With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Try the residential tenancy board site or citizens advice site.

I used the residential tenancy board site to download the eviction one when I was selling a property. They have a few templates up there.

1 Like

Hey guys.

Not sure who the experts are? @gman? @fran?

I think I mentioned I was looking at an old doer upper before Christmas and what it would involve. Anyway things are progressing with my interest. The house itself hasn’t been lived in for I think over 20 years from information I have been given. I was also informed it’s a pre 1964 build so was not subject to planning permission.

What does this mean in terms of what I can do with the property without seeking planning permission? I would be doing the property up for myself, there is plenty of room on the site to extend the house, it’s currently a 3 bed room bungalow so I’d like to extend the property a small bit to make it a 4 bedroom.

Will I be able to do this without seeking planning permission. From what I understand from my free state chums, the planning procedures down here are a very long and arduous process and I could be discriminated against for my nordie heritage.

This is what I think but I’d say there’s others here who will be more definitive:

You won’t need planning permission if the extension is to the rear of the house and less than 50m2 (gross floor area). You won’t need planning to renovate the house unless you’re making material changes to the envelope of the building

Planning permission takes time but it may not may not be long and arduous depending on where the house is and what you’re doing to it. The fact that there’s already a dwelling on the site means any planning should be a whole lot easier.

I like the idea and I’d love to do it myself but make sure you’re aware of the money pit something like this may become.

1 Like

Thanks Fran.

All those stipulations generic to all types of dwelling or specific to pre 1964 builds?

I could be wrong but I think it’d be generic to all types of dwellings with the exception of protected or listed structures

1 Like

Good stuff.

Final couple of questions for now Fran.

In terms of leaving the envelope of the house in place. Could I knock out the side and back walls of the house to do things like readjust the window positions? Presumably you can’t do much with the front wall?

I have a relative who is in the insulation game, former blocklayer who realigned during the downturn so I’d be planning on getting him involved. He told me he’d have no issue getting it A energy rated or good as. He mentioned the possibility of doing cladding at the front to support this. Would that be allowed?

I’m just playing a food challenge with the kids, give me a few minutes

2 Likes

Canny Nordie saving hundreds here as kind-hearted Fran deals with 1 query after t’other.
Of course, should things not go as smoothly as required, Fran will be 1st up against the wall.

4 Likes

Fran will be digging out my arms cache for me if things go tits up.

Not to show up Fran @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy, but just note it’s 40m2 of an extension that’s except. Also, if the building has had any other extension put on it, that counts to the 40m2 needed.

Getting it A rated can be done, but won’t be cheap. You will have to remove all the floor structure and put in a new sub base, insulation and concrete slab. All walls will need to be insulated, as well as roof space. You would also most likely need to put an air tight membrane to the roof and tape to windows. You’ll need a full electrical rewire and new heating system.

Any changes to the front elevation will be subject to planning.

3 Likes

Generally if you knock a wall you’d need to rebuild it as it was however you’d probably get away with altering the location and sizes of the opes on the rear wall as long as you didn’t go to mental. The gable ends not so much.

You should be able to clad externally without planning permission as long as you maintain a similar appearance to the original house.

He’ll be doing well to get a house built pre 60s to A-rated

I had actually thought that originally but I googled just to check, turns out I was getting my info from a British website.

Thanks for making a cunt of me on the extension size :smirk:

2 Likes

Jesus that’s some smackdown you’re after handing out to poor @fran.

I’d kind of be looking at it from the provision of buying the shell of a house anyway so plumbing, electrics, heating all to be installed.

In fairness to @Gman he would be much better qualified in this sector of the industry than me

1 Like

Very doable Francis as long as the budget is there. In fact under the new National Retrofit Scheme you could get 35% of the upgrade grant funded once you get it to B2 or above… Like every grant system there will he teething issues but it worth a gawk.

1 Like

Is the retrofit not gone?

You can get any house to A rating. The only variable is cost I’d say

1 Like

That’s what I was implying really, it’ll cost you a pretty penny

2 Likes

In your own head how much are you thinking of spending… From what you have described over a few posts there you have 100k spent… Minimum