Wexford GAA 2013

It’s a strange one KIB our schools have been competitive in the last ten years (mainly GCC, with approx half the team KK men).

I dont think football has become any more popular tbh, the same clubs are still winning…

It seems that the hurling snobbery in the county is letting us down, one of the reasons why a district championship was proposed.

i dont believe are hurlers are any worse than other counties, but it seems that its enough for them to represent wexford and do no more thee seems to be a severe lack of ambition.

What kind of structures and development squads are in place in Wexford?

dp

thers an Advanced School of Hurling for ages u11 u12 u13 u14 and after tha i beleive there are development squads.

coaches travel the national schools during the year to pass on the skills of the game, i bleiev there are currently 6 hurling coaches doing this and one football.

barring that im not so sure, Gman would probably be able to enlgithen you a bit more.

I wouldn’t believe gmans radio

The recent lack of success is more to do with player development than a single weak chairman. Maybe a number of weak chairmen over the last 40 years since we were consistently competitive.

Who should take the blame for player development?

I don’t know. Is it all males between the ages of 20 and 40 born Wexford that either weren’t good enough to play for Wexford or were good enough and weren’t good enough to win for Wexford?

Is it anyone who has an interest in hurling who hasn’t bother their arse doing anything? Is it those who had an interest but not a clue about what they were doing? Is it Brian Cowen? Bertie?

Deary fucking me I’m a year behind the times.

And there’s a whopping lack of knowledge about hurling too. A big crowd on big days but a relatively small core of passionate knowledgeable people.

Things are changing though. Clubs and schools are producing better players. Trouble is other counties are moving ahead too and we’re always playing catch up.

Football has had little or no impact – it’s always been there. Maybe a bit in the sense that lads like Chin and McGovern would historically have always picked hurling in the first instance but that I feel is more a reflection on Jason Ryan than the sports.

The “development” of football is an interesting concept in Wexford because it was more by accident that design. Good work in a few schools was about it. There was no scheme or plan.

A decent crop of u21s came through in 01/02 and supplemented the likes of Fordre, Hegarty, Wallace and Morris. They were a fiercely committed bunch and this combined with some excellent managers have made them fairly competitive without winning anything of note. But in fairness, it’s infinitely easier to make a football team competitive because organisation and fitness will bring you a long way. They’ve also had forwards that have been of the best in their generation – Forde, Barry and Lyng. None of whom came through any sort of “development” route. Barry schooled in Roscrea while Lyng played a bit of GGA in Clonard and Peters before hitting for Preston.

Unlike football, ability is essential in hurling and also Wexford haven’t fluked forwards like the 3 football stars.

I’ve no idea what hurling development the “hurling” clubs have prevented.

So in summary weak leadership over the last 40 years has us in the mess we’re in. Get Ned Quinn to Wexford pronto.

Fuck sake that was a long post and a waste of my time.

For those who want bullet points:[list]
[]We’re shit;
[
]Because we just are.
[/list]

who?

What are you talking about? Editing me in a quote FFS.

who are the 2 propsects who arent playing u21 this year?

also you might want to see someone about your anger issues.

you’d be right too.

Following on counts post, the development squads start at U14, but cater for U13 in that age bracket too. From then on there are 15/16/17 and then minor squads, but the 15/16/17 can only use players who are up to the age, cant use players who are eligible for younger teams. As count says, there is a serious inbalance of paid hurling coaches to paid football coaches, think it may even be 7-1, and one who crosses over into both.

The main issues with these hurling squads though is that some of them, and in particular the coaches, have a win at all costs mentality, and will have anything up to 50 players involved, and have been heard to say they couldnt give a shite about number 29 on their squad, he wont be winning anything. Dave Guiney is over the whole underage coaching, and in fairness to him, he is trying to change this mentality and if there are 2 teams within a squad, he wants them split evenly so they all get well matched games. Too often we have won tournaments where the A team hammers opposition, and the B team gets hammered.

There is a winter core and strength program set up too for hurlers only, for some reason footballers are not allowed participate or set up their one. This seems to be working well with a large number attending throughout all age groups. Despite all the calls that football is hurting the hurling, on the vast majority of the development squads, there are very, very few dual players. Pretty much all play hurling only.

New changes are being proposed to have up to 4 seperate teams within a development squad, ie having anywhere up to 120 players being brought in with a minimum of 3 from every club in the county. Whether this can work or not who knows, it will take a lot of resources and more volunteer coaches than there are available at present to make it work, but if it does, there could be a decent knock on effect for btoh clubs and counties.

Some clubs arent partcipating enough with development squads, they prefer to see club championships won ahead of their players making county teams. Can be frustrating, but I suppose they see it that very few actually make it in the county set up long term, so they’d prefer make them better club players than give a crack at county.

As appendage said, there was very little actual structures in place for either hurling or football over the last 20 years. Even as it is, there is not great well run structures, a lot of it is still all over the place. But the new senior chairman and Guiniey, whilst disagreeing with each other at times, are both trying to implement changes, and at least they are trying to change instead of the ‘we’re alright Jack’ mentality that preceded them both for a large number of years. There are more and more younger coaches giving back into the squads and the old win at all costs coaches are slowly being fazed out. It’ll still be a while yet before things start coming right again though.

There’s only 1. I was wrong. There, I said it.

who is it?

I’ll not be naming him because I’m odd that way but it may have been the Wexford People this week.

Fine.

Does anyone else know?

I hae not been privvy to the local paper this week.

It’s Diarmuid O’Keeffe, pal, and Dunne mentions it in that Examiner article from yesterday. He’s going on a J1 jaunt to America and I think the young man is dead right.

I wholly agree with you bandage, a break at that age is great for a young man. he’ll come back hungrier.

Congratulations on your return to competitive association football.

Wexford GAA are currently streaming the county championship draws.

Senior Football:

Group A
Horeswood, Shelmaliers, Kilanerin, Castletown, Gusserane, St Martin’s.

Group B
Adamstown, Starlights, Duffry Rovers, St Anne’s, Fethard, Sarsfields.

Group A looks a good bit more competitive than Group B.

And Senior Hurling:

Group A
Rapparees, Adamstown, Oilgate/Oylgate/Oylegate-Glenrien, Faythe Harriers, Ferns, Shelmaliers.

Group B
St Martin’s, Cloughbawn, St Anne’s, Oulart-The Ballagh, Glynn-Barntown, Rathnure.

Easy draws for the Wexford town sides.

You have to be happy with both draws in fairness bandage. Definitely on the easier side on both.