With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

And I just after listening to some lady from the Landlords representative association on the radio complaining about how the rental market was unviable for landlords due to taxation.

So what you are saying is that this is the prime time to pull the old rent a house you don’t own scam?

You would clean up. It’s standard practice now to bring the deposit with you if you are looking to rent a gaff. People would think nothing of handing it over.

And yet go to somewhere like Sandyford and you’ll still see a shell of unfinished apartments as part of the Beacon development.

The coalition have botched their housing policy completely

What policy?

2 Likes

If it’s an anyway decent place, that’s around €18k they would’ve handed over. :clap: it’s getting fucking boomier all up in here!

I thought the re-inflation of the property bubble was their policy?

Yeah that would be it

Gotta get the Boomers out of negative equity before their defined benefit pensions kick in the poor things

I’m sure there are some landlords cleaning up but a huge amount of the sector is accidental landlords with legacy Celtic Tiger apts/houses. You can only write 75% of the interest of the mortgage off against the rent along with some other minimal expenses. Tax then is at the personal marginal rate which for most people will be above 50%. As such, for many landlords it is not viable and it is costing them money every year, largely due to the tax situation.

2 Likes

Wait, there are landlords declaring rent?

Mugs.

The unacceptable face of capitalism.

strong text**

just saw this now
agreed on all of the above

as we speak im trying to buy a gaff in Co. Meath

The ones that took social welfare are being properly mugged off.

1 Like

anyone here own more than 1 gaff?
that’s winning

Most of those have been finished in the last year Timmy boy

Just seen a house in Trim on that allsop sell for €297k.

I actually viewed about 11 months ago cos it was so cheap €220k. The others in the estate are €340k.

Currently going through planning which is a pain in the hole but anyway, thought the gaff seemed like a bargain so would take a look.

The house is split/cracked up the middle and held together with some sort of ties. There is also some cracks at the back of the house with bolts up the wall. The missus knows the estate agent, they couldn’t give the house away.

Some investor has bought a pig in a poke. Caveat emptor.

probably got caught with the pyrite shit when it was being built. A lot of houses and apartment blocks in North Dublin and Meath/Louth got caught with that and fucked up the substructures something rotten.

You mean they’re not making a profit as they pay off the mortgages on their second homes? God be with them :cry:

The capitalist pigs

Could have got caught alright, it was the last house built on the estate, the builder split a garden and stuck it in months after the rest.

All the rest of the estate is fine, this one house is a disaster.

Grand to live in or rent out if you got it for €50k but not paying €50k more than what is quoted for before hand.