at the weekend even if the expectation is that a rejuvenated Tyrone will prove a hurdle too high for this overachieving Wexford team to negotiate.

Tyrone were certainly very good against Dublin, says Ryan. They were very efficient but the team in 2005 was a very young team so it doesnt surprise me to see a lot of those players still performing so well.

Apart from Brian Dooher, they are all still relatively young. They just have a hell of a lot of talent.

The great man retired in 1995.

[quote=“Bandage”]

John Cooper,
Richie Purcell, John O’Gorman, Darragh Breen,
Pat Forde, Barry Kirwan, Leigh O’Brien,
John Harrington, Willie Carley,
Diarmuid Kinsella, Mick Mahon, Jim Byrne,
Scott Doran, Jason Lawlor, John Hegarty.

In fairness, that’s quite a team.[/quote]

Wot? No James Holmes???

The Castletown stalwart?

Just heard a song in honour of the Wexford football team on South East Radio.

Cringe central!

The very man.

A fine player in my (slightly biased) opinion.

Bandage and any other lads at home - did any of the papers mention anything about the shuttle bus on Sunday? We’re probably gonna run it for free now. Probably leaving the Stillorgan Park around 1 o clock or so.

Don’t think either of them did Mac, the feckers.

I knew I couldnt trust that Ahern fella - I should’ve contacted Tom Mooney. He surely would have mentioned it

Actually Mac - just noticed The Wexford People have a part in the fixtures section of the main paper about the bus. Sloppy on my part but I only read the 24-page glossy magazine pull-out yesterday where it wasn’t mentioned.

Knew that lad would never let me down

The weather forecast for Sun is poor,which will help Wexford.I think Tyrone are very nervous,they lost to us in 2005 on a pissing wet Sunday.The result that day was overshawdowed by the hurlers thrashing at the hands of Kilkenny.I remember that Tyrone game well, in Portlaoise.
I think we have a fair chance ,but the defence must be excellent and tight to stop the runs of the Tyrone forwards.
Wexford have nothing to lose and that has been the secret of their success after the Dublin debacle.They are free from the shackles of heavy expectation and pressure,which can hinder a team at this level,and are therefore better able to express themselves.I expect a close tight game going down to the wire.WX by a point or two.

Not really sure what to say about Sunday. I’d be the first to hold my hands up and say that I think the lads have overachieved this year. We can be a great team but we have our limitations. Jason seems to realise this and like any good manager maximises our strengths while trying to ensure our weaknesses aren’t exposed (except against Dublin but then it was rectified).

There would be no greater pleasure this year in the same year as Seamus Keevans passed on for this team to make the All Ireland final. I, like many others on this board have followed this team around the country for the last few years. Drenched to the skin in Portlaoise and Clones, sun burned in Enniskillen, humiliated and frustrated in Croke Park. Enduring the taunts of what felt like half of Ulster after Mattygate. Seeing us piss all over Longford in a Tommy Murphy Cup semi final just getting a glimpse of the type of football this team can play when they put their mind to it.

I’ve even ended up on the piss with them in a lock-in inside Coppers on 2 occasions in 2006. There’s something about this team that they don’t know how to give up. Almost losing every game in the league at half time and either winning or drawing all their games.

They’re playing for each other as much as themselves - has Mattie ever laid off as many passes in one season? Has Banville ever worked harder off the ball? Has Boccy ever played so well in his life? Has Bradley ever covered so much ground?

I’ve full faith that they can beat Tyrone but if they lose they’ve given us the best season our generation has ever seen. I hope this is the start of something special for this team and that they can kick on and seriously challenge Dublin in Leinster and make the next few quarter finals at the bare minimum.

Wexford at 3/1 is too much to turn down. The only tactic needed for Sunday has been coined this summer by Pikeman - give it to Red.

Also worth mentioning that the Intermediate Ladies footballers are playing Tipperary this weekend as well…

& the trout tickling cheese chasing u16’s remedial finals are also on