Wexford GAA 2009

As Mac requested a 2009 thread for Wexford GAA

Draft football league fixtures for Wexford below, not a bad draw with four home games and three away. Tough division but if we can get results from our home games we should be safe and could even push for honors. Its going to be tough though, very tough. I can see Armagh itching to get revenge in the first game.

01.02.2009 (Sun)
Allianz GAA Football National League
Round 1

Roinn II
2.30pm Loch Garman v Ard Mhacha
2.30pm Fear Manach v Muineachn
2.30pm Corcaigh v An Mh
2.30pm Laois v Cill Dara

14.02.2009 (Sat)
Round 2

Roinn II
7.30pm Ard Mhacha v Laois
7.30pm An Mh v Fear Manach

15.02.2009 (Sun)
Round 2

Roinn II
2.30pm Cill Dara v Corcaigh
2.30pm Muineachn v Loch Garman

07.03.2009 (Sat)
Round 3

Roinn II
7.30pm An Mh v Laois
7.30pm Corcaigh v Fear Manach
7.30pm Ard Mhacha v Muineachn

08.03.2009 (Sun)
Round 3

Roinn II
2.30pm Cill Dara v Loch Garman

14.03.2009 (Sat)
Round 4

Roinn II
7.30pm Laois v Corcaigh

15.03.2009 (Sun)
Round 4

Roinn II
2.30pm Fear Manach v Ard Mhacha
2.30pm Muineachn v Cill Dara
2.30pm Loch Garman v An Mh

21.03.2009 (Sat)
Round 5

Roinn II
7.30pm An Mh v Muineachn
7.30pm Laois v Fear Manach
7.30pm Corcaigh v Loch Garman

22.03.2009 (Sun)
Round 5

Roinn II
2.30pm Cill Dara v Ard Mhacha

28.03.2009 (Sat)
Round 6

Roinn II
7.30pm Ard Mhacha v An Mh

29.03.2009 (Sun)
Round 6

Roinn II
2.30pm Loch Garman v Laois
2.30pm Fear Manach v Cill Dara
2.30pm Muineachn v Corcaigh

12.04.2009 (Sun)
Round 7

Roinn II [Final Round]
2.30pm Loch Garman v Fear Manach
2.30pm Laois v Muineachn
2.30pm An Mh v Cill Dara
2.30pm Corcaigh v Ard Mhacha

you have to be fucking kidding with this thread

I reckon we could win the 4 home matches. After that, I’d fancy us to beat Kildare away. I think Cork away might be too much but I think we could beat Monaghan in Clones. If that pans out then Division 1 sounds very realistic.

Hope Shane Cullen stays around. Be fantastic if Kinsella came home from Hong Kong. We’d have some set of mobile scoring forwards then.

Rumour has it Shane will be on his travels before too long. Which would be a pity, he is a real stylish player with a good footballing brain. He’d be a huge addition to the team. Hopefully Jason will have a little word in his ear.

Any decent young hurlers/footballers to keep an eye on next year…

paedo

typical…

sorry , was meant to type padjo - i heard padjo was a good stick hurler

Looking forward to the road trips already. A Saturday night game under lights in Cork has weekend away on the piss written all over it. We should be aiming for promotion to Division 1 and four home games is a bonus. As an aside, it’s funny how we always get Meath at home. I make this the 4th home league fixture in a row against them.

I’ve been fairly impressed with Willie Devereaux. Played corner back for the minors this year and wing back for the Martins yesterday, though it’ll probably be a few years before he makes it.

Tommy Barron is a serious prospect - played U21 this year and scored 1-3 or 4 before he had to go off injured.

I’d like to see David Murphys younger brother get a run at full back in the O’Byrne cup. Maybe that Hughes lad from Kilanerin who was on the U21 team as well. Would like to see the likes of Ben Brosnan and Shane Roche getting extended runs in the O’Byrne cup and league but if we want to get promotion we might need our best 15 out from the start.

Hurling wise, Nicky Kirwan looks like he did decent for Oulart yesterday. Dermot Flynn will probably be looking to get more game time in goal. I think we need to cement Rossi into full back and DOC into centre back. Get Richie Kehoe back with Stamp, Mick Jacob, Roche and Travers and I think we have the makings of a decent backline. I’d put Gizzy and Redmond midfield. And then the forwards are all up for grabs bar having Quigley at 11. Would love to see some forwards coming through.

Christ, this makes for fairly depressing reading. Away trips to Kerry, Down and Antrim!

Wexford’s NHL Fixtures

08.02.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 1
Roinn II
2.30pm Ciarra v Loch Garman

15.02.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 2
Roinn II
2.30pm Loch Garman v Laois

01.03.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 3
Roinn II
2.30pm Aontroim v Loch Garman

22.03.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 4
Roinn II
2.30pm Loch Garman v Iar Mh

29.03.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 5
Roinn II
2.30pm An Dn v Loch Garman

05.04.2009 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 6
Roinn II
2.30pm Loch Garman v Ubh Fhail

19.04.2008 (Sun) - Allianz GAA Hurling National League Round 7
Roinn II [Final Round]
2.30pm Loch Garman v Ceatharlach

Ah thats taking the piss altogether. If we dont get out of this league we should just give up.

Any news yet of the NHL fixtures?

Look back up a couple of posts there - Bandage posted them. Depressing reading.

I read in the paper yesterday that these NFL and NHL fixtures are a provisional set that have been leaked out and they’re not definitive by any means. Apparently, they were circulated to the various county boards for discussion and the boards have been invited to come back with any comments/grievances over timing, venues etc so they could be amended again.

With Shane Cullen on board now and David Kinsella returning we’d have to be favourites to win the all-ireland next year. Good times

Kinsella return a boost for Wexford
03 December 2008

2008 surprise packets Wexford have been boosted by the return of midfielder Diarmuid Kinsella from Hong Kong ahead of the new season.

The Castletown clubman travelled to the Far East in March 2007 after expressing frustration at the GAAs disciplinary system following his failure to have an eight-week ban lifted. Kinsella received the suspension after he was sent off in a National League game against Tipperary, but despite being vindicated by his Tipp opponent Michael Phelan, the ban stood.

Kinsella will be given time to build up his fitness and football skills before being brought back into the inter-county fold.

Welcoming his return, Wexford manager Jason Ryan said: "Diarmuids return will be a boost for Castletown and hopefully Wexford.

“But we must not lose sight of the fact that he has been away from football at the top level for two years. Hopefully, he can get back to the levels required.”

[quote=“padjo”]With Shane Cullen on board now and David Kinsella returning we’d have to be favourites to win the all-ireland next year. Good times

Kinsella return a boost for Wexford
03 December 2008

2008 surprise packets Wexford have been boosted by the return of midfielder Diarmuid Kinsella from Hong Kong ahead of the new season.

The Castletown clubman travelled to the Far East in March 2007 after expressing frustration at the GAAs disciplinary system following his failure to have an eight-week ban lifted. Kinsella received the suspension after he was sent off in a National League game against Tipperary, but despite being vindicated by his Tipp opponent Michael Phelan, the ban stood.

Kinsella will be given time to build up his fitness and football skills before being brought back into the inter-county fold.

Welcoming his return, Wexford manager Jason Ryan said: "Diarmuids return will be a boost for Castletown and hopefully Wexford.

“But we must not lose sight of the fact that he has been away from football at the top level for two years. Hopefully, he can get back to the levels required.”[/quote]

He’s been away a long time. Will do well to get his starting place but I’d like to see himself and Bradley in midfield next year.

He’s a pretty good footballer and will definitely add to our squad depth anyway. Plus he’s really versatile too so I regard this as a positive.

any retirements?? ye would have a forward line as good as anyone if ye can get cullen on broad