With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Small landlords pay tax, the larger institutional investors like vulture funds don’t.

1 Like

Only if they lease to local authorities. Who in turn pay subsidies.

So not only are the government not collecting stamp duty, they are paying most of the rent

Somebody should be in jail or dead over this

That’s the FG policy mate. You can’t interfere in the free market, you can only pour public money into it.

1 Like

Would you say it’s unattractive?

1 Like

Investing kinda works on the basis of expected return vs the risk taken on. The more risk the bigger there return you should get.

If people think they are getting a return above that expected for the risk then that’s an attractive investment. If the opposite is the case then it is unattractive and they look elsewhere.

You’ve pretty much just articulated the second - that in this case people are looking elsewhere for more attractive returns relative to the risk. On top of which, to return to my original point, there is a cohort who never saw it as an investment in the first place and just want to get out

Ok. I can accept all that. But none of that contradicts the point that it is a landlord’s market.

Take the cohort you are on about who never wanted to be landlords. They now see the oppressed to sell up at a win and get out of a situation they never wanted to be in. Off they go. These are the other factors influencing their decision and neither contradict the fact that it is a landlord’s market.

Vulture fund is a bit emotive.

Pension fund is more accurate.

2 Likes

Paddy wants people to be able to rent properties but doesn’t want any landlords.

Need to apply some avian nomenclature to ramp up the hysteria. The data centres will be called vulture centres soon

1 Like

REITs had massive tax exemptions for years, didn’t matter who they were renting to. Loopholes were since closed but the damage was done.

Tomayto/tomato

Do you have a private pension yourself?

1 Like

Absolutely irrelevant.

1 Like

No. A closer analogy is

Deadly Nightshade/Potato

Hopefully there’s enough in the pot when you need those windows replacing.

Invested in rental properties no doubt.

Many will be selling at below what they purchased at. It may be a relief to them and better than their position 5 years ago but I’m not sure it’s a “win” in the round.

So if I am contributing to a private pension I can’t comment on the impact vulture funds are having on the housing crisis?

That’s a completely separate point. It’s unrelated to the point that it’s a landlord’s market.

Vulture funds buy distressed assets for cents in the dollar.

Pension funds invest in a range of asset classes, including property, in order to earn a return for their investors, who are ordinary Joe Soaps with one or less kitchen Islands.

1 Like