With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

What about the lads in Leitrim or Limerick having to pay full whach to fix the houses in Dublin affected by pyrite

1 Like

Myself and Mrs Locke are in our new house over 2 weeks now. She was saying she was listening to 96FM the other day (I know, I was wondering the same too) and the topic was around rent and house prices etc. We’re so, so lucky to be home owners now, in an area we want to live in, can walk the kids to school, GAA club around the corner, etc etc. But, as alluded to earlier, have to work hard to keep all the plates spinning.
In good news, I’ve a builders rubble skip sitting in the driveway with around two tonne of old tile and plasterboard to be barrowed into it :smiley:

12 Likes

Fair play to ye. May ye have many happy years in it. If @Thomas_Brady was still on the forum he’d be over in a jiffy to help you out. He’d put his back out on the second load and be sitting inside drinking tae and eating your biscuits pretty soon after that. And there’d be a nice ornament and a passport missing when he left. Good Times.

11 Likes

And FDI…which on a deeper dive reveals a lot of roles aren’t filled by Irish as they haven’t the necessary skills required :man_shrugging:
Furthermore bar the likes of the Red Sea in Foynes we seemed to have missed the industrial revolution…

2 Likes

:rage::rage::rage:

We could have afforded Clontarf but decided to be cautious/conservative and go for the more modest starter home option on the wrong side of the tracks/Howth Road. I’m explaining so I’m losing, I know it.

A lot has happened in 4 years in our case though. We went from having no property ownership ambitions and being happy renting the top floor brothel apartment in town to being told the entire building was being sold to going sale agreed on our house the day our first chap was born. All that happened in the space of 2 months.

As we were relaxed about home ownership, weren’t sure where we wanted to base ourselves permanently and thought the market was even crazy back then, we didn’t go all in on the first home. I recall the mortgage adviser trying to coax us into targeting some new developments in the south side but we were prioritising public transport / DART access to the city centre and other amenities in the locality (parks, shops etc) so this place suited us.

Post second child, we then went from considering moving out of Dublin entirely this time last year during that prolonged lockdown before we realised that we actually like living here. Really we do. St Anne’s Park. Clontarf. Dollymount. Portmarnock Beach/Malahide Castle jaunts. I’ve become a Raheny Shamrock athlete. The boys will be joining Raheny GAA soon.

I’d say if we move anytime in the next few years we would target somewhere still near St Anne’s Park but on the right side of the tracks. The permanent site for the Educate Together primary school covering the Killester Raheny Clontarf catchment area has also just been confirmed for Killester after 3 years in portacabins at Suttonians RFC so that’s another positive for this area. We don’t want to send our chaps to one of the many single sex primary schools in Dublin so an Educate Together on the doorstep is ideal.

Priced out of Wexford - have you considered Killester?

:anguished:

10 Likes

You sicken me

2 Likes

And you living in the shadow of the Croabh …

Would you not worry the lads would turn out to be little soulless middle class dubs?

1 Like

It’s also the lowest interest rates in human history, the psychological switch from the price of the goods to repayment installments only (cars now being marketed solely on monthly repayment costs rather than actual price), and Ireland being one of the wealthiest countries in the world with very high wages.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain you have an extra zero in there by accident.

1 Like

I took from it more that 550000 for a three bed semi is mental.

I dunno. I think we can manage it. I just get a warm, fuzzy feeling about this area. Sure the boys couldn’t be posh with Wexford and Monaghan parents and hanging out in Killester and Raheny. We’ll limit their interaction with Clontarf elements, e.g. no rubby allowed.

2 Likes

That’s fair.

Maybe. More likely they’ve been the fortunate recipients of a very good state education system, a safe and stable environment, and a political class who will bend every international rule to breaking point to encourage FDI.

Check this out bro.

Does anyone follow the Crazy House Prices chap on Twitter? He alerted me to this cracker below. Karen Mulvaney is a local estate agent covering Dublin 3, 5 etc. This clip of a shoebox cottage in Clontarf going for half a million is brilliant. She almost has to climb over the bed to get out the back as there isn’t space between the bed and the wardrobe. Whoever’s filming also has to shuffle through doors sideways at times. Meanwhile the bauld Kaz is positively gushing about this “goooooorrrrrggggeeeooouuussss” property.

5 Likes

There’s multiple tower blocks of appartments being built in Manchester which will never go on the open market. Similar thing. Rising interest rates may settle this a little. There’s an awful awful.lot of QE money looking for a home.

I’m not sure that should happen either.

I’d be in favour of paying out compensation for catastrophic birth defects on a no fault basis but I’m not sure we should have to pay to fix damage to private property without any claim for the money back.

newbridge house
ardgillan

wtf? get the kids to play football

signing in

I watched that thinking it would be a laugh, but it’s a cracking little house, if you had no kids you couldn’t ask for better,
Pricey like :grinning:

We nearly bought a house like that in Limerick (Shelbourne avenue) then my missus fell pregnant and we kicked it to touch fairly quick, it was about 250k back in 06, a gorgeous house