Winter Olympics '22 - Beijing Edition

Eve Muirhead nails the crucial hammer stone to take two shots and the match.

The Scotch did a right job on the previously 5 and 2 Japs in this morning’s women’s curling match.

Had a wee skim watch through the crucial ends and it was much more comprehensive than the 8-6 scoreline suggests.

After a very spluttering start in this tournament I think Eve and the girls could be about to do an Italy 1982 on this one.

Elizabeth Swaney is my new hero.

1 Like

Is this shit still on

What a story!

Eve and the girls have done it. :clap:

They’re into the semi-finals after a 6-5 win over Canada in their final round robin game.

Producing the goods when everything is on the line is the hallmark of greatness.

An hour of desperately tense curling awaits us on BBC1.

Eve, Anna, Vicki and Lauren are 5-3 down to Sweden in the semi-final as end 7 kicks off. They have the hammer in this end.

Oh dear.

A calamity for Eve in end 7. Needing to draw the hammer in to take an underwhelming one shot and reduce the deficit to 5-4. she caught her own stone and gave away an effectively match-ending three shots.

A hammer blow.

Sweden lead 8-3.

As well as being one of the authentic voices of Lakeside and the Crucible Theatre, Rob Walker has now added another string to his bow - he is the unrivalled “Voice Of Biathlon”.

What a superb job he’s done commentating on this obscure yet very enjoyable sport during the Games.

A tremendously exciting men’s team victory for Sweden ahead of their great rivals Norway there with Frederik Lindstroem holding his nerve better than Emil Svensson as the two anchormen reached the shooting range simultaneously. Some of the participants had a mental breakdown during the shooting.

2 Likes

38 years on from Lake Placid, another miracle on ice as Germany beat Canada in the semi final of the men’s ice hockey.

@GeoffreyBoycott you seem like a poster that is pretty knowledgeable about winter sports and Winter Olympics.

What are your favourite moments from these and past Games?

How did the Scottish ladies get on in the curling?

Thumped 10-5 with an end to spare.

The final shot in End 7 as I wrote above was the key shot in the match.

Eve Muirhead made a complete bagpipes of it - she turned a potential one shot gain into a loss of three, and there was never going to be any way back from five shots down. They still have what would be a second successive bronze medal to play for tomorrow (tonight?) against Japan, who almost had victory handed to them by the nervous Koreans today in the other semi-final.

The Scotch men had an even more disappointing time of it this time round. After a silver medal in 2014, Dave Murdoch must have been very frustrated to be sitting in the BBC studio in Salford rather than being on the ice in Korea. Kyle Smith and his team weren’t up to the task at all.

The Swedes are having a tremendous time of it and will fancy their chances of a double gold - respective skips Anna Hasselborg and Niklas Edin are both on top form. The USA provide the opposition for them in the men’s final.

Canada’s failure has been a big story - they failed to reach the last four in either the men’s or women’s competitions. How the mighty have fallen.

Regrettably I haven’t seen a minute of the 2018 Olympiad. Lot on these past few weeks and the time differential makes it awkward for viewing.

Won’t be much easier in four years’ time either with Beijing hosting.

This is the first of three successive Olympics in the Orient.

Inrcredible tension here in end 8 of the men’s gold medal curling match.

Sweden and the USA deadlocked at 5-5.

Huge shot here for the Yanks. They could take 4 or even 5.

High 5 for the Yanks.

Sweden’s hopes have just been machine gunned.

Another botched hammer from Eve Muirhead in end 9 of the bronze medal match against Japan.

Japan lead 4-3 going into the final end.

I think I’d like to see Japan win this. The Scotch already have a bronze from 2014 and the Japs seem like a grand set of girls altogether. Fujisawa is an excellent skip.