Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“The Puke”]Who maire…no need for secrets around here…Babs or richie…]

to the wexicans out there:
who from inside the county would be interested in the job…some of the heroes of 1996…dunne, storey, dempsey etc…[/quote]

Neither: but has a similar sized trap.

is he a corkonian…

Ger Lough i getting the road from the Galway lads… Couldnt see him rocking up in Wexico park though.

yeah i hear gerlock is for the chop…he got his lexus taken back off him from who-ever sponsored him it…don’t think ger will ever be back as an intercounty manager…

If that clown Loughnane ends up in Wexford Park then I’ll personally head down there to beat him back out of the county.

If there is one thing that would get me to Wexico; thats it,

I’d even hand over money too.

If ye got Loughane’ tis blowjobs you should be offering him.

couln’t see gerlock going near wexford…the only reason he took galway because there seemed to be a lot of very talented young players and he thought that he could win another all ireland…don’t thgink the same could be said of wexford

Nah, his bullying, in your face, autocratic style and his I’ll get you to run up mountains so you’ll be prepared to run into and hit anything that moves style of hurling is so 1995.

We’d prefer someone who could coach the players, devise intelligent gameplans and build up a winning mentality.

Not a psychopath with a stupid pointy chin who’s one of the thickest and ignorant cunts in the country.

[quote=“Bandage”]Nah, his bullying, in your face, autocratic style and his I’ll get you to run up mountains so you’ll be prepared to run into and hit anything that moves style of hurling is so 1995.

We’d prefer someone who could coach the players, devise intelligent gameplans and build up a winning mentality.

Not a psychopath with a stupid pointy chin who’s one of the thickest and ignorant cunts in the country.[/quote]

whats Pat Spillane got to do with it?

Loughnane proved over the last couple of years how poor the standard of hurling was in the mid-90’s with his failure to produce anything with the conveyor belt of talent at his disposal in Galway.

If he had made any decent attempt at doing the job he was commisioned to do then Galway would be Kilkenny’s closest rivals. Instead he gave Kilkenny the motivation to win the semi last year and the 3-in-a-row this year.

[quote=“Fran”]Loughnane proved over the last couple of years how poor the standard of hurling was in the mid-90’s .

.[/quote]

i would respectfully disagree…don’t think that there is much in the difference between then and now…skill levels are probably better now than they were 10/15 years ago but the intensity of matches has dropped off…i watched the 1997 all ireland final again there last week and i couldn’t think of a game to come close to that level of intensity over the past 5/6 years…maybe a few of the cork v waterford clashes but they weren’t on the same level…

if you were to watch back all the all irelands between 1994 to 1999 and 2003 to 2008 there would be very little between them…skill levels might be higher in the 03 to 08 finals but the intensity has definately dropped(probably down to the qualifiers/longer seasons etc)

[quote=“The Puke”]i would respectfully disagree…don’t think that there is much in the difference between then and now…skill levels are probably better now than they were 10/15 years ago but the intensity of matches has dropped off…i watched the 1997 all ireland final again there last week and i couldn’t think of a game to come close to that level of intensity over the past 5/6 years…maybe a few of the cork v waterford clashes but they weren’t on the same level…

if you were to watch back all the all irelands between 1994 to 1999 and 2003 to 2008 there would be very little between them…skill levels might be higher in the 03 to 08 finals but the intensity has definately dropped(probably down to the qualifiers/longer seasons etc)[/quote]

This intensity thing is a red herring puke. The games may have been hard fought close encounters but it doesn’t hide the fact both Kilkenny and Cork we’re suffering from their worst run of form in 20 years.

they were indeed but all i will say to you is go back and watch a fewe games from around that time like the two provincial finals in 1997 and watch the two from this year and tell me which were better games…

how many games this season were full of top quailty, high intensity good fast hurling…not very many…the first half of wexford v kilkenny, the second half of galway cork, the clare v cork match and the waterford tipp match and none of them were by any means classics…

The first half of the KK - Cork game was as intense a half of hurling I’d seen in a long time. KK stepped up a gear towards the end of it but up until that Cork gave as good as they got.

I have to tell you, looking at all of this from afar is soooooo depressing. It really is quite unbelievable.

Next problem - who takes over? Who in their right mind would want to?

sorry the first half of that match wasn’t bad but i wouldn’t say that the standard was a million miles better than 10 years…granted the current kilkenny team would probably have still won a three in a row playing in any generation…but if you were to take the cork and waterford teams of the past few years(the two next best teams) and put them up against the clare team(95-99) or the offaly team(94-98) then i reckon the clare and offaly teams were better…

[quote=“The Puke”]sorry the first half of that match wasn’t bad but i wouldn’t say that the standard was a million miles better than 10 years…granted the current kilkenny team would probably have still won a three in a row playing in any generation…but if you were to take the cork and waterford teams of the past few years(the two next best teams) and put them up against the clare team(95-99) or the offaly team(94-98) then i reckon the clare and offaly teams were better…[/QUOTE]

The Mushrooms have kicked in

Log off now before you do yourself some damage.

Congrats on the three in a row; premature I know but I have a feeling …

I have doggedly been trying to get an interview with the Wexford players since news of Meyler’s sacking first broke. However, they’ve only spoken to me off the record (I love using these phrases as if I’m a real journalist) and I’ve been informed that they won’t do an interview with TFK as they deem it more appropriate to speak to local radio and the local press as it’s a Wexford issue. They’ll be doing that over the weekend.

They also wish to make clear that they have no desire to remain anonymous and never did either. That will become clear when they speak to the local media in any case. I am very disappointed not to secure yet another TFK exclusive, especially after my ‘Let me be your Tommie Gorman - you can be Roy Keane’ plea. I believe some of them have seen stuff like Idiot of the Month and fear it would have turned into a Martin Bashir/Michael Jackson type expose*.

• I wish to clarify that to the best of my knowledge none of the Wexford hurling squad members are paedophiles.

For the record, here are the Gormanesque questions I put to them:

1. Did the players approach Ger Doyle in order to discuss John Meyler’s position?

2. Was it a cabal of disgruntled players plotting without the knowledge of the full panel?

3. Did these players request the removal of John Meyler from his position?

4. Was it in actual fact Ger Doyle who asked to meet the players to review the season rather than 1) or 2) above?

5. How were the alleged ‘4 players’ who attended the ‘review’ with Ger Doyle chosen and which 4 players were they?

6. Were the full squad aware this review was taking place?

7. Why wasn’t Damien Fitzhenry present as the most senior player, especially given his public quotes since expressing disappointment at Meyler’s sacking?

8. Was anything said that hadn’t previously been raised face-to-face with Meyler at the meeting in Gorey the week after the Waterford game?

9. Were the players aware that Ger Doyle was going to make a decision on Meyler’s job almost immediately after the meeting?

10. Do the players feel that they were used as pawns in the affair and that Ger Doyle had his mind made up to fire Meyler?

11. Or was it the ultimate aim of the players to push through a management change?

12. Do the players regret the timing of the announcement?

13. Notwithstanding the manner of Meyler’s removal, are the players welcoming the prospect of working with a new regime?

14. What in particular are the ‘10 or 12’ points that the players had previously raised with Meyler and expressed dissatisfaction about?

15. Do the players accept part of the responsibility for Wexford’s moderate performance over Meyler’s reign or are they blaming the former manager?

16. Have the players spoken to Meyler in the aftermath to clarify the chain of events and exactly what happened in regards to this clandestine review?

Clongeen beat St Anne’s by a goal in the first football quarter final today, which alleviates some pressure for the fixtures committee given St Anne’s are still involved in the hurling championship and their hurling sem-final is fixed for Saturday, 25 October - the day before the football final.

It was only late this week that the Leinster Council agreed to defer the first round of the Leinster club until November 2 so we could complete our championship. But there’s another problem - the second quarter final between Shelmaliers and Adamstown just finished in a draw at Wexford Park. It was actually dark for the second half of extra time! It ended 1-9 each.

The plan was to play the semi finals next weekend (18/19 Oct), the final the following weekend (26 Oct) and then the provincial club first round the Saturday after that. Not sure what this draw will mean for the fixtures plans.

Gusserane/Starlights and Kilanerin/Horeswood in the last two quarter finals tomorrow afternoon in Wexford Park.

mattie forde was on newstalk there- he hasnt work since the start of the summer & 4 other players on the team are without work - sad to see & doesnt bode well for the future of that team if they have to emigrate