What level of Football did you reach?

He lasted about 2 months over there. I’d say that must have just before he went over if it was '99. Think himself and Doyle are the same age and would have been only 16 at the time.

1 Like

Once had to play Castleview away on a hoor of a cold Saturday morning in the cup. There were broken bottles on the sidelines and I remember the ref having to clear one goal of a rake of empty cans and bottles.

We went up 1 nil early. Proceeded to get lumps kicked out of us. They’d a few lads who could really play ball. We go in to half time 2-1 down. We all just want to fuck off home at this stage. Sulky goes onto the pitch at half time. Makes shit of the pitch. We all think it is fairly hilarious. Ref has had enough and calls the game off and says he’s going to award us the game. Castleview lads go mental. Their manager has a go at the ref. He’s backed up by his players but then has a change of heart and starts roaring at his own players to cop on. We’re walking off the pitch and all we hear and see is their manager as red as their jerseys f-ing and blinding at his lads. We end up getting battered by Wilton in the next round. Castleview invited us back for a friendly later on in the year but I didn’t play as we’d a hurling game the same day and foreign games were for fitness only according to the GAA club by laws.

3 Likes

I got asked to play Limerick u15 soccer after the manager saw me play a Gaelic football county final. I’d played up front alright locally the year before and was fast so ball over the top job and burn on, got a few handy goals…

Anyway He sent me out a €25 voucher for shinpads & I bought a class adidas white t shirt in Marathon sports on cruises street. I didn’t bother with the soccer, hurling was where it was at.

1 Like

We hosted Tramore athletic in one of those national cups at Youths level. There was some brawl at the end of it, just pure viciousness. To be fair they all came down to the local for a few pints afterwards and we all had a laugh.

Tramore are from Douglas :grinning:
Middle class as some might say

3 Likes

Are they not in Ballinlough

I’d consider anything off the south Douglas road up to Douglas rd as being in Douglas…anything at the other side is ballinloigh ie between Douglas rd and Blackrock

1 Like

I see the address is South Douglas Road, Ballinlough,
It’s a long way from Ballinlough in my estimation, @Locke is down that side, maybe he’ll adjudicate

Kevin would have only been 15 playing that game, turned 16 later in the year. Of the team when he was up to the age, he wouldnt have stood out massively either alright though, he got a good break making the Irish team for the delayed world cup when he hadnt made the initial squad. Sometimes its just a bit of luck and making the most of it is the difference.

1 Like

Did ye understand a word hed say?

We played there too when we went on our run for the school. Intimidating spot to say the least.

2 Likes

When we were going for the MJL it was between us and Everton. I knew nothing about them, and we played them around Christmas up there (by the airport). Wasn’t the best of days so not too many at it, 1-1 draw.
They came to ours with around 3 or four games to play, pretty much a title decider. They brought so many to that midweek evening game that they were intimidating us on our own pitch! Never saw the like of it. There were young lads planting pebbles at me in the goal. Another 1-1 draw (their goal was not my fault obvs) and we went on to win it out. They drew a home game which we went up to see and we beat Leeds last day of the season. It was 20 yrs ago now, Leeds Utd got relegated from the premiership the same day.

3 Likes

Tramore are Douglas, about a 4 min walk from my house. However, when you put in our leafy T12 Eircode, it will sometimes say Ballinlough.

I just played a final at a 20000 seater stadium in front of 2000 people.
O45’s, the pinnacle. It does not get higher then this.

11 Likes

This thread was made for you, mate. What you are doing right now is both outstanding and envious.

1 Like

You’re an inspiration to all of us mate. Congrats.

2 Likes

did ye win?

Yep. 2-0.

Weekend away for us at the end of this month, which should get messy.

3 Likes

He’s on the beer, on the beeeeeeeeeeeeer, FITZY FITZY FITZ AY AY AY!!!

2 Likes

so you’re telling me there’s a chance after 40.

I played an over 35’s game last year and there was young lads still togging out for MSL teams ringed in. Fucking impossible

2 Likes