Wexford GAA 2008

2 average enough senior finals over the weekend. The football wasnt too bad tho, but the hurling was poor. If Cullen and Forde werent on the field saturday it would have been hard to see any talent on view. Some of the scores both men got were fantastic tho, and hopefully Shane will change his mind and hang around here and not head back to Oz. Would be a great addition to the county set up.

I thought Taghmon were very lucky in the Int game. 2 shite goals early in the first half against the wind won it for them. Barntown to me looked a better balanced team, albeit full of Carleys, but Taghmon did enough and got the bit of luck neeeded to win big games.

Senior hurling was poor Sunday. Martins had it won at half time. Those who thought Lambert was ll te Martins had must have got a suprise when they actually saw them play. Lambert was poor and had 5/6 wides himself in the first half. McCarthy and the Martins half back line were exellent throughout, and Quigley at midfield was dominant. Well deserved for the Martins, and delighted for them ot finally make the breakthru with that bunch of players. They’ve been knocking for a while now.

The int game waas exciting enough too, fair play to Blackwater for getting the win to ensure their senior status despite knowing beforehand they’d go up. Hard on Rathnure, they played well and got some nice scores, but Blackwater deserved it overall on their year. Played some good hurling this year. But they’ll join the other 8 or so average senior clubs now and get the shite beaten out of them by a big side, but hopefully the format will change in Wexford and split senior hurling.

Disagree on the Martin’s. I don’t like them at all. I agreed with Appendage’s comment, ‘Good that Oulart were beaten but not good that the Martin’s were the team to do it.’

ha! ah thats what you get for your own district rivals. It’d be the same for the football, I’m sure a lot outside of Kilanerin and New Ross district were hoping Gusserane would win.

Dunno if anyone posted this.

The mind is willing and at 40, the body is as well
Enda McEvoy
Heading into his 11th Wexford county decider, that kind of endurance comes naturally to Liam Dunne as he talks about a career blessed with final moments

Born to hurl: Oulart’s Liam Dunne attributes his longevity to good and sensible training Being Liam Dunne. It’s Wednesday night last and he’s at home working out on an exercise bike and casting an interested eye over Arsenal versus Spurs on Sky Sports as he tries to get fit for his 11th – not including replays – Wexford county final. He’s trying to get fit because three days earlier he went up for a ball with Paul Codd in the semi-final, got caught under the Rathnure man coming down and jarred his knee on landing. Dunne didn’t feel too bad that night; on Monday, however, it was as though he “had three knees”.

Since then he’s had hot water, cold water, seawater, done the cryotherapy thing in White’s Hotel and pounded the pedals on his bike. Will he make the Oulart the Ballagh line-up against St Martin’s today? Well, put it this way: last year Dunne broke his finger a few days before the county final, had pins inserted and was told he hadn’t a chance of playing. He played and came away with a sixth medal. Being Liam Dunne.

He’s a midfielder these days, in case you didn’t know. The senior partner alongside David Redmond in chronological terms, very much the junior partner in practical terms. Redmond, a real box-to-box merchant, does the running; Dunne, as befits someone of his age and venerability, hangs around and picks up the bits and pieces. At one stage in the quarter-final against Faythe Harriers, Dunne let a roar at the sideline to bring in some water. The water man rushed on and was making a beeline for Dunne when he was waved away.

“No, not me – it’s for Redmond. Look at all the running he’s done!”

Redmond, according to Dunne, is “a gazelle”; Dunne neither pretends nor attempts to be. “I never had any speed to begin with. But you try and use the bit of brains that you have.”

That’s what he’s been doing at midfield since Oulart put him in there a year ago. Life begins at 40, the age Dunne turned in June, then? “Lose on Sunday and it could end there too.” He’s well aware that the clich about being only as good as one’s last game has particular relevance in his case. “I could play nine good matches out of 10. Play a bad one and fellas will say, ‘Sure in his heyday he couldn’t play at midfield.’”

Part of the credit for his winter of content he attributes to Kevin Ryan, the Oulart manager and former Waterford selector. Ryan placed Dunne on a training programme drawn up by Gerry Fitzpatrick and different to the regime practised by the other players. Dunne did his block of heavy work early in the season and was then handed a four-month break in which he wasn’t required to show up in the field at all. He didn’t object, seeing that at his age he “can’t be doing the same training as everyone else”. It’s the little things he does off the field, he’s discovered, that make the difference, such as the trips to take the waters at Curracloe or Morris Castle. The little things he wouldn’t have done in his prime. Then again, recovery wasn’t the issue that it is now.

Not that this old dog has learned any new tricks at midfield, it seems. “At 40, you hurl to survive. Nothing more.” One trick from his previous life, however, has been consigned firmly to the past. “I don’t be hitting anyone any more. I gave that up when I retired from intercounty.” Anybody mention that hat-trick of championship red cards (John Troy 2000, Brian O’Meara '01, Martin Comerford '02) these days, Liam? “An odd time it’s thrown at me, but not from anybody on the field. I was expecting something to be said when I went back in '03 but it never happened. Which was kind of nice.”

He’ll continue to pay out the thread for as long as it lasts. Today marks his fifth county final in succession since he finished up with Wexford in 2003. He’d like to think that he’s held his own in that time. He’s simultaneously appreciative of his good luck. “Some lads never get the opportunity to appear in a county final. Some might get one chance. I count myself really, really fortunate.” Similar sentiments apply to his role in the county’s year of liberty, 1996. “It’s only in time, as it goes by, and you see Wexford in the doldrums, that you realise we were damn lucky to get '96 out of it. Looking back, I’m more relieved than anything else. The 1968 team are being presented to the crowd at the county final. To think we were part of the only Wexford team to win an All Ireland in 40 years is frightening.”

He’s been fortunate too, he asserts, to have spent the last two years as a Wexford minor selector although he’s quick to add, unprompted, that the management “made a balls of it” when Galway were reduced to 13 men in the All Ireland quarter-final at Semple Stadium in July. When the first chap was sent off, Wexford employed the spare man in defence. When the second chap was sent off, they employed the second spare man in defence. Aargh. “A complete waste of time. Okay, there was only a minute or two left, and these things are easy to say in hindsight, but we should have pushed one of our spare men forward. The one thing I’ll say is that the commitment from the players was fantastic and that after a disappointing Leinster final they came back and redeemed themselves against Galway.”

The Meyler affair, by the by? Being Liam Dunne, he has an opinion on that. “It was badly handled. It was wrong t hat the county board fired him. Shouldn’t have happened.” Being Liam Dunne.

November 2, 2008

And christ we’re grateful for him for being Liam Dunne.

Bunclody are playing Duffry in the football relegation final too Fitzy. One of the bigger clubs certain to be playing intermediate next year.

I can exclusively reveal that the committee charged with appointing a new Wexford senior hurling manager interviewed 8 candidates for the job on Saturday. Among them were Kevin Ryan, Colm Bonnar and that Fortune lad from Shamrocks in Enniscorthy who applies for the job every time it comes up!

Breaking News

Colm Bonnar is the new Wexford senior hurling manager.

You read it first on www.thefreekick.com.

Yet another in a huge line of TFK exclusives.

Saw Diarmuid Kinsella in the Irish Times magazine there on saturday playing for Hong-Kong.
Good player, saw him for Castletown in the county final last year (?), year before maybe. He was classy.

RTE Get The Story Nearly 1.5 Hours After TFK

Note the time it was posted on their site:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2008/1111/wexford.html?gaa

Bonnar named as new Wexford boss

Tuesday, 11 November 2008 21:29

Former Tipperary star Colm Bonnar has been appointed as the new manager of the Wexford hurling team.

Bonnar, a winner of two All-Ireland medals as a player with Tipperary takes over from John Meyler, who was axed after the end of the recent Championship campaign.

Meyler was expected to be handed a third term in charge of Wexford and was believed to have the full support of the players.

colm bonner…An average enough player and an average enough manager…Best of luck to him and all of wexford Gaa…Any word on a back room team

Let’s nail this straight away - it’s Bonnar. Show some fooking respect Puke. It’s a worry that he was overlooked for the Tipperary job but it’s a positive that he’ll have more talented players at his disposal in Wexford than he would in his native county.

First step-make DOC captain imo

I’m hearing rumours that St Peter’s College, Wexford teachers and school team co-managers Brian Lonergan and Pat Quigley will be confirmed as part of the backroom team. The two Premier county men will join Cashel native Bonnar to form a Tipperary triumvarate that will aim to revive Wexford’s lagging fortunes.

presume you mean captain of the remedial team?

This is a fantastic appointment, I’m delighted. Bit out of left field was it, or was there any inkling Bonner would be in the frame?

He was far from an average player, a George O’Connor like collussus for Tipp more like.

And his managerial experience should not be questioned, he’s brough WRTC (WIT now of course) to Fitzgibbon success. He was very much respected at WRTC when I was there, is he still at WIT? He’ll bring an ocean of knowledge about sports coaching with him. I would expect a very close knit Wexford set up as a result with a squad totally committed to the cause.

I just hope he is now allowed to manage the team and the bullshit politics of Wexford GAA will not subsume him, like so many others in the past.

Roll on 2009!

says the man who thinks Davy fitz is a fantastic manager after what he did with LIT. The irony of it all.

Its a good appointment IMO. Kevin Ryan looked a shoe in, but I’d say Oularts dramatic loss to the Martins stumped him up a bit. Maybe it had nothing to do with it, but when you look at those teams on paper, and see the strenghts, and then see the tactics and positional changes that Oulart employed that day, it was hard to be in any way encouraged by Ryan.

Bonnar has done tremendous work at WIT, and seems to have his head screwed on a lot more than Myler. As long as he does a better media training course than Myler, we shouldnt be too bad with the sound bites after games either. There was a lot of interest in this post for whatever reason in comparison to last time round, so hopefully the right man was picked and he can do a good job.

[quote=“Gman”]says the man who thinks Davy fitz is a fantastic manager after what he did with LIT. The irony of it all.

[/quote]
never said he was a fantastic manager, I said he is a fantastic trainer and coach of a team…there is a big differnece between the two…look back at the thread i said that he is a good man to motivate young lads and have teams right but he lacks a bit of management/tactical skill…

Showed how good a trainer he is over the last 10 weeks when he took an honest but fairly limited broadford team who were heading for an intermediate relegation play off to the munster intermediate final…

First effort:
Bonnar, Bonnar from Tipperary,
The new manager of our county,
Driving up the road from WIT,
Bringing us back the Liam McCarthy.

Shockingly bad.

Bonnar vs Meyler - Tale of the Tape:

WIT vs CIT
Lecturer vs Lecturer
Was determined to get the Wexford job vs Was determind to get the Wexford job
Turned down for Tipp job vs Turned down for St Finbarr’s job (on regular occasions)
Remains to be seen vs Clueless imbecile

Oh dear that’s awful Bandage.

What about

It’s an honour
for Colm Bonnar
to manage the model county.

He’s from tipprary
But he’s not contrary
And he’ll win us the Liam McCarthy.

Have a tune in my head - but not sure what it’s called. Also it may be stolen from a Packie Bonner type song but can’t remember that either.