Wexford GAA 2008

just got my years mixed up is all bandage

I’m bowing out of this aspect of it as I’ve no intention of making the Doc debate a 60+ pager in itself.

My last point ont he recent discussion too,

Art, you are talking out your hole. sorry lad, but Wexford never conceded 12 goals or even your revised number of 10 goals in 4 games. In 03 we conceded 10 goals in 6 games, which is hardly the sensationalist figure you’re looking for. That was the year we scraped by Offaly in Nowlan park after being down a truck load at half time, lost to KK by a bit in the LF, then beat Waterford down in Nowlan Park in a thriller (and a clean sheet) struggled past Antrim (where Fitzy was at fault for 2 sloppy goals) and then drew with Crok in a classic and lost heavily in the replay.

I’m probably guessing this is the year you are talking about, as we have never conceded more than 3 goals in 3 games following that up until last year, and whats that? Doc didnt play in the backs last year when the goals went in against Dublin last year.

All in all, your argument doesnt hold any weight if you are trying to go by figures. Personally, I’d prefer to go by actually seeing the player play and how he copes on the field.

Jesus - poor art is getting a right going over. I’d say Trimcat is creaming himself as we speak reading some of this stuff.

[quote=“Gman”]My last point ont he recent discussion too,

Art, you are talking out your hole. sorry lad, but Wexford never conceded 12 goals or even your revised number of 10 goals in 4 games. In 03 we conceded 10 goals in 6 games, which is hardly the sensationalist figure you’re looking for. That was the year we scraped by Offaly in Nowlan park after being down a truck load at half time, lost to KK by a bit in the LF, then beat Waterford down in Nowlan Park in a thriller (and a clean sheet) struggled past Antrim (where Fitzy was at fault for 2 sloppy goals) and then drew with Crok in a classic and lost heavily in the replay.

I’m probably guessing this is the year you are talking about, as we have never conceded more than 3 goals in 3 games following that up until last year, and whats that? Doc didnt play in the backs last year when the goals went in against Dublin last year.

All in all, your argument doesnt hold any weight if you are trying to go by figures. Personally, I’d prefer to go by actually seeing the player play and how he copes on the field.[/quote]

as bandage doesn’t want this to go on and on Re; DOc I’ll keep my opinion on him and respect yours

BTW

in 01 we conceded 10 in 4 games

Respect for your opinion all round art, after all, that is your entitlement.

Your facts and the relevance of your facts are now the focal point of this debate.

In 2001 for example, Wexford played 5 c’ship games.

v Laois No goals conceded
v KK 2 goals
v Limerick 2 goals
v Tipp 1 goal
v Tipp 3 goals

As farmer rightly says I am a bit slow on the up take but thats 5 games and wait for it, 8 goals.

And of possible relevance to the debate is that the gangly corner/centre back/sub in question only made is debut for the Limerick game.

I think this latest argument is fairly well dead now. facts and figures are not going with on this one Art!! As you say, respect for your opinion, no ones opinions can be wrong, but your facts are in this case.

in other news, the county semis in Hurling and the other football one are on this weekend.

i expect Gusserane to win the football, Shels will be tired enough after 2 games going to ET, and I dont think they are too hot in any case.

annes might well do the Martins. Martins have been stuttering along for a while pretenders to the thrown as it were, but they have never broke through like the promise they have showed. The phrase sht or get off the pot comes to mind. They have the potential, but will they take their eye off the ball looking ahead?

oulart and Rathnure could go any way, and I expect the champions to come from these 2. both have been playing well this year, and I still think Oulart have more natural talented players than Rathnure. 'nure are not known as mountain men for nothing, big hardy fookers. There’ll be shots in it, and I think oulart might get revenge on last year.

Colm Farrell is the only Wexford player to make the Leinster team this weekend. (Only one on the panel in fact)
Banville on the football team with Masterson, Bradley and Forde as subs

[quote=“Pikeman”]Colm Farrell is the only Wexford player to make the Leinster team this weekend. (Only one on the panel in fact)
Banville on the football team with Masterson, Bradley and Forde as subs[/quote]

Is that cos of the club semi finals this weekend or because the players just aren’t bothered? I saw earlier that the Munster Football team is mainly made up of Limerick and Cork men. Maybe there’s merit in Joe Kiernans suggestion of moving the inter pros back to Paddys day.

I’d imagine its because of the clubs games as between the 4 teams playing in the hurling semis, Shels in the football and Ballyboden in the hurling nearly the whole Wexford team is in action this weekend.

In any case, it would be a Kilkenny only team if they were all fit and available.

Is it true that the county hurling semi finals are being played on Saturday and Sunday - one with the Junior A hurling final and the other with the Intermediate hurling final? What about those of us who are Dublin based and want to go on the absolute lash up here on Friday night? It’s very selfish of them to fix a senior semi-final for Saturday afternoon.

yeah, I think, and I may be wrong here, but did one of the clubs ask for it to be moved to saturday due to a wedding?

you should write to Margaret Doyle anyway Bandage, i’m sure the game could either be postponed or played in Parnell Park to suit you.

Result from the first Wexford hurling semi-final: St Martin’s 0-11 St Anne’s 1-7. Got a bit locked last night and didn’t get down to Wexford for it. I’ll be at the second semi-final tomorrow though.

Apparently, Barry Lambert was the difference between the teams today and he was the only forward who cut loose and got a few scores from play. The Anne’s relied mostly on Redmond Barry frees and lacked a cutting edge in the forwards. It was a great chance for the Anne’s to reach their first final since winning it in 2000 so they’ll be sickened - they also missed a penalty in the second half.

The Fixtures Committee have really outdone themselves with the second semi-final tomorrow between Oulart-The Ballagh and Rathnure being the curtain raiser for the Junior A hurling final. Clowns.

Gusserane defeated the Shelmaliers 1-12 to 2-8 in the second football semi-final today too and go forward to meet Kilanerin next Saturday. I was hoping the Shels would get to the final in their first ever year in senior football but it’s still a good season for them.

Oulart-The Ballagh 1-15 Rathnure 1-9.

Not a great game but decent enough in parts. Oulart played with the breeze in the first half and moved the ball around well. They created lots of space with good movement and clever passing and Mythen, Jacob and Doyle were very lively upfront. They also had Stamp and Rossiter fit again and their bench emphasised their strength in depth.

It was 0-11 to 0-6 at half time and it was mainly Paul Codd frees that were keeping Rathnure in touch, with Nigel Higgins their only forward who was causing trouble for the Oulart defence where Stamp at centre back and Paul Roche at full back were very solid.

Higgins got a goal midway through the second half to bring them back to within a point - pulling on a loose ball after a Codd '65 wasn’t cleared - but Oulart responded by goaling from the very next attack and that took the sting out of Rathnure. Rory Jacob fed Anthony O’Leary, who cut in along the endline and crossed for Nicky Kirwan to volley home. Kirwan was good and got a couple of decent points along with his goal.

Rathnure just didn’t have the threat upfront to cause Oulart enough problems despite sending a lot of ball in there. Antony O’Connell was good for Rathnure in the second half and came out with a lot of ball from defence. David Redmond also showed his class for Oulart and got 3 excellent points.

I know hurling is an off the cuff game but the best teams have a pattern of play and a method of working the ball around and everyone is aware of their role and what they should be trying to do. We didn’t have that in Wexford under John Meyler but seeing Stamp, Redmond and Mick Jacob feeding good balls into space for Rory Jacob, Mythen, Doyle and Kirwan showed we actually have some good players for our county team if we can get someone to lead us.

Right, so big weekend in Wexford.

Saturday:

1.15pm - Intermediate Football Final Replay, Glynn-Barntown vs Taghmon Camross

Taghmon actually won the Intermediate championship last back in 2001 when Adrian Morrissey, a Dublin senior winner with Kilmacud Crokes the other night, captained them.

Glynn-Bartown were relegated from senior in 2005 after being one of the main contenders from the late 1980s right throughout the 1990s and they’re backboned by the Carley clan.

3pm - Senior Football Final, Gusserane vs Kilanerin

Looking forward to the senior final a lot. Gusserane are surprise finalists but they’ve a very good recent record against Kilanerin and have some decent players in Shane Cullen, Philip Wallace and Adrian Flynn.

Cullen’s back from Australia and has senior inter-county experience with Wexford too. He plays a roving playmaker role and is a very good player. They have other decent club players like Gary O’Grady and Seamus Ryan and will push Kilanerin all the way.

Kilanerin are always in the shake-up down here but they’ve done very well to get to the final after parting with their manager during the season. Ex-county players Pat Forde and John Hegarty are now in charge while still playing and they’ll of course have Matty Forde too. They have a fair sprinkling of young players to complement the experience and they’re favourites. I take them to win by 3.5-5.5 points.

[quote=“Bandage”]Right, so big weekend in Wexford.

Saturday:

1.15pm - Intermediate Football Final Replay, Glynn-Barntown vs Taghmon Camross

Taghmon actually won the Intermediate championship last back in 2001 when Adrian Morrissey, a Dublin senior winner with Kilmacud Crokes the other night, captained them.

.[/quote]

Ya they bet the Shels that day, who - despite either 3 or 4 appearances in the county final - didn’t get out of intermediate til this year. And a good few of their seniors who got to the semi final this year were playin that day.

Anyhow crackin weekend of Wexford GAA to look forward to this weekend, hope it all matches expectations.

I’d agree with Bandage and can see Kilanerin winning by 3 or 4 points. The majority of their players have experience of finals while Gusserane have only 2 or 3 players with experience of the big day.

I also feel the Gusserane defence is their achilles heel. Phil Wallace has been going well for them at midfield but they will probably have to bring him back in defence to deal with Forde or Hegarty. Gusserane may have to play with the wind in the first half (there is always a strong wind in Wexford Park), build up a lead and then try to defend it.

Gusserane’s attack has been getting a lot of scores but Kilanerin defend very intelligently. Their full back line is never left exposed and the two Hughes in midfield are always back to help out.

The game could turn in to a shoot out between Forde and Shane Cullen. We all know about Mattie but Cullen has been among the top 3 club footballers for a few years now. Jason Ryan should be doing everything to convince him to put his travelling on hold for next year. He has played in a number of positions for Wexford but if given a run in at centre or full forward he could be a huge addition.

Like I said though I’ll go with Kilanerin to win with a few points to spare and if they do they will be deserving winners, having beaten the last two champions in the knock out stages.

is it true that the winners of todays football final are playing in leinster tomorrow…madness…

Kilanerin 1-12 Gusserane 0-12. Extremely enjoyable game of football today and you were damn right about the shoot-out between Forde and Cullen. They were both absolutely outstanding, with Forde shooting 10 points (5 from play) and Cullen knocking over 9 points (5 from play).

I suppose you can fault the other forward players for not making such an impression on the scoresheet but the two lads were a complete joy to watch. Really quality stuff. The game was still in the melting point in injury time at 0-12 to 0-11 when Kilanerin got a messy scrambled goal after a Forde point attempt hung in the air and the 'keeper wasn’t decisive in coming for it and Jim Hughes flicked it over the line.

As MA speculated beforehand, Gusserane might regret not sending Phil Wallace back onto Forde earlier. After seeing off two defenders, Forde was finally greeted with Wallace arriving down to him midway through the second half. They had a grin and handshake and got stuck in - two great Wexford football men.

It was 0-7 to 0-5 to Kilanerin at half time and the wind wasn’t really a factor. Forde scored 0-6 in the first half, 0-2 from play and two superb long range frees off the ground that were struck so purely. Cullen kept Gusserane in it in the first half and then stormed out of the blocks in the second half and got some superb scores from play, especially a cracker with his weaker left foot on the turn.

They went 0-8 to 0-7 up at this stage but Forde then got the most impudent point. He sold an initial dummy as he feigned to shoot and then a second one as another defender dived in. However, the solo went a little high and as another defender approached, Forde tipped the ball over his head and slotted over with his left foot from 30 yards. Sheer class.

But Cullen was equally as good and I hope he’s from his travels for good too. He didn’t give the ball away once - always choosing the correct option, linking the play well, great passing, good runs and super kicking. On this form, I’ll happily give him permission to bring my little sister on a second date. He’ll be an excellent addition to our forwards next year and we’re already strong in that area.

Kilanerin said during the week that were refusing to play on Sunday if they won. After the game they said they were going to have a discussion in the dressing room about it so there’s a possibility they might still not play. They have a home tie against Navan O’Mahoney’s.

Taghmon-Camross deservedly won the Intermediate final 2-6 to 0-10. An epic performance by full back Johnny Waters was the highlight for me.