Who will get out of Munster
  • Clare
  • Cork
  • Limerick
  • Tipperary
  • Waterford
0 voters

The box office will be opening soon.

I actually could nearly have posted the same preview as last year.

Wins for Clare and Waterford on the opening day would really be the best thing for the competition.

In all the years of the round robin so far there has been little enough last day excitement. Mainly this has been due to Waterford being shit and almost a guaranteed two points for the other four teams.

A Limerick defeat in Ennis would have them needing to get a result against a fresh Tipperary side a week later.

It’s not inconceivable Limerick could have two defeats in the first week and be under serious pressure.

The less said about Leinster the better. Kilkenny and Galway on the beach up to the Leinster final. Third placed team will be cannon fodder in an AI QF.

What are you saying about last day? Last year final day of round robin was epic. Limerick v Cork was essentially a knock out game and the result of the Tipp Waterford match meant that Limerick and not Tipp advanced to the Munster final.

1 Like

Yeah, it was a good final day in fairness. I was at Tipp’s dreadful performance v Waterford and at one stage, it looked like we were out (a Cork v Limerick draw scenario I think). Plenty of excitement in the 2023 finale.

I think we’re in the usual scenario of Limerick and any 2 of the other 4. In the last few years, I’ve always said Clare before a ball was pucked. I’ve a small feeling they won’t get out this year. Just an unqualified hunch. But anything could happen in Munster really.

5 years knocking on the door without any silverware is tough going particularly when you’re just a whisker away. I think the opening game against Limerick will define Clares season. A win or a draw could galvanise them. A defeat could see them fall away like Waterford in 2022. Waterford put everything into the Limerick game and fell asunder after the defeat in 2022

I’d have had Clare down as 2nd in the Munster power rankings after Limerick but if they were to lose on the opening weekend they would face a daunting enough schedule with Cork and Tipp both (A). I have a feeling Clare will draw with Limerick in Ennis though.

I wouldn’t have said that either Galway or Kilkenny are significantly better than Wexford. If Wexford could manage to beat Dublin then there might be some kind of peril involved for the big two. Leinster gets a bad rap but in fairness it provided a very dramatic conclusion in 2019 and the whole Wexford/Westmeath relegation saga last season was entertaining for the neutral as well.

Generally, Clare would feel they have a huge chance to beat Limerick in Ennis (fairly obviously, they beat us in Limerick last year). They’re generally hard to beat there and have been very good in Munster the last few years.

However, if Kelly & Taylor are absent for that game, that would be absolutely massive.

Limerick generally let Kelly do whatever and he tends to take full advantage of that while Taylor has also been massive for Clare in recent games against Limerick; his pace carrying the ball through the middle has hurt us.

I just wonder how they will match up against Limerick without those two. Now, if Limerick are as one-paced as they were in the round robin game last year, it won’t matter but I imagine they’ll be fairly wary after the events of 2023 to try and start much better.

1 Like

Tend to agree. I dont think Limerick took Munster for granted last year but in trying to time their run to peak at the right time, they very nearly came a cropper. I think they’ll be more tuned in this year. I think its vital that they pick up at least one draw from the Clare and Cork matches

Tipp v Waterford was a dead rubber for one of those sides. The other - Tipp - knew they’d already made it into the top 3.

With Limerick V Cork there was the possibility it wasn’t really knock out, though. Had that been a draw and Waterford won, Limerick and Cork would both have advanced.

What I meant is that, the final day has never come down to two winner takes all matches. One or both matches level going into injury team. A last puck of the ball free to qualify one team and eliminate the other etc.

Limerick v Cork was exactly that. The fact that Waterford pulled off a win is irrelevant. It was winner takes all in the Gaelic grounds that day.

Can’t see Limerick getting out.

Hannon and Lynch crooked. Hayes most likely not available.

I’ve gone for Clare, Tipp and Cork

1 Like

I agree,
I can’t see Limerick getting out

By all accounts a few lads have looked a bit off this year on the metrics… I heard Byrnes, WOD and Dan Morrissey were way down on fitness tests compared to last year.

Hego is flying tho.

I’d say since about 2017, Kilkenny have been more or less at the same level as Wexford. Wexford on head to heads have more or less lorded it over Kilkenny.

It says a lot about the respective mentality of both counties that Kilkenny still keep falling into All Ireland Finals while Wexford have only managed to win one Leinster and provide all kinds of comedy shows.

Set your own thread up. This is a Munster thread.

1 Like

You’re a nawful man

Is Lynch injured again? No luck last 2 years. Hannon is nearly bate I’d say. Hence trying different options at 6.

Yeah both probably won’t play much… And Kyle neither.