Wexford GAA 2008

Tomorrow’s action:

1.15pm: Intermediate Hurling Final Replay, Blackwater vs Rathnure

Playing in atrocious conditions last week.

3pm, Senior Hurling Final, Oulat-The Ballagh vs St Martin’s

Not sure who I want to win this as I have quite the dislike for both teams.

The Wexford All-Ireland senior and minor winning teams of 1968 are being introduced to the crowd at half time of the senior final.

'Gwan Wexford.

[quote=“Bandage”][b]

Taghmon-Camross deservedly won the Intermediate final 2-6 to 0-10. An epic performance by full back Johnny Waters was the highlight for me.[/quote]

Always good to see Glynn lose. Good post bandage, was there many at the game? I hope to fuck Shane Cullen has lost them itchy feet and will stay around for the county team next year.

Tremendous news for Wexford GAA supporters on the front of The Star on Sunday - Olympic boxing hero Kenny Egan is now dating Laura Masterson, sister of Wexford football 'keeper Anthony. Ah lovely.

There’s an interview with Liam Dunne in The Tribune ahead of his 11th county final appearance today. He says they ‘made a balls of it’ in reference to the tactics employed in the minor quarter final in Thurles when Galway were reduced to 13 men. He has a swollen knee but should be able to play.

I’m giving the Intermediate game a miss today so I can watch the first half of the Celtic game.

St Martin’s 1-13 Oulart-The Ballagh 1-8. A pretty scheidt game but it’s probably good overall to have someone break the Oulart stranglehold. The Martin’s were leading 1-7 to 0-2 at half time and Oulart were abysmal.

Gizzy Lyng and Eoin Quigley saw off Liam Dunne and David Redmond at midfield and that was where the game was won. Barry Lambert had 5 first half wides and the Martin’s should have been further ahead. Gizzy took over the frees and was very accurate from then on.

Philip Murphy got their goal when he caught a high ball, turned quickly and raced through to finish from point blank range. Oulart only started hurling when they were 1-11 to 0-4 behind midway through the second half and Nicky Kirwan got a few points and Rory Jacob buried a 21-yard free.

You could tell things weren’t going their way judging by the sheer amount of positional changes they were forced to make. Darren Stamp ended up going into midfield (where he creamed Gizzy Lyng off the ball before a puck-out in the second half), with Rossiter coming back to centre back and Mick Jacob moving into the forwards.

Alos, Ciarn Lyng was brought on in the first half and did well at wing forward.

Blackwater won the Intermediate final after extra time on a 3-12 to 1-11 scoreline. Great for them but they’re another team who are likely to be cannon fodder in senior.

[quote=“Bandage”]St Martin’s 1-13 Oulart-The Ballagh 1-8. A pretty scheidt game but it’s probably good overall to have someone break the Oulart stranglehold. The Martin’s were leading 1-7 to 0-2 at half time and Oulart were abysmal.

Gizzy Lyng and Eoin Quigley saw off Liam Dunne and David Redmond at midfield and that was where the game was won. Barry Lambert had 5 first half wides and the Martin’s should have been further ahead. Gizzy took over the frees and was very accurate from then on.

Philip Murphy got their goal when he caught a high ball, turned quickly and raced through to finish from point blank range. Oulart only started hurling when they were 1-11 to 0-4 behind midway through the second half and Nicky Kirwan got a few points and Rory Jacob buried a 21-yard free.

You could tell things weren’t going their way judging by the sheer amount of positional changes they were forced to make. Darren Stamp ended up going into midfield (where he creamed Gizzy Lyng off the ball before a puck-out in the second half), with Rossiter coming back to centre back and Mick Jacob moving into the forwards.

Alos, Ciarn Lyng was brought on in the first half and did well at wing forward.

Blackwater won the Intermediate final after extra time on a 3-12 to 1-11 scoreline. Great for them but they’re another team who are likely to be cannon fodder in senior.[/quote]

Thanks for that.

You must have a Blackberry that enables you to attend matches and report on them so soon after. Do you?

[quote=“Menapian”]Thanks for that.

You must have a Blackberry that enables you to attend matches and report on them so soon after. Do you?[/quote]

Nope, I’m townie scum and back in the gaff and on my laptop. Oulart’s lacklustre performance raises a few doubts about Kevin Ryan too. Rumours suggest there was a row in the camp midweek about team selection and they were really flat today. The standard was very low though and the disappointing thing from my perspective is that it’s the same players that have stood out in the latter stages of the championship agan. These are the lads like Gizzy and Quigley who are already on the county panel but there was nobody coming through and really impressing. Rory McCarthy was very good at centre back for the Martin’s - I forgot to mention him.

jaysus there will be some hooley up in the center in Piercestown tonight! Fair play to the Martins they played great stuff today. Is it time for Liam Dunne to call it a day?

did martin storey get a run…

nope, on the bench for the whole game.

Kilanerin felt that they weren’t quite up to level of the rest of Leinster and gave Navan O’Mahony’s a walkover today…surprised it was never mentioned on here before now.

whats this?

kilanerin are wexford champions - drawn to play meath champions navan o mahonys in the leinster championship but they gave navan a walkover.

They won the county final yesterday and decided to cede to Navan rather than play two days in a row.

I’d say the Meath lads were only too glad, they’ve seen enough of Matty over the last few years.

fcuk off ? thats nuts:D:D

they were scared of getting a hiding?:smiley:

Fair play to them for opting for a night on the beer last night instead.

[quote=“padjo”]They won the county final yesterday and decided to cede to Navan rather than play two days in a row.

I’d say the Meath lads were only too glad, they’ve seen enough of Matty over the last few years.

[/quote]

the NOM manager was disgusted actually padjo.

he said it wasnt ideal for kilanerin but he said it showed a complete disrespect to the All Ireland club championship and to Navan O’Mahony’s.

[quote=“Jugs”]Fair play to them for opting for a night on the beer last night instead.

[/quote]

could they not have waited one more day when their season would have been over anyway.

their carry on was pathetic

I believe they said last week that if they won the county final they wouldn’t fulfil the fixture so it’s hardly a shock for NOM. Don’t blame them to be honest, it’s very tough to play 2 days in a row but particularly the day after a county final. I think there’s a lot of clubs who couldn’t really give a fook about the inter-provincial club championship, it’s all about winning the county.

why didnt they put todays game back a week

Leinster Council wouldn’t allow it, think it was already put back due to delays in the Wexford c’ship.