With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Esteban loses his life on here about three times daily, he’ll be doing well to see 45.

3 Likes

He’ll spend a lot of time on here when he’s 50 that’s for sure.

I once was of this view but it is the most understandable thing in the world.

People go on about Germany, but many Germans in retirement are scurrying around hunting for bottles to recycle to sustain a standard of living.

Doesn’t happen in Ireland. Home ownership and that security plays a role in that.

2 Likes

I’ve two or three small business interests that will keep me ticking over. I’ll have no need to work by 50. I’m self employed so could go sooner or later.

I’m a good man to fill time. I also have a family that I love spending time with. Time with them is worth more than any money kid.

My time is literally priceless. I’d gladly break my back til I’m 50 while I can and have it backs instead of killing myself til I’m 67

6 Likes

Your uncle suffers from boringcuntitis

I’d have a lot of family In France where ownership is rare. I like the idea of it tbh. Particularly in Paris you see people moving houses as their needs change.

You can change house in Ireland as your needs change.

People hold onto their home to give to their kids. This is a huge problem at the moment with Fair Deal- the system is a joke. They literally encourage people to take loans out to pay for the 8% asset contribution so you don’t have to sell the house.

1 Like

I guess everybody is different but at the moment if you buy a house In your 20s you close almost every door possible. Mortgaged up with little wiggle room. Most people my age have no idea what they really want to do and the idea of them owning a house ties them to a job they will probably eventually hate.

Home ownership has also significantly fallen in Ireland. We aren’t far off French levels.

And at least if your renting and shit inevitably hits the fan you are not in big trouble. if you lose your job and your renting you fuck off traveling and set up somewhere else but if you own a house In negative equity you are snookered. It’s very different for people like @Juhniallio I appreciate.

But Is that a reflection on change of attitude of the Irish or just a lack of houses being built and people waiting?

I’ll take anything you have to say on this matter with a large pinch of salt.

You obviously come from an extremely privileged background and have never had to work a day in your life

4 Likes

That’s a factor

Changing demographics i.e we have a young population and more migrants
Lack of access to finance

Etc

A bigger problem with home ownership to me is the number of individual landlords out there. There are better things to invest your money in than property. People don’t consider the numerous costs associated with it. I’m pretty sure people do it as we drove a culture of it (and people like the idea of becoming a landlord from our historic position) and it is easy to understand. Mortgages focus the mind on interest and cash and people can understand it.

1 Like

Fuck me this is the weirdest set of cunts I could ever imagine debating a serious topic on here

3 Likes

That isn’t true at all. Both my parents worked hard all their lives and all my siblings work too. I’ve received nothing from them that’s out of the ordinary nor would I expect to. Any money they have is there’s and I don’t want it. I’d tell them to spend it on holidays or however they want instead of leaving it to me or my siblings. It’s just my out look. I notice a lot of people your age would get very insecure by my outlook and in my own opinion it’s probably an indicator of deep personal unhappiness with your life.

Recession for a 13 year old boy must have been tough. It won’t be as bad as the first. So your telling me now if gdp falls for the next two quarters we’re back to 2008 levels? I’m curious. I’m ‘amused’,!?

2 Likes

If you buy a gaff(and I’m not suggesting you do) and the shit hits the fan you can still go off travelling and rent out your gaff. You can be over living it up in Asia betting on cockfights while someone working here pays your mortgage. It’s not for everyone but you are by no means fucked if there’s a recession.

1 Like

That’s if you can get somebody to rent etc etc. if the rent doesn’t cover the mortgage and then your off somewhere else paying rent it’s just lots of needless headaches. Imo lads in their mid 20s should be enjoying themselves and exploring the world. Not trying to get a mortgage and be retired by the time their 50. That’s just me though other people will have different views.

Some of daddy’s investments took a tumble, watching your trust fund drop like that is no joke, the allowance may have been hit also,

2 Likes

Why are you arguing with yourself? No one here is saying lads in their mid twenties should have a mortgage.