With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

He told me but I don’t know Dublin very well,just off o Connell st

1 Like

It will be yes.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the one, Walls Construction are main contractor and it will be the tallest building in the country when its done but only for a few months as Bennett Construction are doing another one along side it which will be taller when complete.

1 Like

Always thought there was a hotel going in there where the Long Stone was.

Is this Tara station? Apparently when they started work the DART line became unstable and they paused it?

Bigger still is the proposed City Arts building. This would be the first mini cluster of tallish buildings in the country.

R-L: Liberty Hall, College Square, Tara DART, City Arts

Ironically enough, this is closer to the “old” part of the city right under the nose of the Customs House than the Docklands where DCC successfully warded off efforts at height (apart from 2 sites) in the last decade. They’re some clowns.

1 Like

Thats the one Projects - Bennett Construction

Everything from Spencer Dock should have had a minimum height requirement of 12 stories. It was the ideal location to start building upwards.

1 Like

This can be traced back to DCC being pissed off that the Dublin Docklands Development Authority was established an usurped their role.

At the time there was a lot of whining from “the locals” and things changing too quickly and development that was too much.

Once the DDDA scandal hit, they gleefully took back control and put in place a SDZ. The SDZ was basically a sop to the locals and the feeling at the time that we had all gotten ahead of ourselves with the Docklands. This basically allowed for anything to be built but at stunted heights apart from three locations. In fairness it meant that once capital came back that development picked up quickly in the Docklands but it reached the point where it was no longer fit for purpose.

This led to the farcical court case where DCC blocked the Salesforce building from going higher, all the while down the river there has been higher buildings. They’re morons.

I think the City Arts one was turned down?

Bigger question is whose going to rent all these offices.

@anon98850436 has dealt with this already mate

Sorry.

It’s on appeal.

I think financing will be an issue for sure but realistically this building is 5 years out from completion so you’d expect a swing in demand by then.

“mini” and “tallish” say all you need to know. Manchester was a grim Northern shithole with no money, no tall buildings, and 500 residents 20 odd years ago. It has been transformed mostly for the better by proper high rise development, not “tallish”, and the taller the buildings, the nicer they are to look at **.
There is absolutely no reason why there shouldn’t or couldn’t be 20 skyscrapers of 50 stories in Dublin. The money is clearly there (if they can find it in Manchester, they most certainly can in Dublin, which is a far wealthier city, and a capital of a major European economy with a significant global footprint if you count MNCs as you should). Someone just needs to be brave. They could do what Manchester did and combine a (badly needed) hotel with residential above.

**Hilton tower excepted as it’s an eyesore, but it was the first, so it gets a bit if a pass, as everyone was excited by its height, and forgot about everything else.

2 Likes

There should be a couple of 50 floor buildings at this stage but the real problem has been blocking over 6 floors. Those tall buildings are more complicated and take more time.

The Sandyford development posted isn’t hard to repeat a few times a year. Alongside that you can aim to have one of these every couple of years.

https://ronangrouprealestate.com/projects/waterfront-south-central/

They seem to go up quickly enough to me tbh.
Land is in short supply in central Dublin. Transport links are creaking. There is one obvious answer.
I’d add,if you look at the renaker cluster, it’s amazing how little land they actually need.

Level Dublin and start again?

Not the old buildings, but certainly some of the eyesores they’ve built in the last 30 years, yes, absolutely.

They take a good bit longer.

Everything takes longer than it should in Ireland

1 Like