Whatsapp as gaeilge, ‘Big Gaeilge’

I would think that eminently sensible tbh. The corollary of what I wrote above is there is absolutely zero guarantee that someone with honours Irish can teach it.

1 Like

Don’t think it’s about being fair …It’s a closed shop , they want it that way .for example a french person with a degree in education form france would struggle to get a job teaching french over an Irish person who done french as a subject at third level .

One of the basics being Irish?

Is he hinting that those from diverse backgrounds are incapable of doing well at Irish ???

You want to timetable teacher changeovers in primary school, including for infants? Are you mad?

No mate, basic primary school level Irish.
It’s always seemed a strange hurdle to me.
You’d honestly hope that anyone reared in Ireland with the ability to teach should be able to pass honours Irish, but there are lots of kids now who enter at secondary school from abroad, who may be brilliant teachers, and this rule is weighted against them. It seems neither fair, nor merited.

1 Like

Err. Why not mate? Some of the best schools in the world do.

Do they? For infants? Sounds like it’d be carnage.

No it works fine.

It’s a very interesting idea, it’s definitely one of the main challenges in teaching at primary level, you really do need a very decent level of Irish to teach it beyond infant level, I don’t believe it’s ever been given any real consideration, I like it. I had to do my leaving very in Irish in my late 30s and I got a B1 to my great surprise, but I found it extremely difficult at university level and had little confidence in myself when I was teaching it initially at 4th class level,

2 Likes

You are spot on. But there is a bigger debate to be had as to why we need Irish to be a compulsory subject at all. Surely we could let all the language enthusiasts send their children to Gaelscoils if that’s their hearts desire and the rest of the population could be educated with an additional subject that might be of some use to them in their daily lives. We have wasted a massive amount of educational resources in teaching this toy language and we waste massive resources generally on the spurious proposition that we are a bilingual society.

4 Likes

We’ve never properly committed to promoting the language and we can’t make the decision to get rid of it. I’d take the opposite view to you though, I’d promote it more.

2 Likes

To what purpose?

First thing I’ve ever agreed with him on.

What purpose is poetry? Culture is important, we don’t support it half enough in Ireland and yet it’s what we are known for.

2 Likes

The Irish language cottage industries led by @Juhniallio have assembled. Big Gaeilge will never give up their power and privilege.

2 Likes

The culture that we are known for is all in the English language.

1 Like

Going a bit off topic here but I see Telegram gained 70 million new users during the outage on Monday evening.

1 Like

Cost of this is €2.7m, how many social houses could this build?

I’d tend to disagree but we’ll hardly sort out today.