What Climate Crisis?

https://x.com/caulmick/status/1776875775272051036?s=46

:grin::grin:

I would assume any diesel generators would be purely there for redundancy purposes. Data centres would always have multiple power sources.

2 Likes

So.

The lads creating absolute rubbish content on Twitter moaning about data centres using energy.

I think they actually think that the cloud is actually a cloud.

Separately wouldn’t we be better if every business has their own server operating in isolation with all the efficiencies and enhanced security that would bring.

1 Like

That idea is actually gathering pace and I’ve seen a lot of talk about cloud to on-prem migration.

Outside of email, I’ve always tried to keep as much critical data on premises as possible. I’d much rather know exactly what protections there is place and the perimeters protected by my own equipment, rather than the relying on the word of a cloud company with systems being accessed worldwide.

Really?

I was being sarcastic.

SMEs trying to stay up to date is a nightmare.

Data centres surely more efficient than stand alone set ups energy wise?

As with most of these things, it’s actually $$$ that are changing views. Trying running a server or VM in Azure as an SME and you won’t be long getting a shock with pricing.

Still if i was setting up a company in the morning for less than 60 people I’d go 100% cloud only. Any bigger I’d be seriously weighing up my options.

A quick back track there remembering the free advice dispensed 4 years ago.

1 Like

It hasn’t been great either.

MS appear to have not nailed it with Azure.

Their AI offering is not great either. Trying to force feed it too quickly.

1 Like

It does depend on what sector you are working in. Eg a business selling wholesale stock versus a professional services firm.

Yip. It’s very undercooked. After testing I wouldn’t be recommending Copilot unless for end users who would really commit to using it. A busy person with a high charge out rate who was tech proficient would get value from it but it looks like a waste of money otherwise.

They had a big launch morning in the marker about 6 weeks ago.

They had a fireside chat set up with the change manager lead in Bord Gais.

The MS lad was trying to get her to say it was deadly and she totally sat on the fence.

The demo was a shambles.

I was there. The demo was hilariously bad, but reflective of the product in real life. “Hotel wifi”.

Wow!

Incredible. Imagine a) chancing wifi or b) pretending it was the cause of the shit show.

The summarised emails that take a week to read.

The useless brandless power point.

A decent swag bag and the food / coffee was ok for a free event.

1 Like

Ya the bag was decent to be fair.

Also the guy on stage said you could schedule prompts. I have a few useful prompts, tried to schedule them after the event but research showed you can’t schedule prompts.

Ok guys,keep it on the appropiate thread

Should the hotel WiFi have a dedicated channel for the presentation?

Or have a cat6 line for it?

The wifi was grand.

The technology was cat.

2 Likes

Some rain in Dubai. I’d say that would be rare enough.

Cloud seeding. This us why you shouldn’t try to control nature

Worst rain since records began.

(The records began in 1949)

1 Like