With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Can’t afford Clontarf - have you considered Killester?

1 Like

We’re one of the richest countries in the world because young people in Ireland do put the hard yards in

Fair play to them.

You could count on one had the amount of bricklayers and plasterers trained for about 10 years,add in the amount of lads who left the buildings for jobs in factory’s etc and you’ve got no one left when things picked up.

2 Likes

It’s laughable.

Fancy high end cars. Renting in nice parts of the City but it’s so damn expensive.

Couldn’t move away from Dublin, they’d be bored.

Can’t work from home, it’s not the same as queuing at the coffee dock having lols.

Tit Monday isn’t the same outside Dublin.

The list goes on….

1 Like

Thirty years ago you’d point if you saw a BMW on the road. Now they are as common as muck.

5 Likes

If you said CGT exemption on house sales was ending in 2024 you’d free up a lot of supply.

House owners getting a free ride needs to end.

1 Like

Why?

Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Earn it people. Earn it

Yes but was that a policy decision by FAS or just a by product of the economy producing better paid jobs elsewhere? I have a mate in a high up role in Solas trying to push apprenticeships as actively as possible

1 Like

Lads who buy houses in middle of nowhere will equally find somewhere to spend their money.

Like 8 grand robot mowers because the garden is too big to maintain.

It’s also a bit hard for a lad renting in Dublin to be told he’s on the hook for a McMansion in Donegal that’s somebody’s private property and somehow the lad in Dublin is now responsible for fixing it.

8 Likes

While that may be an issue for apartments I’m not sure that these are really competing for 3-bed semi d’s etc? Prob more of a competitor there is the state in the form of county councils etc.

You’d see lads “representing Chinese investors” at most viewings for a 3 bed semi these days

2 Likes

Thoughts and prayers with Chris

1 Like

Deary me

State invested in ‘cuckoo fund’ that snapped up hundreds of Maynooth homes | Business Post

more an inhibitor than a competitor

1 Like

Interesting. That sounds a bit more like individual investors rather than funds though. Presumably these are to invest and rent out rather than for personal use?

One thing that isn’t commented on much is that policies that are good for renters are often bad for buyers and vice-versa.

1 Like

There has been a well know US fund buying one off 3 bed semis in all the large cities since 2017. Id say they have hundreds now. Another Irish fund started two years ago.

As for apartments, no normal bank will fund apartments for private sale as its deemed far too risky. The only reasons apartments are being built is because the can be held and rented by a fund or sold on as one lot.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it commented though that the Maynooth example was a bit unusual with most investor activity into apartments?

Also, I’d say the bulk of volume for buyers is still second-hand homes and @Batigol anecdote aside I’d say its far more messy for funds to be going around, renovating and operating a whole load of scattered houses vs the buy an apartment block model?

I stand corrected on the first bit so.

That’s interesting about banks not funding apartments for private sale.