With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

The latest student block in manc is 37 stories. Build up, or build out, but build something.

1 Like

I can see a few student bed developments in Limerick there heading for construction.

More players for the mungret at pauls machine

The council are very very slowly building out a massive development right in the city center with basically zero accommodation in it. Seems bonkers, but I suspect they are afraid that if the council are putting in accommodation they will need to be seen to put people from the housing list in there which would devalue the whole development.

Another issue is the council arent building, didnt the council just buy up a whole estate in Castletroy for social housing? Taking potential stock built for the private market to fill the massive gap in social housing. Very unfair on people looking into the private market and having to complete with the council.

Social housing is also desperately needed but shouldnt be in direct competition with the private market. The council should be also building to meet that demand

Talking about mortgage interest relief in the budget for tracker mortgage holders who have been laughing their holes off at everyone who doesn’t have a tracker for 15 years now ffffffssss

8 Likes

Absolute madness :grinning:
WTF like.

An awful dawk for people with 10 increases in a row but they have been in clover for years and years …like when was the last time a tracker was given out 15 years ago?

And they could have fixed at any time

3 Likes

I see some commentary that those who’s mortgages were transferred to vulture funds haven’t been allowed fix

I’d have no issue with something to help those with vulture funds. Mortgage interest rates should be capped

1 Like

There was chat on here and elsewhere a while back about the first 15k of rental income being tax free. Once you went a euro over that youd be charged the full whack of tax. Kind of like the rent a room scheme. All agreed it was a win win for renters and landlords as would put a cap on rents. Was there any more mention of it lately?

Any tax breaks for landlords should be conditional on them reducing rents, it should be simple to introduce a measure whereby they both save money.

1 Like

That one seemed great and I didn’t hear the argument against it. Is it off the table? It was in one of the papers a couple of months back

1 Like

Presumably for both to make money that’s anyway meaningful, it would cost a lot more for the state?

Like, there’s a tax break for landlords mooted of €600. Say that was split 50:50 it would mean €25 a month less for a tenant and €25 a month for the landlord. In the context of rent controls etc it’s hard to see how many would sign up. To make it impactful you’d have to give a much bigger tax-break and therefore cost the state a lot more

Ok.

A mix of observation, anecdotal (hearing chat) & maybe confirmation bias but it’s seemed to me for a good while there’s loads of empty office space (especially those developments from Spencer Dock down to the Point). I also heard there’s been renewed efforts since the summer holidays ended within various places to implement more strictly enforced return to the office regimes. Interesting times if developers are defaulting again.

DNH

The Exo is 80% let now. Lots of places at or over capacity several days a week.

I think takes of the office dying have been grossly overstated. I’ve no doubt there is a big correction coming but that likely would have happened anyway.

I’ve seen some suggestions of banning new office development. The worst thing we could do is do something thick like 2009-2012 and pretend that we have more than enough houses forever or follow the “No More Hotels” crew of 2018/2019.

All that being said I can’t see how anyone is going to build new office space at the moment.
The market will self correct away from it you’d think.

The opportunity to convert some of the spaces to housing may exist, but I’d imagine it will only be a small % where it would be suitable or where planning would allow it. Older offices in residential areas perhaps. A lot of the office space will be in industrial parks etc where it’s a non-runner, or these glass buildings that won’t really lend themselves to conversion easily.

It’s retail property I’d be really worried about. Can’t see anyway it’s not absolutely fucked.

McWilliams reckons commercial property is goosed. He must be nearly due to be right about something again at this stage.

2 Likes