With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Yes 33% hasn’t changed… But maybe some other variable in the equation has?

They weren’t spending €15 on smashed avocado & egg brunches, or getting €4 lattes every morning.

6 Likes

:smiley:

Ive taken to the free coffee in work… The absolute shame of it. Writing it there was even embarrassing… Id never tell friends and family.

I don’t think lads realise how poor Ireland was until about 25/30 years ago.

Within 15 years I was buying bottles of oxygen.

2 Likes

FFG have destroyed this country

1 Like

Stick to the graph you cunt. Person B cant buy the house to spend 33% of their income on. In my rudimentary understanding of mortgages banks will only loan you 3.5 times your salary. In 30 years wages haven’t quite doubled but house prices have quadrupled… You cunts had it easy and now youre fleecing young people with your second and third houses.

2 Likes

There was some adrenaline rush from the late 90s up to 2006…

I’d say I was in a restaurant maybe twice before the age of 18, didn’t leave the country till I was 19 and then flash forward 10 years later and european city breaks a few times a year, eating out once a week, and splashing mad money on vodka Red bull of a Saturday night became the norm.

I’ve no idea how we did it but it was the best of times.

14 Likes

I was working in Dublin and my father was onto me to buy a house somewhere out in meath as he reckoned it would be my only chance to get on the property ladder.

Luckily i was more interested in the vodka red bulls.

6 Likes

I remember my first “proper” job in 1996 I was getting 800 pounds a month. I was living at home and spent the lot on booze and (it is me) clothes. I was fucking loaded.

I was going to London in 99 or 2000 for a weekend and before I went I went to Alias Tom in Grafton Aircade and bought a leather jacket for 1200 euros. By that stage I was probably making 3000 euros a month. It was like a rocket ship

I have the jacket in the attic still at home. I couldn’t throw it out. I don’t regret any of it.

3 Likes

Sure the mother had me plagued “to get the planning” for years but my head wasn’t in it as the lad says. I finally gave in 2005 when the SSIA was burning a hole in my pocket.

Some fellas will never understand the hardship of going to work of a Friday morning on the 46A after a heap of free vodka on the Thursday night.

4 Likes

Or getting off the bus a few stops away from where you needed to go to. Walking up a side alley off the quays and throwing up and walking the rest of the way to work still slightly drunk.

4 Likes

Did you invest the vodka savings in the red bull?

1 Like

I had a similar experience and a helpful junkee told me i needed to get a yop into me to sort that out

10 Likes

You’d probably be well back in the black now if you had

240k at 2% interest over 30 years costs a lot more than 60k at 10% interest of 20 years to put an accurate comparison to the actual cost of money between the 2 time frames.

Young people are fucked because folks in the 80s got on the pyramid scheme early

1 Like

You have a month to get the mortgage drawn down if you already have approval at an old rate.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/1014/1329243-aib-to-increase-rates-on-new-fixed-mortgages-by-0-5/

Some banks are already renaging on that, happened a girl in work.

“work”. :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Happy I ran that race now!

1 Like

@anon98850436 knows his apples alright…