Wild Mushrooms

Wouldn’t eat field mushrooms. Foraging 101. They are too low down. Every beast that has passed them has had a piss on them.

1 Like

Just like that

They’re a product of piss in most cases. Any field with sheep grazing this time of year will be full of mushrooms. Uric acid in their piss is rocket fuel for mushrooms.

3 Likes

Would you pick random ones in the woodland? Seems dodgy.

if you know you know, some daft cunts on here who can’t tell the difference between magic mushrooms and the ones you ate :smile:

5 Likes

my grandfather had a great way of putting it for when we’d be out in the fields and I’d point out the magic mushrooms, he advised me I’d end up seriously ill in hospital to put it mildly

1 Like

Fond memories of heading off early arriving back with mushrooms strung on grass stems, cooking them straight on the range top with a bit of salt and the juice in the middle. My mother used to boil the rest up in milk.

4 Likes

You could legally buy magic mushrooms up until 2004 when some eejet jumped off an apartment balcony and got them banned.

1 Like

why would you buy when you can just pick them for free

1 Like

Why do all these fellas that think they can fly not just take off from the ground

5 Likes

By God, I’ll be up in the morning early for a walk down the fields to gather a bag of them, you can’t beat a few wild field mushrooms off the pan in the morning

1 Like

I love the juice off them

Just the juice, you’d hardly drink the juice would ya?

Would have to disagree strongly there. I take the point in general as fair but in practice this point is rarely applicable. The only entity that could have urinated on those mushrooms was a field mouse or a shrew. Would live with that bouquet.

Mushrooms in photo were 5m job from a field in which there have been no livestock (bullocks, in this instance) for several days. There are three productive fields together – in every sense of ‘productive’: grass when there is grass hardly anywhere else. Really good land, old pasture.

The bullocks there get shunted between a massive 30/40 acre field and two much smaller ones. The middle field, which is the smallest field, remains the most productive spot over many years for mushrooms – probably because it is remarkably well sheltered. As I bent down to pick this afternoon, I could feel the heat radiating up from the ground on the back of my hand.

While field mushrooms are totally weird and totally unpredictable, the one constant requirement is this sort of ground temperature. Nature’s glasshouse…

1 Like

Throw them into your cornflakes and fire up a few photos mate

Not sure about correctness of this point. I cannot recall ever getting a mushroom where sheep were grazing. And I am, believe me, obsessed with finding mushrooms.

Then again, Kilkenny is not noted for sheep…

Old pasture is the constant.

Corn flakes wouldn’t be for me pal, porridge with milk straight out of the bulk tank for me, better again just after milking, you wouldn’t even have to warm it up

2 Likes

To me, a gourmand like your good self is really missing out. To me, field mushrooms and ceps – beyond oysters and scallops – are the best things to eat outside of the eyed.

Extremely dodgy…

If I may butt in, FO’D is not advocating same.

Send on a picture of the finished product I want to see how you made a bollix of it.