Wild Mushrooms

Anyone interested in this topic? Perhaps not…

Got first bag this afternoon. Flush likely in next few days, I would say.

Only broach because shared information and knowledge can be useful. Secretive topic…

3 Likes

Ballybrit in September is the spot. Also a few golf courses would be highly regarded

1 Like

For which kind? Same as my photo?

PM sent

You can lock this thread for members only viewing if you wish

Are they hallucinogenic

Thanks. Lock it, if people prefer. No preference, myself.

But: god no… Wild field mushrooms, the tastiest item you could ever eat.

Was just hoping to swop a few harmless (gourmet) notes. And maybe someone could tell me where I might pick some ceps.

That sort of craic…

By the way, magic mushrooms are extremely hard on your kidneys. Not worth the metabolic hassle, in my view.

1 Like

Would mushrooms be harder on the kidneys than whiskey is.on the liver?

2 Likes

You have me there…

I will plump for the former scenario.

13 Likes

Good man. Same story…

They look like they came from the one clump of grass as you headed back in the way from a near field.

1 Like

How do you know if a mushroom is magic or just a disappointing tasteless fungus?

They’ve started growing in a strange figure of 8 formation at midfield of our GAA field the past couple of years. Often came home from a Saturday morning training with a bag full of them

It’s a popular pastime in Poland in the autumn. Every year you hear a story of someone suffering a kidney failure after eating something poisonous.

That’s the fairies.

4 Likes

There’s a crop of magic mushrooms in a wood in East Wexford.

1 Like

Derek’s next tactical innovation

4 Likes

Pretty much, it can be hard to get them fresh unless you are covering every acre of ground every day.

I’ve the promise of a few fresh mackerel being dropped off tomorrow morning too. No idea if they compliment each other but we’ll make it work.

Jaysus, sin é tough one. But, first and foremost: never ever eat a mushroom about which you are not a million per cent.

I am not interested in magic mushrooms whatsoever. Other lads can give their tuppence.

There are books. But, short answer: you have to grow up with mushrooms – same as with a lot of other things. You learn more from your parents in one walk than ever from a book. Still, some books – and YouTube, increasingly – are not to be scorned.

I do not think you can confuse (delicious) field mushrooms with too much else – and not readily with poisonous items. The pink gills – running to brown as they age – are significant.

The main problem is a yoke called ‘yellow stainer’. I bring a penknife to snick stalks in the field, which eliminates a yellow stainer on the rare occasion I have run across them:

That said, someone once gave me a package of mushrooms – later realized to include yellow stainers. As I fried the package’s contents, the smell of ink and muted urine – yellow stainers’ signature when cooked – was unignorable. Had to throw out the whole lot – still more acutely annoying because 2017 was a poor summer for mushrooms.

But this thread is not for such advice…

A slab of butter will be the catalyst.

2 Likes

Would only ever stick to your standard flat field mushroom. Wouldnt risk pick anything else myself. Not a huge mushroom fan anyways but a few big flat caps this time of year smothered in salt and butter is hard bet.

3 Likes