Why should there be jobs set aside for women in universities?

So not 50/50 but just some diversityā€¦which is what they have now.

I dont have any problem with diversity, so long as it is achieved by merit alone. If there are no barriers to entry and progress, which there might well be, then everything else should fall into place. Iā€™d prefer them to look at why women arenā€™t getting into these positions and, if they determine it to be a problem, then deal with it, rather than just conjure up new women-only positions

My point was that seeking a 50/50 gender breakdown in any field is almost unnatural as so many jobs tend to be favoured by either of the genders.

I think the measure is supposed to be on 50% of new positions, isnā€™t it?

This article here gives an account of some promotion competitions that went in NUIG that came out the wrong end of high court decisions. This example would suggest to me that there are barriers and that women have been overlooked for promotion despite being stronger on merit.

I think the measure is supposed to be on 50% of new positions, isnā€™t it?

Women not hallucinating about glass ceilings in Irish universities (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/women-not-hallucinating-about-glass-ceilings-in-irish-universities-1.3696731

No.

1 Like

could I realistically challenge in the high courts if I was an equal or stronger candidate than a woman who applied but she got the role to fill a quota?

does having roles for genders not fly in the face of equality in the first place?

It would suggest there are barriers yes, at least at NUIG.

I dont see how how creating these roles exclusively for women will change that, and I dont see how interviewers in these universities can be fully impartial and judge applicants on their merit if they have to also meet gender quotas.

Why should there be jobs set aside for women in universities?

How else are they going to achieve 50% representation?

Iā€™m sure you could if you wanted to.

Weā€™re talking about new positions. So if a university creates two new lecturer positions, one must go to a woman, how can anyone really have a problem with that?

what about transgenders and those, should there be one set aside for them also?

this thread will be like a magnet for the TFK misogyny crew

1 Like

Well if there are two men who are better applicants, one of them could have an issue.

What if the women who applied are sub standard and three men turned down are far more accomplished and perfect for the job? This creates as much division as the old system as people will naturally hold the view that they only got the job for having tits and a fanny.

2 Likes

Yeā€™re getting awful hysterical over this.

Wonder giving token jobs

Why are you against women getting jobs Joe?

95% of all refuse collectors are men, donā€™t see a clamour for gender equality there

3 Likes

Great argument Art.

1 Like

Wait until the Superdad women haters see their little girls being passed over for career opportunities in the future.

1 Like

as a golden circle senior civil servant, nepotism still rules.

Unequally Iam against its hard enough to get a accemic