With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

he thinks its a clock

Spied a place I used to live in up north co Dublin on the market again, but €150 more in rent. :frowning:

???🤷

Sorry. To explain it better, the legislation sets out the job of Nama to manage and sell loans and assets and what not and get the best value for them and the taxpayer. The main thrust of the legislation is recovering money. But there are also the other references in the legislation that I referred to. To date, Nama has focused solely on maximising commercial returns to the exclusion of all else. That is what it understands its role to be.

My point was that also there in the legislation are some references which say that Nama does have the remit to look at other considerations, beyond solely focusing on maximising revenue to the greatest degree possible.

Basically a shift in approach could do a lot of good and wouldn’t even require a change in legislation. It seems to me a no brainer that a minister should be redirecting Nama on how it operates.

1 Like

i cant find these references, whats the language so i can search the act

You must be blind. Look at purpose of Nama and I think section 2.

i was looking for good and societal

2 .— The purposes of this Act are—

( a ) to address the serious threat to the economy and the stability of credit institutions in the State generally and the need for the maintenance and stabilisation of the financial system in the State, and

( b ) to address the compelling need—

(i) to facilitate the availability of credit in the economy of the State,

(ii) to resolve the problems created by the financial crisis in an expeditious and efficient manner and achieve a recovery in the economy,

(iii) to protect the State’s interest in respect of the guarantees issued by the State pursuant to the Credit Institutions (Financial Support) Act 2008 and to underpin the steps taken by the Government in that regard,

(iv) to protect the interests of taxpayers,

(v) to facilitate restructuring of credit institutions of systemic importance to the economy,

(vi) to remove uncertainty about the valuation and location of certain assets of credit institutions of systemic importance to the economy,

(vii) to restore confidence in the banking sector and to underpin the effect of Government support measures in relation to that sector, and

(viii) to contribute to the social and economic development of the State.

its fairly low down on the priorities

It is. And Nama can be forgiven for making much of it. A minister could swiftly correct them.

given that NAMA is now in profit, they should be focussing on it

1 Like

A dog with a mallet up his arse would run the country better.

giphy (8)

Can they focus on one sub-clause to the detriment of another?

Can someone ladybird this for me?

Did they do it by accident?

It needn’t be one to the detriment of another at all.

But it possibly would?

Depends on what version of statutory interpretation you’re using.

1 Like

Will it pass the seanad? Does ffg have the majority?

Darragh O’Brien reminds me of the fat kid with the central hair parting in The Simpsons.

5 Likes

Say you have option A and B. A makes more money but B comes with happy puppies. If its a purely commercial decision to maximise revenue you have to choose A. But if you’re also allowed to give weight to other factors then it’s possible you can choose B.

Any time you assess a tender the decision is not based solely on cost, there are other factors to the decision. This is similar. Seems straightforward enough to me.