With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

The funny thing is the builder just added 30k to the price of his house.

3 Likes

Exactly. Demand side measures not appropriate. Focus on supply.

Still, I’ll take the money off Johnny taxpayer and put it towards an island all the same.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned it really, maybe they have but I feel the banks view on people on PUP payments in terms of a mortgage approval are very unfair.

Suopose its another thing thats gone under the radar to an extent due to the terrible virus we’re up against.

25% nationally I believe, 40% in Dublin - that is going to put a further savage strain on housing going forward.

2 Likes

That seems like a great scheme… Is there an upper limit on the price of the house you can buy with it

I was at a presentation there the other day and Danny McCoy was giving a spiel…he said there is more money in personal savings now than their is personal debt incl home mortgages.

His view was that as soon as consumer sentiment picks up at all post covid there will be a spending binge that will make the SSIA scheme look like a tiny blip

He reckons between everything, mortgages being deferred, no cost of commutes etc etc 80% of people are better off than they were this time last year :thinking:

1 Like

Sounds about right, I wonder though will those savings sitting on deposit be impacted by a potential high level of inflation that will occur sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I think there might be but can’t recall the exact figure.

1 Like

I’d say we are a long way from inflation it wouldn’t help the global situation to have material level of inflation

But the fact there is fuck all return from savings will encourage spending as well

1 Like

Its kind of unchartered terrority, the retail banks are kind of fucked as things are surely with such low interest rates.

Inflation is probably the governments only way out especially if Covid continues for another couple of years and national debt continues to grow exponetially.

Easiest way to obviously devalue that national debt is through inflation. I don’t know - I just can’t see the QE methodology continuing forever.

Even if it does and as you say people are better off then ever - surely simple supply and demand is going to kick in.

100%, i wouldnt have a bob only for covid. 150 quid a week saved on going out.

1 Like

I used to put 250 quid a month of diesel into the car. Iv filled it 4 times in 12 months since I’d say. I used to spend another 200 quid a month on lunch and coffee… Again… Probably 10% of that cost since Iv been at home… No crèche cost… No overseas holidays last year… Etc etc etc…

1 Like

My craft beer habit is my only expense these days. We’ve a nice chunk in the holiday fund at the minute after 18 months of saving. If only we could go on a holiday :joy:

1 Like

There is a cost to not spending that money in the deli, the petrol station and the airport overtime though…

It seems be something that isnt considered by anyone really - not pointing at you specifically at all by the way.

Ultimately those losses in the economy will have to be paid down the line.

Refurbs, extensions, heat pumps, SUVs, home offices, Disneyland, patios, half acre kitchen islands, robot lawnmowers…

We’ll find a hole for it.

5 Likes

That cunt @Batigol is hardly getting overtime at the minute and there 15 people coming in an hour

1 Like

We got in a new US still fridge, a rangemaster cooker and a new oil boiler in January.

All good capital investments I told myself - need a new a car, but I’m reluctant to move on that.

That’s some exaggeration. Probably 300k peoples are half of the last year on 350 quid. A few quid saved from petrol and lattes doesn’t compare to the 15-25k people got from SSIAs.

Oh I get that big time… I work in an industry that needs consumer sentiment to be good and need people spending money… But most individuals are better off…

A lot of that is becuase businesses that will be closed in 12 months time are paying staff now with subisdies…pubs are closed in rural areas now and will never again open… But they are getting supports and turnover supports that will drop awya in a few months and they will close then and people will be impacted…

1 Like

Thats it in a nutshell. When those small businesses like your rural pub closes forever, which is nearly inevitable now sadly - their subsidies ie the PUP etc will be gone too.

1 Like

Is it? The 25k was accumulated over 5 years… I’d say in cash terms my house is 20k better off in 12 months… I’m lucky though (or am I, I work 60 hours a week)