With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Fucks sake Fagan, no need to demoralise the poor hoor altogether. But that’s how it was and now you have lads moaning at us. Enjoy the cruise and that stuff later in the year - you earned it.

1 Like

We did the hard yards when we were younger, bucko and now we can enjoy it a bit.

4 Likes

Something similar here when I first bought in Dublin in the mid 1990’s. As soon as you started earning out of college, financial focus straight away was on getting deposit for a mortgage. We thought it was tough back then too and we were the generation getting fleeced. It’s all relative but it’s just off the Richter scale now.

I’m going to have the mortgage payed off on the Dublin house in June of this year.

13 Likes

Inflation at ten per cent will soften the cough of the fixed income pensioners

There’ll be more equity released than on a failed Shakespeare production

I was looking at a graph of house price collapse and I’m pleased to say I bought at 47.6 per cent below the peak (they ended up going down 54 per cent from peak). *** at the time there were daily rumors the Army was in the Mint in Sandyford unloading the new punt

*** smart and ballsy

2 Likes

My parents bought their first house for 8000 pounds back in the day and they had the deposit for that when they were 22 with no help from their parents. The equivalent now for a 22 year old would be to scrape together 30 or 40 grand for a deposit while earning 30k a year before tax and paying 10k of what’s left on rent alone.

Will you fuck off out of it with your back in my day messing Fagan :grinning:

4 Likes

The generation that made Ireland what it is today will do what they have always done. Pull in the belt buckle a couple of notches and ride out the storm. It won’t be the first time they’ve seen inflation.

3 Likes

You’ll have to sacrifice the sea view in the nursing home.

1 Like

My parents came home from London in the mid-70s and bought what is still our family home, for 2,000 pound, cash!

1 Like

dont know about that. life in your 20s is for living and enjoying life and everything it has. I know I did it differently to a lot around me, but I had fuck all interest in property ladder stuff and career advancement when I was in my 20s. I started building my own place in a rural area when I was 29, but the value of that building now would be double the cost to build now. I was very lucky, I dont think I’d be able to afford it had I been 10 years younger and gone the same route. It shouldnt be a case of either or with regards to enjoying your 20s and being able to buy a house when you hit your 30s. It is now, but to say it was always like that is a folly. Houses back yonder were a fraction of the relative wages to cost than they are now.

3 Likes

Bullshit,
what are the historical house price to average income stats here?
Smugness off the charts, your generation was lucky in this regard.

1 Like

Ireland is awash with money. It’s mad.

All that money is chasing the same few houses.

There’s a recession over due. You’d be mad to buy a house now.

1 Like

Tradesmen are scarce because FAS basically closed the doors for 10 years from 2008 on. Especially"wet" trades.

1 Like

By God we weren’t lucky at all. At least two oil crises, massive and lengthy recession, stagflation, emigration off the charts and a war in the North to put the tin hat on things. It was a constant struggle. But we just got on with things. We didn’t go on about it. I suppose it helped that we didn’t have social media.

8 Likes

IR£4,000 for the 3-bed semi-detached family home in Wexford in 1973 or 1974. My auld lad is gas. It turned out he was still paying the 40-year mortgage right up to its expiry date. I’m plucking figures out of my arse but it was, say, €13 a month or something. It came to light around 10-15 years ago when he started giving out about the bank contacting him to see if he wanted to get rid of “the legacy mortgage” by paying off what was left in one go. “The absolute cheek of them ringing me up looking for €300 in one go when I’ve got the brilliant €13 a month deal.”

15 Likes

One also needs to look at the repayment to income ratio. Interest rates were off the charts in the 70s and 80s.

I was talking to my neighbour who bought their house some time in late 70s. Two months after they bought it interest rates shot up and what was affordable two months before became a serious millstone around their necks.

2 Likes

Ah sure don’t be telling him that. It won’t suit his narrative. The brother in law fixed his mortgage for five years at 13% after the Euro currency crisis.

3 Likes

By all means live your life in your 20s but don’t be bellyaching then in your 30s when you are stuck in a bed sit.

2 Likes

People had no lives back then.It was work and home.Maybe a couple of pints at the weekend for himself and a babysham for the mrs.There were no such things as weekend breaks or heading to Spain.No family had more than one car.Life was grim enough back then.People had only seen an avocado in the encyclopedia.

2 Likes

Ladybird this for me.

We had nothing to Insta. But at least we had our own houses.

1 Like