Wexford GAA 2008

I heard the interview on Radio 1 this morning. He was fairly peeved off to say the least. He said that after the Waterford game Fitzy said that if he (Myler) gives it one more year so will he (Fitzy). He doesn’t know the 4 players but Power has gone with them.

TBH, from a KK point of view, this is bad for us. Wx have the talent but don’t have the coaching. With the right man in place they will be a threat not only to us in Leinster but to the AI series in general. Think Wx have to think outside the box. If you look inside the county you might not get who you need to take you on a level. Dempsey, Dunne, Burke* might not be the way forward. Nicky English anyone?

*Can’t miss out an opportunity to remind one and all about Wx playing Stoney Burke in Goals back in the early 90’s…

Interview here

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,2433080,2433080,0,209

I’ve been working this morning on a John Meyler song. It’s taken its inspiration from the Pecker Dunne song ‘Wexford’ and I’m calling it ‘Meyler’.

Meyler

Chorus
Oh, Wexford hurlers are a team I like,
Though they’re not the team of yore,
John Meyler - he was managing us,
But he’s not managing us no more.

A cabal of players plotted against him,
And told Ger Doyle about their strife,
He wasn’t very long thinking about it,
Before drawing out his Chairman’s knife

And stabbing the bold Meyler firmly in the back,
Our erstwhile manager - he was rightly peeved,
Like Mark Landers was when invited by Meyler,
To take his last look around Pirc U Chaoimh

Chorus

For Meyler had met the players in August,
All agreed to redouble efforts and carry on,
But two months later he was on morning radio,
Confirming he was gone

Chorus

Meyler’s results were very mixed,
Inconsistent for much of the last two years,
And he seemed like a bit of an arsehole,
So I won’t be shedding any tears

Chorus

But he deserved a little respect,
County Board don’t see the wood from the trees,
John Meyler’s reign is consigned to the past,
And Wexford hurling’s still on its knees

Chorus x2

High-pitched wailing with menacing double bass accompaniment in gradual fading outro to signal the last agonising screams of Wexford hurling as she dies

right

just listened to the interview and here’s what has to happen

1. the 4 players involved should be named and shamed
  2. there should be an immediate vote of confidence in the entire county board as not only have we gone backwards under their tenure but these recent ugly happening would deter any decent manager from the post
  3. every player should be polled to see exactly the level of support for Meyler
  4. a serious cull of the panel is required and unless youre willing to die for wexford hurling and for the team(not just your clubmates) then thanks but fuck off

:):smiley:
is this fascist nuts? the thin line between gga amateurism & professinalism gets smaller. why would anyone want to employ a gga player who is more focussed on gga than their jobs - gga - the sport of teachers pigs & students

Gaelic manager makes pitch for jobs to keep players here

They were the stars of this year’s All-Ireland GAA championship. But now Wexford’s football team is faced with losing some of its brilliant squad to emigration due to the downturn in construction.

More than one third of the team, including key players, is involved in the construction industry and manager Jason Ryan fears that their jobs could be axed within the next few months. Mr Ryan is asking business people in Wexford to keep the team’s players in mind if they are hiring.

“We need jobs now. We needed them six months ago. If players don’t get them they will be gone,” he said.

“In the year gone by there were lads under pressure. Sometimes they would miss training because they had to work longer hours because they weren’t sure they would have more work. It all had a detrimental affect on performances,” Mr Ryan said.

“If you are happy in your job and in your family you will go about your training better. We have five, six, seven players working in the construction industry. They are working, but their jobs will eventually peter out. We also have tradesmen.”

Mr Ryan, who works as a PE teacher in Waterford, appealed to companies and all employers to contact Wexford County Board or himself personally if they had a job or jobs.

“The players have incredible discipline, are hard working and reliable,” he said. “As sports people they give up so much time for their county. They are huge plusses to any employer.There are a lot of Polish builders in our county who give nothing back so why not retranch them”

:D:D:D

is this fascist nuts? the thin line between gga amateurism & professinalism gets smaller. why would anyone want to employ a gga player who is more focussed on gga than their jobs - gga - the sport of teachers pigs & students

Gaelic manager makes pitch for jobs to keep players here

They were the stars of this year’s All-Ireland GAA championship. But now Wexford’s football team is faced with losing some of its brilliant squad to emigration due to the downturn in construction.

More than one third of the team, including key players, is involved in the construction industry and manager Jason Ryan fears that their jobs could be axed within the next few months. Mr Ryan is asking business people in Wexford to keep the team’s players in mind if they are hiring.

“We need jobs now. We needed them six months ago. If players don’t get them they will be gone,” he said.

“In the year gone by there were lads under pressure. Sometimes they would miss training because they had to work longer hours because they weren’t sure they would have more work. It all had a detrimental affect on performances,” Mr Ryan said.

“If you are happy in your job and in your family you will go about your training better. We have five, six, seven players working in the construction industry. They are working, but their jobs will eventually peter out. We also have tradesmen.”

Mr Ryan, who works as a PE teacher in Waterford, appealed to companies and all employers to contact Wexford County Board or himself personally if they had a job or jobs.

“The players have incredible discipline, are hard working and reliable,” he said. “As sports people they give up so much time for their county. They are huge plusses to any employer.There are a lot of Polish builders in our county who give nothing back so why not retranch them”

:D:D:D[/quote]

Not at all - its a great PR exercise for companies to employ well known GAA players. Ryan is handing out free PR advice to Wexford based companies. In truth, he’s probably saving them money by doing this.

NCC - are you more focussed on your job than anything else in your life?

no wexford team in any grade (football or hurling) have played in front of a full house since hurling all ireland in 96. discuss…

Leinster Football Final 2008
Leinster Football Semi-Final 2005

All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final 2008

All Ireland Football Qualifier vs Offaly 2004

4 that spring to mind - I’ll take an answer to my previous question whenever you’re ready.

[quote=“Mac”]Not at all - its a great PR exercise for companies to employ well known GAA players. Ryan is handing out free PR advice to Wexford based companies. In truth, he’s probably saving them money by doing this.

NCC - are you more focussed on your job than anything else in your life?[/quote]

i have the correct work life balance

Cop out :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Mac”]Leinster Football Final 2008

4 that spring to mind - I’ll take an answer to my previous question whenever you’re ready.

[/quote]

The football matches in 05 and 08 were not sell outs

4 that spring to mind - I’ll take an answer to my previous question whenever you’re ready.[/quote]

Just to add a few more:

1997 Leinster Hurling Semi-Final
1997 Leinster Hurling Final
1997 AISF v Tipp
2003 v Waterford in Nowlan Park
2004 AISF v Cork

AI Football Qualifier v Derry 2004
Leinster QF v Kildare 2004
Leinster QF v Meath 2008

Never let the facts get in the way of your prejudices, eh NCC?

4 that spring to mind - I’ll take an answer to my previous question whenever you’re ready.[/quote]
Also 1997 Leinster Final
97 All Ireland Semi
2001 AI Semi Final
2003 AI Semi Final
2008 AI Hurling Quarter Final
are one’s that come to mind for me.
Wexford still have the highest attendence record for hurling in Croke Park along with Cork. Will never be beaten.

[quote=“Menapian”]Just to add a few more:

1997 Leinster Hurling Semi-Final
1997 Leinster Hurling Final
1997 AISF v Tipp
2003 v Waterford in Nowlan Park
2004 AISF v Cork

AI Football Qualifier v Derry 2004
Leinster QF v Kildare 2004
Leinster QF v Meath 2008

Never let the facts get in the way of your prejudices, eh NCC?[/quote]

none were sell outs - my source is a wexford newspaper

Got there before me Menapian.
That game v Kildare was definitely a packed attendence alright-until our game started :smiley:

staggering fact that

I wouldnt mind them yokes - shoddy journos who always get their facts wrong - reference case 2007/07/02 Tom Mooney vs. Bandage.

And if it was the People, there’s an even better chance of it being wrong.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Got there before me Menapian.
That game v Kildare was definitely a packed attendence alright-until our game started :D[/quote]

remember the attendance was announced as something like 81,000 at half time in the Wexford Kildare game when there was about 5,000 left at it! Was it that day Nicky Lambert broke his leg and you could hear the crack in the upper cusack?

There wouldn’t have been 80+K there as the Hill was being renovated at the time - as was made very clear to me by the amount of disgruntled skanger Dubs in my immediate vicinity that would normally be knacker-drinking on the Hill!

But it was a full-house, though, even though most of the Dubs left after they were beaten by Westmeath in the curtain raiser.

[quote=“Menapian”]There wouldn’t have been 80+K there as the Hill was being renovated at the time - as was made very clear to me by the amount of disgruntled skanger Dubs in my immediate vicinity that would normally be knacker-drinking on the Hill!

But it was a full-house, though, even though most of the Dubs left after they were beaten by Westmeath in the curtain raiser.[/quote]

Was the hill closed or just being renovated? We were at that end of the upper cusack laughing our holes off at the mass exodus after the game. Thought there was people on the hill that day though.