Why should there be jobs set aside for women in universities?

I can agree with that argument in the private sector and have seen it myself. But it’s academia we are talking about, they do fuck all anyway.

1 Like

The misogynists will be up in about an hour for another whinge.

5 Likes

How can offering the posts to females only be called equality of opportunity?

I agree that more needs to be done if they are satisfied that women are not getting a fair crack of the whip in terms of promotion, opportunity, etc but I disagree with this method.

It’s the 21st century. You don’t hire the person best suited to the job. You hire someone who tilts the gender imbalance. Or the non gender

Being a woman is the new being a black

Is there any evidence whatsover that a 50/50 gender balance (or indeed any balance at all) is beneficial? There is hardly a job on earth, nor pastime/hobby, nor TV programme, nor product that would appeal to men and women exactly equally.

No idea mate.

They should really pay these fortunate women who end up in these roles 500 or 600 times the market rate as it’d help address the gender pay gap within academia.

I always think of that joke when coming in to land at Shannon or Dublin and the pilot coming on announcing to set you watch back to 1965

Yes actually. The research is mainly on boards of companies or organisations or other such committees. It shows that committees are increasingly more effective the more diverse they are in terms of background and experience.

It’s an interesting one because it means that at top senior management level, if all the other senior managers are of a type, the best person for the job is anything but that type.

cooks, cleaners, fair enough…

Takes me back to the days in UL, when the cleaning ladies used to knock on the door of the jacks and walk in even if you were having a piss. They’d be cleaning up and there’d be a lad in a cubicle grunting shitting his lungs out for all to hear…

1 Like

They still do that!

1 Like

So not rugby supporting middle class males or females then.

Indeed.

That doesn’t mean it would have to be 50/50.

were you the lad cleaning the jacks?

You asked if any balance at all if beneficial. I answered to say it was.

he asked if 50/50 gender balance was beneficial, you said as much diversity as possible. Totally different things.
It doesn’t have to be a woman/man to have diversity.

2 Likes

He said “or indeed any balance at all”.

which I ignored because it is illogical. balance generally means 50/50