With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Will Leo be setting up a hotline so people can rat out properties sitting idle?

4 Likes

What’s to stop them saying they lived there for 30 days over the year? Or saying a child is living there etc. Be interesting to see how they enforce it

What’s to stop you saying your 400k house is worth 300k in your lpt return?

323054_1_articlelarge_ie-464149_8707eb00a3274354a6dc09f3ce2bb364

1 Like

Well that can easily be verified if there is check.

The other is next to impossible to prove.

Nothing, that’s exactly what I do

Nothing. It’s a fiction of a measure so the opposition can’t criticise them for not having introduced a vacant homes tax.

You leave Paschal alone. He has bought my affections today

4 Likes

Splitter

Only FFG know the code to the magic money tree

2 Likes

4 Likes

And yet cunts like @anon67715551 will be on bleating about the interest rates back in his day etc etc.

Why would I bleat, I ploughed through it. My point is that times were tougher, opportunities fewer, employment tenuous but we were more resilient and more prepared to battle on. Too many softcocks out there now moaning about lack of this, that and the other.
How many in the state availing of this HAP malarkey I wonder……

5 Likes

To the employed in your day houses / mortgages were far more accessible. But youre probably right on plenty of other points.

In your day they built council houses and gave them to people, nowadays we have hap.

I don’t know how we did it in fairness @anon67715551

2 Likes

Great graphic for people to whinge. It’s so hard for my generation etc etc. but let’s look at the real cost - that is what portion of your income are you spending on your mortgage.

A quick google and excel PMT function would be more insightful. I’m waiting for join a 4.30pm call here but a quick google search shows me the mortgage rate in Ireland in 1990 was 12.37% give or take. Today (well up to recently) 2.95% wouldn’t be an obscene rate and would be about average.

Assuming a 90% mortgage and a 25 year term you end up in a situation where the annual mortgage payment in both those scenarios is about 33% of gross income. So fuck all has changed except today’s me me me generation get a far better house for their money with actual insulation.

6 Likes

Ah here that will have a few lads choking on their lattes.

3 Likes

Is the point of the graph not that houses are out of reach for the average wage earner compared to 30 years ago?

1 Like

They were out of the reach back then too. It cost 33% of salary to service a mortgage back then - it’s the same now.

If anything it was harder back then as taxes were generally higher so my benchmark of gross salary is probably a bit generous to today’s generation.

1 Like