With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

2600 a month for a one bed in Limerick city, nuts

1 Like

Well they are involved. There’s your results.

€450k for a brand new A graded house in Dublin is excellent.

Eh. No it’s not.

Of course it is.

€50k salary per person. That’s right in the sweet spot now for jobs who have been locked out of housing in Dublin like teachers for the past few years.

In a brand new A rated house with sweet fuck all utility cost.

The various schemes launched fit into various income buckets nicely.

The question is whether it is a good use of money. It probably isn’t and we are relying on bumper corporation tax receipts to fund it.

But the public have no shown little tolerance historically for schemes that could make homes cheaper like proper property taxes and water charges. You mentioned removing VAT previously. That’s all well and good, but it has to be paid from somewhere else.

It’s fairly stupid talking about house prices crashing by 50%. Getting parents to pay the proper taxes on their property assets is what is needed, not some dopey goal that would be totally counter productive and snooker as many young people as it benefits.

Of course that’s nuts but that’s what happens when you deliberately limit supply through rent controls.

Any new supply is at a far higher price point.

The only way around that is loads of new supply. That’s evident in Dublin, the rest of the country lagged.

I actually thought none of those were coming on the market. Word was Eli Lilly or Verizon had taken them all.

Tim, do you know where the Oscar Traynor Road site is? It about ½ mile from Northside Shopping Centre, a place where the pub got closed down cos it was too mad.

Now. €450k isn’t too expensive in Malahide, Portmarnock, but the government are saying €450k is affordable in Coolock. No its not.

Security guards got an ERO increase in wage from €12.90 to €14.50 an hour from 1st July. Cleaner’s wages went to €13.30. Can they afford one of those houses? No. So where they they buy a house? Because everyone should have the chance to buy a house. Unfortunately, they cant afford a house in Kilmore, they cant afford a house anywhere.

If there were no Security Guards in Dundrum, Liffey Valley, Blanchardstown Shopping Centre would it be okay? So are they needed? Yes. And they deserve to buy a house. A house they can afford. Could they afford €250/300k which is achievable on Council land? Yes. And that’s the market. Let the professionals buy the €450k / €500k houses cos they wont want to live with the security guard.

The affordable scheme was brought in to help schoolteachers and Garda. Thats who are getting the houses.

Theres still plenty of land to build houses with proper planning and infrastructure

3 Likes

My bro bought an apartment there at the height of the boom. Just the 2 murders there while he lived there but the bar at the astro park isnt bad. Lovely spot.

2 Likes

My issue isn’t with Kilmore, although that pitch up from Northside was always fucking freezing when I played there.

How can anyone say €450k is affordable? To who? All @Tim_Riggins friends who are raking it in?? Would they move up the road from The old Blacker?

Go to a bank say, I have €50k grand saved and I want €400k… I guarantee @Tim_Riggins Gardener and House Keeper even on €50k a year each aint getting that mortgage.

The system is broken. It can be fixed. Some cunt asked on the radio last week if SF got in and reduced house prices by €100/200k would they get a refund. Christ! They are in a house, be thankful.

Its like those racist cunts going around saying you’re poor and you dont have a house because that poor black fella living in a tent by the canal with rats sniffing around him.

FFS

2 Likes

A lad i know is bidding on houses in portmarnock. 3/4 bed semis that need a couple of hundred grand work done going for 800grqnd plus. Prices are absolutely mental!

1 Like

Hope he’s got a Surveyors report. A few houses around there with gable end with no planning…

Have you not told him he can buy two houses in Oscar Traynor Road.

3 Likes

@Juhniallio

I know a certain ex Fingal Mayor lives/bought a house in the middle of the estates in Kinsealy which had the pyrite. Was his house affected and repaired?

With the story in the Ditch, it wouldnt look too good if he got sorted 100% and the poor fuckers in Donegal were pissed on by the attorney general and his brother the Minister for housing

Yes he did. Although nearly all the houses in that estate were fixed i think. That fella would have been grand anyway. He’s always had insurance…

So the Minister of Housing’s brother, who was parachuted into his council seat, had his house in Kinsealy fully sorted from pyrite?

Well done Mayor Eoghan and TD brother.

If you bought a house with pyrite and you got looked after, why would you not want other people who, who bought houses or built with mica, like pyrite, and felt that same dread, fear, depression, sickness, not want to be looked after? Why would you turn your back on them?

Apologies. I missed the last line of your post. Not 100%sure on him. I was talking about different ex mayor of fingal…

I didn’t realise Farrell of the bad backs up a ladder was sorted…

1 Like

Apologies to Eoghan (and Darragh) if Eoghan’s house wasnt effected.

Why are you waffling on about those roles ffs?

That’s NOT what that kind of scheme is intended for.

It would be really useful if you are going to write multiple paragraphs to research what you are on about.

The categories of revenue you talk about are not who the government should be supporting with this scheme. There are a multitude of others in place for those income brackets.

Then you sum up by saying exactly what I was saying on who the scheme is intended for. Are you thick?

You are taking about “what is achievable on council land”.

The fact is that the council build things at more expense than the private and AHB sector. Removing VAT is NOT making it cheaper for the State. It is simply moving the cost elsewhere. That might be okay, but stop pretending as though it is a magic beans solution.

The reality is that in Ireland the working and middle classes (a large proportion of whom were fixed in owned or state subsidised housing for life) 10 years ago rejected the notion of water charges. That means new builds absorb the cost. There’s a reason why this government are terrified of reforming the tv licence…

Ffs.

Look at teacher pay scales.

They start at €41k now. There were starting on €36k pre Covid.

Go right through government employees and that is the case.

There has been significant wage inflation in the last 5 years.

The schemes are designed specifically to capture those kinds of people 5-6 years into their careers and in house buying mode.

Are the schemes good value for money? The costs to build in Ireland are not and ANY state subsidy has all sorts of issues attached to it. But that’s the Ireland we are in.

Negative equity is a huge problem for people and society, as underlined by the post 2008 environment.

You are also plunging young people who just bought homes.

That is not to say we need or desire endless price increases. But talking about 50% declines. Idiot.