Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“therock67”]Oh dear that’s awful Bandage.

What about

It’s an honour
for Colm Bonnar
to manage the model county.

He’s from tipprary
But he’s not contrary
And he’ll win us the Liam McCarthy.

Have a tune in my head - but not sure what it’s called. Also it may be stolen from a Packie Bonner type song but can’t remember that either.[/quote]

is it Give it a lash Jack?

Is it to the tune of You Are My Larsson?

No Gman has it. It’s a bit like Give it a Lash Jack alright. Not sure it follows it fully though.

It’s those lines

“Packie Bonner, hes a goner
He wont have a single thing to do”

but twiceover and slightly longer in the second verse.

[quote=“therock67”]No Gman has it. It’s a bit like Give it a Lash Jack alright. Not sure it follows it fully though.

It’s those lines

“Packie Bonner, hes a goner
He wont have a single thing to do”

but twiceover and slightly longer in the second verse.[/quote]

That line is definately from “give it a lash jack”.

to the tune of Billyjoel’s we didnt’ start the fire

wexford hurlin is in the 'mire
they’ve been shit at hurlin
since the world’s been turnin

Liam Dunne, martin Storey, bill Byrne
Now Colum bonner’s got his turn
Wexford fans are going berserk
bring back Stoney burke…
bonners selectors are not yet known
poundage keeps checking his phone…
Billy rackard, Paul Codd,
larry Gorman is god…

Nick O’ Donnell,art foley, Skippy ruth
none of them can hide the truth
when the summer finally gets goin
wexford chances will be blown…
bonner’s wexford career will be dead
poundage will yet again abscond to parkhead…

Nice one cumspot.

[quote=“scumpot”]to the tune of Billyjoel’s we didnt’ start the fire

Liam Dunne, martin Storey, bill Byrne
Now Colum bonner’s got his turn
Wexford fans are going berserk
bring back Stoney burke…
bonners selectors are not yet known
poundage keeps checking his phone…
Billy rackard, Paul Codd,
larry Gorman is god…

Nick O’ Donnell,art foley, Skippy ruth
none of them can hide the truth
when the summer finally gets goin
wexford chances will be blown…
bonner’s wexford career will be dead
poundage will yet again abscond to parkhead…[/quote]

Definately a contender for post of the year…well done scumpot…

Bonnar’s name was mentioned as a possible contender for the Waterford job after their players shafted Justin McCarthy. IMO, Bonnar is a more tried and trusted hurling coach than Davy Fitzgerald and Waterford made a mistake in not appointing him.

It’s a bit of a coup that Wexford landed him and we all should be relieved that the business of appointing a successor to Meyler was completed relatively quickly. The past few occasions Wexford needed a new hurling manager became an embarrassment, as the whole process dragged on for ages, since several candidates very publicly turned down the offer. Yet another example of Wexford GAA shooting itself in the foot.

Overall, I welcome Bonnar’s appointment, but I would have a couple of reservations about him. Firstly, just how good a coach of WIT was he? He had a galaxy of star talent to choose from there - especially from the KK contingent. It could be argued that, with such an array of talent, the WIT team could have won all of their Fitzgibbons under Bonnar’s tenure, without much input from him at all. Perhaps even Paul Bealin could have won a few Fitzgibbons for WIT, with such excellent hurlers at his disposal!

Secondly - and speaking of Paul Bealin - could he be just using the Wexford job as a staging post to greater things - such as being the manager of his native county? If Liam Sheedy fails to surpass in 2009 what he did with Tipp in 2008, the manager’s job there could become available. Bonnar would then be a prime candidate for this position and, surely, there would be a huge (and understandable) temptation for him to jump ship.

This is all speculation and supposition on my part, but it’s worth keeping in mind, nonetheless.

[quote=“Menapian”]

Overall, I welcome Bonnar’s appointment, but I would have a couple of reservations about him. Firstly, just how good a coach of WIT was he? He had a galaxy of star talent to choose from there - especially from the KK contingent. It could be argued that, with such an array of talent, the WIT team could have won all of their Fitzgibbons under Bonnar’s tenure, without much input from him at all. Perhaps even Paul Bealin could have won a few Fitzgibbons for WIT, with such excellent hurlers at his disposal!

.[/quote]

In fairness plenty of lads are willing to write off davy’s achievement with LIT saying that anyone could win it with the talent at his disposal, the same can be said of bonner as he has as much talent available to him…Would I be right in saying that LIT and WIT have won the last 5 Fitzgibbons between them…

In the light of some of the comments levelled at Leitrim on this forum in the past, I am reminded of a quote from Babs Keating re: Offaly
“You can’t train donkeys to win derbies”.

[quote=“Boxtyeater”]In the light of some of the comments levelled at Leitrim on this forum in the past, I am reminded of a quote from Babs Keating re: Offaly
“You can’t train donkeys to win derbies”.[/quote]

think you should also remember what happened babs shortly after that comment and what subsequently happened offaly the same season

But shure’ Puke I tried, hard, hard, hard but couldn’t resist it. I have endured enough slings and arrows from the Wexicans to at least throw a snowball…
I wouldn’t be that ill but to wish them well in the appointment. Nothing but bravado and thunder now on this thread for months ahead.

Ah in fairness now boxty with the right man in place now i seriously expect wexford to be competing for silverware this year and i would fully expect them to run offaly close in division 2…

Bonnar interview in the Indo today below. Fooking hell, we might have a manager with some cop on.

Bonnar - Galway and Antrim is a challenge to us and it will give Leinster and us an impetus VS Meyler - whining about it.

Bonnar - We’re in Division 2 and it’s up to us to hurl our way out of it VS Meyler - I’ll complain non-stop in the media to ensure we stay in Division 1.

Little subtle things but at least it appears he has a semblance of sense unlike other previous incumbents.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/wexford-make-bonnar-an-offer-he-just-couldnt-refuse-1537099.html

Wexford make Bonnar an offer he just couldn’t refuse

WHEN Wexford called, Colm Bonnar knew he had to answer. What’s more, he had to say ‘yes’.

“It’s a big challenge but it’s also a big chance. I have plenty of experience as part of management teams so I’m now looking forward to putting my own stamp on things in Wexford,” said the former Tipperary double-All-Ireland medal-winner.

Bonnar takes over from John Meyler, whose departure last month left many people in Wexford with an uneasy feeling. In the circumstances, they will be pleased to see that the county board has made a well-thought out decision by appointing a man with the widest possible breadth of experience at all levels. Having been a central figure in three senior county managements this decade, he felt the time was right to move up to the No 1 position.

He worked with Gerald McCarthy in Waterford in 2000/2001 and remained part of the set-up when Justin McCarthy replaced his Cork colleague for a 2002 season which ended with a first Munster senior title success since 1963.

Bonnar remained with Waterford until the end of 2003 after which he accepted an invitation from former team-mate Ken Hogan to join the new Tipperary management. He served with Hogan in 2004-2005 before taking a break from the inter-county scene while continuing his involvement with Waterford IT where he is Sport and Student Development Officer. He felt that the inter-county batteries needed recharging, a process which is now complete so he is already looking forward to what will be his biggest challenge since his playing days during which he won All-Ireland senior medals with Tipperary in 1989 and 1991.

Bonnar arrives in Wexford at a time of uncertainty in the county. Meyler’s removal appeared unduly harsh, especially as his final game in charge ended in a one-point defeat against Waterford in the All-Ireland quarter-final. It suggested that, on their day, Wexford were a match for any opposition (except Kilkenny), yet the broader background wasn’t as encouraging.

They were relegated to Division Two of the Allianz League last spring, a setback which leaves them – and Bonnar – in a disadvantaged position as they look ahead to 2009.

It’s not something the new manager wishes to dwell on. He knows how the cards are stacked and regards his sole responsibility as playing them with maximum cleverness.

“Wexford are in Division Two and we have to deal with that. It’s not where you want to be but there are some good teams in the group so it will be very competitive. Winning promotion is the first priority but it won’t be easy,” said Bonnar.

With only one exit slot, winning promotion will indeed be quite difficult in a group which also features Offaly, Antrim, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Down and Kerry.

The Leinster championship draw hasn’t been especially kind to Wexford either, pitting them against an improving Offaly in the quarter-final. The arrival of Galway and Antrim will spice up the Leinster championship and while the Wexford hurling public weren’t particularly keen on the idea, Bonnar thinks it’s a progressive step.

“All the talk in recent years was about the Munster championship but with Galway and Antrim playing in Leinster next year, it will give it a new impetus. That has to be good for everybody,” said Bonnar.

Like all other managers, he will have to wait until January to begin training the panel but says he has plenty to do in the meantime to get everything in place for the big lift-off.

His co-selectors will be appointed over the next two weeks after which he will meet the players to outline his plans for 2009.

Heavy defeats at the hands of Kilkenny have tended to present Wexford hurling in a depressing light in recent years but then they aren’t the only side to struggle against Brian Cody’s champions.

Kilkenny apart, Wexford have turned in some encouraging championship performances, beating Tipp in the 2007 All-Ireland quarter-final and running Waterford to a point this year.

Prepared

“There’s very little between several counties. They can all beat each other on a given day. My aim with Wexford will be to have them prepared as well as they possibly can and to ensure that they go into games in the right frame of mind. After that anything is possible,” he said.

His appointment looks like a smart move by Wexford as he is extremely well regarded as a coach. It was important for them to deliver a well-respected figure and they have achieved that with Bonnar, who has been given a two-year term with a review at the end of next season.

Will his back room team be Wexford men, or will he bring his own men in?

I believe that his brothe cormac is joining the set up along with bobby ryan and one unnamed wexican(believed to be larry o gorman)…

Will you get out of it. Worst wum of the year.

Following on from Fitzy’s post and related to Menapian’s comments on the appointment too, I would hope to see some relatively recent retired Wexford players on his management team.

Bonnar’s taken this management role on the back of serving an apprenticeship under different Waterford and Tipperary managers and the best thing from a Wexford point of view would be if one of our former leaders on the field could work as part of Bonnar’s team and be ready to step up whenever he calls time himself.

I’m not doubting Bonnar’s commitment at all but, as an outside manager, he’s likely to give it 2 or 3 years before moving onto his next challenge, which could indeed be managing his native county. Any of the Tipp lads know why he was previously overlooked for ye’re job? Did he got for it after Hogan or after Babs?

But looking at it realistically, he’s hardly going to build up a dynasty in Wexford and oversee a 10 year period of domination. So, while I acknowledge the work Dunne, Dempsey, O’Connor, Byrne, Storey and the lads are doing at underage and recognise how important it is, I would like to see one or more of them involved in the senior set-up. After all, these young lads need to have a successful senior team to aspire to play for. 'Mon the fooking Wexford!

I would hope that people like Dempsey, Dunne, Storey etc etc would be involved with Bonnar, because if anything, while he doesn’t have oceans of experience as an intercounty manager, he will bring best practice in sprts coaching with him. Don’t underestimate his knowledge.

However, having seen the man in action at close quarters, I doubt very much this will be the case and he will bring his own people in, like it or not. And that would have been a condition of his accepting the position.

So short term it may be a great thing, but long term, if we’re hoping this will be the gentle easing in of the heroes of 96 to take us to glory in management positions, I very much doubt it.

However, Bonnar is a very intelligent man and may go down the path of involving some of the obvious ones, if only to build good will.

Birr defeated St Martin’s after extra time today, 2-19 to 2-16. I didn’t expect them to give Birr such a close game away from home to be honest.